SEARCH
MORE
Boats & Motors

Engine brand for future boat

1/27/21 @ 11:11 AM
INITIAL POST
GotABite
User since 8/7/07

I am considering buying a new boat or used 2019-2020. My hp on the motor will most likely be 150. I would love to hear you opinions on recommendations on the manufacture brand. (mercury,Yamaha etc) and why? for some reason I'm drawn to Yamaha. I don't know anything about Suzuki but I'm seeing them put on boats more often these days. Ive never owned a new boat so if i go that route do I have a choice? Thanks!

Displaying 1 to 15 of 26 posts
2/12/21 @ 2:49 PM
Zwiegs
User since 1/10/12

I'll switch boat brands but my motors are still Mercury!!

2/9/21 @ 7:29 PM
Jabberwalker
Jabberwalker
User since 4/21/04

"Making Oil", when you check your oil level and it is higher than the last time you checked. Usually from bad rings, leaky injector, etc., basically fuel getting into the crankcase on a 4-stroke.

I owned a 2-stroke 50 HP Mercury and never had an issue in 18 years. Bought a new Lund last year with a 90 HP 4-Stoke, so far so good, love how quiet the 4-stroke is.

2/9/21 @ 4:05 PM
Capt. Eye Catcher
User since 2/5/15

I see there is a comment about "making oil"  I am not familiar with that term.  Could someone fill me in.  

I had an evinrude etech for 20 years ran like a champ.  Bought a new boat and it came with a Mercury 115 pro xs four stroke.  Love it so far.

Thanks Capt. Eye Catcher

2/5/21 @ 6:20 PM
.Long Barrels
User since 12/9/14

Only knock on Suzuki is service availability in your area but now Evinrude dealers are scooping up Suzuki so you may be good.  Yamaha everything are great.  Honda are great motors.  EVERY dealer in WI push Merc.  It's how it is here.  I've had my Merc's...there is a reason I have a Yamaha now and Yamaha everything else. 

You always have a choice when you are buying a motor from somewhere.  Some places just sell packages,  some will sell just the boat.  I bought a new boat a few years back,  Merc dealer.  I said no way,  bought just the boat and put a Yamaha on at a different dealer.

2/5/21 @ 2:23 PM
Summers Off
User since 5/9/06

I got a 2003 or 2004, 115 Merc Optimax.  24 trips to Canada, 5 trips to Devils Lake ND, 3 other trips to NDand I have a place on Gogebic.  No issues.  Bought it new.  Save 1500-2000 ish back then vs a Yamaha 115 4 stroke.  If it dies I will buy a Yamaha.

2/4/21 @ 8:08 PM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02

I currently have 4 Yamaha four-strokes...... Three F225's and a T-8. 

The only one that ever made oil was the T-8 on the Walleye boat when the thermostat failed open. 

The twin F225's on the Salmon boats have 1450 hours and still troll awesome everytime out.

2/4/21 @ 2:18 PM
Ranger007
User since 5/2/02

I am switching from 15 year old Yamaha 4 strokes on the boat I just sold to two Suzuki 4 strokes on the Alumacraft I have on order. Overall, the Yamaha's were good, but I have been increasingly annoyed by the "making oil" condition. Was wondering how many other 4 stroke owners have been dealing with this, as I don't think I am alone?

I also had a shift rod break on the 115 that required a weld repair, and now the 8 HP kicker seems to be making oil that was not doing this the first 13 years I had it.

I don't think there is much difference in reliability between Yamaha and Suzuki, but thought I would try something different. Not sure if my Yamaha's were properly broken in as I bought the boat about a year old.

The new Suzuki 175 does take a lot of oil though. I think about 2 gallons compared to 5 quarts for the Yamaha 115. New Suzuki's have a 6 year warranty and I believe Yamaha is 5. And I think Suzuki's are a little less $$.

2/3/21 @ 5:20 PM
Symmetre
User since 5/11/20

There's no such thing as a bad 150 today. Merc, Yamaha, Suzuki, Honda are all just about bulletproof. Make your decision based on the dealer, and who's going to give you the best service if you have a problem or hit a rock.

1/31/21 @ 4:07 PM
Snake1
Snake1
PRO MEMBER User since 1/22/21

Yamahas have been my favorite for awhile now too. Awesome motor.

1/31/21 @ 12:56 PM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess
PRO MEMBER User since 12/18/07

Had lots of outboards over the years.

The two most reliable for me have been Yamaha, and Etec.  

Etecs are done, so if I had to repower, it would be a Yami.

I have a Yami on my small fishing boat and pontoon, and an Etec on my fish and ski. The Yami’s have performed well. Honda makes a great outboard, but tend to run a heavier than a Yami in some classes.

Suzuki’s are nice too, but there are not too many dealers around if you have trouble.  

1/31/21 @ 11:34 AM
GotABite
User since 8/7/07

Fritz, my first choice would have been Evinrude as well. I do all my fishing in Wisconsin so if i have to go black at least i can find a Mercury mechanic anywhere. I am looking at Lund or Alumacraft. The part I'm picky on is electronics and trolling motor, that will be a deal breaker for me!

1/29/21 @ 4:12 PM
Fritz
User since 6/27/01

I use to be like Coolhog, anything but Mercury.  But than I decided to buy a new rig last spring.  I wanted Evinrude.  But I also wanted a Lund.  Conflict of what was available since almost all Lunds come from the factory with a Merc. 

I did some research, checked several websites. As others have stated, probably can't make a bad decision today.  I went black and probably will never go back.  No problems year 1, hopefully many more to go.  Besides, Mercury is a Wisconsin Company, at least as much as anything can be these days.

I personally would be more concerned with the boat and electronics than the big motor on the back.

Fritz

1/29/21 @ 9:57 AM
GotABite
User since 8/7/07

Thank you everyone for your input!! much appreciated!

1/29/21 @ 8:58 AM
fishdaily
fishdaily
User since 4/3/03

I say go with what you want, but think of maintenance and possible repair places/ people.  

We have a much the same as you, a 20 something old Smoker craft with a 50 hp 4 stroke motor hanging on the back.  When we first got it I think I hit every submersed rock pile/ wing dam on the river systems in the state!  I think we went thru 3 lower units in the first 5 yrs.  Call it operator error, or bad dumb luck.  The motor has nvr let us down, but a few  repair places did.  After learning to be a bit more careful and slower the Merc has done for fishing, tubing, and I love the 4 stroke for its quietness and ease of care! 

We troll a lot on Winnebago and Michigan when weather permits.  I cant wait for ice out and spring walleye.!!  Enjoy your choice no matter what it is !

1/29/21 @ 7:35 AM
GRANDAD
User since 6/1/09

All motors under 60hp. Are made in China or Japan. Most under 30 hp. No matter what brand are made by Tohatsu.All are pretty good,but also all have some issues.Check Yamaha problems complaints,you will find a bunch of issues with their motors also,and the same with Merc. And Honda. Most problems are associated with a particular Hp. And or model year!How you take care of maintenance generally indicates reliability!

Displaying 1 to 15 of 26 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
ice drilled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE