Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Engine dies out when loading boat onto trailer

4/30/21 @ 1:34 PM
ORIGINAL POST
GotABite
USER SINCE 8/7/07

My 1992 60 hp mercury 2 stroke runs like a champ on the water for its age. The engine fires up on the first turn of the key every time and runs great all day but my last 3 times out only when I load the boat onto the trailer she dies out, almost like when the engine feels resistance. I then start the engine up again and give her gas and she quits again making me jump out of the boat and into the water and use the winch the rest of the way. Anyone ever come across this problem or know why this is happening. This never was an issue before. Thanks 

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 28 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS

5/5/21 @ 10:50 AM
GotABite
USER SINCE 8/7/07

Banjo dan not sure on how many carbs on the engine. I don't know much about them.

5/4/21 @ 2:50 AM
MITYHUF
USER SINCE 5/18/20

FUEL FILTER CLOGGED

5/3/21 @ 8:40 PM
banjo dan
USER SINCE 1/5/04

I think Finbender has solid advice too, especially about the connection of the fuel line at the engine. The connection might be fine when the engine isn't trimmed-up because there's no extra fight against gravity, which might explain why you can run it all day just fine, but not fine when trimmed-up at the launch. 

If that connection is lousy, or the check valve inside your primer bulb wore out - very common - that would make sense. Trimmed-up, gas just falls back down and the pump isn't strong enough to overcome it.

How many carbs on your engine?

5/3/21 @ 3:08 PM
GotABite
USER SINCE 8/7/07

Thanks Finbender! will check all three.

5/3/21 @ 12:03 PM
Fin Bender
Fin Bender
USER SINCE 9/16/11

Here are the things I'd look at first, in order:

1) bad fuel

2) air leak (bad o-ring) at fuel line to motor connection

3) compression test

Good Luck.

5/3/21 @ 11:09 AM
GotABite
USER SINCE 8/7/07

Thanks hunt fish, I use Startron but I have to admit I use  87 octane so I should prob switch. 

5/3/21 @ 9:52 AM
huntfish
USER SINCE 6/16/03

You stated it seems to happen only when you tilt the motor at the landing, Otherwise it runs fine. I believe Banjo has some good advice regarding cause. Make sure you use premium gas and use Seafoam to clean things along the way for good maintenance.

5/2/21 @ 11:09 PM
GotABite
USER SINCE 8/7/07

Thanks banjo dan i will give it a try.

5/2/21 @ 8:58 PM
banjo dan
USER SINCE 1/5/04

If you can repeat the problem away from the launch, then it seems to me like the trimming is related to the issue. As a mechanic, 2014Ranger knows more than me and can double-check my thinking, but if trimming is the problem, then I'd probably check for a sticky float and/or needle valve in the carbs, which is pretty simple. 

(And then I might as well clean the carbs and get new gaskets if anything looks crummy because I'm already in there and it's cheap and easy, and needs to be done at some point anyway.)

I'd also try to repeat the problem away from the launch, but instead of trimming up while in neutral, try trimming up while in gear and at idle, and then give it some power and see what happens.

5/2/21 @ 8:41 PM
GotABite
USER SINCE 8/7/07

I did not get a new vehicle banjo dan but yes I will try that out next time on the water.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 28 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.