Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Drotto Latching System

2/11/17 @ 5:26 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Pioneer22
USER SINCE 5/28/07

I just bought a Lund Impact 1875.  Some of the lakes I fish in Norther WI have steep landings.  We always struggle getting the eye up to the front roller and snugging the boat up with the front winch.  The drotto seems like a reasonable way to solve this problem.  My question is, has anyone used these, and what have people heard about their reliability?  I'd hate to dump my new boat on a landing after trusting this to pull it out of a steep ramp.  It says it's rated up to 6500 pounds which would more than cover the weight of my boat.  Thanks...

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 24 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS

8/20/22 @ 1:24 PM
fishhook
fishhook
USER SINCE 9/16/01

Personally, I thinks it's worth the money!

8/20/22 @ 12:27 AM
OJenJenO
OJenJenO
MEMBER SINCE 2/3/12

I hope this helps. I had one on my nitro zv19. I found it difficult to get it to latch. You got to hear it click for it to lock. I since sold the nitro and bought an Impact 1775 and I've had no problems on steep launches of locking it in without a drotto. Personally I don't think it's worth the money.

8/19/22 @ 12:52 PM
wjb123
USER SINCE 8/7/03

That helps.  Ordering one...

Sure looks like a decent way to keep your feet dry and launch/load faster.  Good thread.  thx

8/18/22 @ 11:51 AM
mattw
mattw
MEMBER SINCE 5/6/16

wjb123, I actually had a DNR official tell me that idling up is fine , but power is a huge NO, 

8/17/22 @ 10:00 AM
netmaster
MEMBER SINCE 10/22/01

I love my Drotto. It works like charm .has never failed it will pull you mout just trust it , Ten times better than the Boat Buddy I had that bent the first time I used it . very well built product I f you  have a problem just call manufacture  they will help you out. Mine hooks up to a Lund 1950 Yyee

8/16/22 @ 1:28 PM
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER SINCE 6/15/01

agree with Guidedfishing... I also trim my motor up a little to get the bow up a little if I need to do more than just glide in on certain launches... and to keep the prop from washing out the launch site

8/15/22 @ 1:15 PM
Guidedfishing
USER SINCE 8/2/01

WJB123,  as long as you get your trailer depth right, you can idle in and just a little shot to lock yourself in.   Once your locked in no need to keep the motor running, shut it down and trim up.  I can just as easy walk to the front of the boat and throw on the safety chain and winch strap as I can jump on the dock if one is available pull up a few feet and then put them on.

8/11/22 @ 3:15 PM
wjb123
USER SINCE 8/7/03

I am thinking of getting one.   Anyone catch any grief about the no power loading regulations in WI when using the drotto?

I was always under the assumption that meant you can't goose it up the trailer and leave it under power while you run to the front and hook up your winch strap.  But I've heard of people getting yelled at for idling in, which seems like the way 30% of boaters load their boats. 

5/21/22 @ 11:24 AM
Jerry K
MEMBER SINCE 10/11/08

This is my Fifth Year with the Drotto and I have No Complaints whatsoever. Locks Every Time. Maintenance is low other than lubricating Jaws. The Drotto is your second person to help when your by yourself.

5/21/22 @ 10:15 AM
BâssÂddîçt ©¸
BâssÂddîçt ©¸
That video that I posted is from a group of guys who fish all the time on the same Lake as me they have a roller trailer and use drotto 

Did not have the safety chain on and the Drotto was not locked in as they backed into the water and the boat slid off the trailer

So make sure you use some caution and leave that safety chain on till you hit the water edge when backing up on the boat launch especially when it's on an angle

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 24 POSTS
Advertise here
Okuma’s new Ceymar HD spinning reels are lightweight and feature-packed. These reels are constructed with a corrosion-resistant frame, side plate and rotor. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: OKUMA FISHING TACKLE - NEW Ceymar HD Spinning Reel
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.