SEARCH
MORE
Boats & Motors

Engine brand for future boat

1/27/21 @ 11:11 AM
INITIAL POST
GotABite
User since 8/7/07

I am considering buying a new boat or used 2019-2020. My hp on the motor will most likely be 150. I would love to hear you opinions on recommendations on the manufacture brand. (mercury,Yamaha etc) and why? for some reason I'm drawn to Yamaha. I don't know anything about Suzuki but I'm seeing them put on boats more often these days. Ive never owned a new boat so if i go that route do I have a choice? Thanks!

Displaying 16 to 26 of 26 posts
1/29/21 @ 6:14 AM
peanut09
User since 1/17/10

I have a honda 50hp ,4 stroke and love it. I'm looking at new ones also and it would be a honda or yamaha. I have a 1995 yamaha motor on my other boat and it runs great also.  No mercury for me.

1/28/21 @ 3:05 PM
Prop
Prop
User since 4/9/03

I have a 2019 90 horse Honda on pontoon and 2017 115 merc on fishing boat. Love the Honda it's little heavier then others in the same hp but I would get another in a heartbeat. 

1/27/21 @ 3:00 PM
GotABite
User since 8/7/07

Looks nice Fishhook!

1/27/21 @ 2:40 PM
fishhook
fishhook
PRO MEMBER User since 9/16/01

Like said before,every motor is good in the eye of the beholder.

I have owned this grey Yamaha 4stroke 15 years,bought new,no issues.

I just repowered with another Yamaha,this time it is a VMax sho.

Looking forward to spring ice out to break it in, so I can run it,

like I stole it, lol.

Then fish my arse off!

1/27/21 @ 12:53 PM
Hunter&Hound
User since 7/24/01

Yamaha or Mercury.  Pretty much everyone I know runs one or the other. 

1/27/21 @ 12:46 PM
GotABite
User since 8/7/07

Thanks welder guy!

1/27/21 @ 12:44 PM
GotABite
User since 8/7/07

Thanks mattw. I appreciate all the great info! I absolutely rely on mechanics to do all repairs/maintenance on the engine as I know nothing under the hood. I am a Walleye guy. My current boat is a 1992 Smokercraft with a smokey 60 hp 2 stroke. I have owned the boat for 20 years and now I'm ready for my retirement/last boat so I'm looking to get something nice. tight lines!

1/27/21 @ 12:43 PM
WelderGuy
WelderGuy
User since 12/19/10

Personally I’d go with a Yamaha. I’ve never heard anything bad about Yamaha engines. I’ve owned 3 Yamaha atvs over the last 20 years and have had 0 issues with them. But yeah everyone is partial to a certain brand so ask 10 people you’ll usually get at least 8 different opinions. 

1/27/21 @ 12:06 PM
mattw
mattw
PRO MEMBER User since 5/6/16

You really cant go wrong with any new motor nowadays.  I prefer Yamaha , I have an older 150 Vmax on my boat now and absolutely love it . The biggest things  you gotta ask yourself is this ,  do I have the ability to be routine maintenance myself , if not who is going to do the service on this motor ? What kind of fishing,  water sports do I do ? What kind of boat am I buying and what am I using it for ?  I am a mechanic by trade so it's easy for me to do my own maintenance.  If buying brand new , look at warranties and service agreements,  everyone is a little different , find what works best for what you wanna do , and a dealer who will stand behind their products that they sell. The Mercury guys will say Mercury,  the Yamaha guys will say Yamaha, etc etc , always best to do your homework before pulling the trigger.  Good luck to you.  

Displaying 16 to 26 of 26 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing geared up by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE