Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Drotto Latching System

2/11/17 @ 5:26 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Pioneer22
USER SINCE 5/28/07

I just bought a Lund Impact 1875.  Some of the lakes I fish in Norther WI have steep landings.  We always struggle getting the eye up to the front roller and snugging the boat up with the front winch.  The drotto seems like a reasonable way to solve this problem.  My question is, has anyone used these, and what have people heard about their reliability?  I'd hate to dump my new boat on a landing after trusting this to pull it out of a steep ramp.  It says it's rated up to 6500 pounds which would more than cover the weight of my boat.  Thanks...

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 16 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS

5/21/22 @ 11:24 AM
Jerry K
MEMBER SINCE 10/11/08

This is my Fifth Year with the Drotto and I have No Complaints whatsoever. Locks Every Time. Maintenance is low other than lubricating Jaws. The Drotto is your second person to help when your by yourself.

5/21/22 @ 10:15 AM
BâssÂddîçt ©¸
BâssÂddîçt ©¸
That video that I posted is from a group of guys who fish all the time on the same Lake as me they have a roller trailer and use drotto 

Did not have the safety chain on and the Drotto was not locked in as they backed into the water and the boat slid off the trailer

So make sure you use some caution and leave that safety chain on till you hit the water edge when backing up on the boat launch especially when it's on an angle

5/20/22 @ 10:05 PM
chrome-dome
chrome-dome
USER SINCE 4/4/13

Had mine for two years. HIGHLY recommend one. Do a lot of launching by myself and it is easy. Takes a bit of getting use to but works great with the bunk trailer. 

2020 1875 impact 

5/4/22 @ 10:25 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
USER SINCE 7/20/09

Any issues with it not latching properly after a few years of use?  We got my dad one for Christmas but he leaves his trailer outside all year and he was wondering how it would hold up.  I don't think it was stainless.  He ended up never trying it and took it back...

5/4/22 @ 7:45 AM
tackleboxtn
MEMBER SINCE 12/30/01

Had drotto for several yrs, NEVER take both strap and safety chain before boat is over water. This is true on steep launches & roller trailers, I've had the drotto open because of very rough landings, not going fast either. Sh?t happens and dropping the boat on the landing is not good. 

5/3/22 @ 1:14 PM
Fishin Deep
Fishin Deep
USER SINCE 1/1/11

Ours has worked well once we started backing the trailer deep enough to get the eye very near the same depth as the Drotto. Dont like power loading and forcing the boat up to the Drotto on my bunks.  We have a G3 Angler V21 with a 250 SHO VMaxx and a kicker. Plenty of weight! Seems fine.

5/3/22 @ 10:22 AM
madforlabs
USER SINCE 12/20/12

I'm aware of a circumstance where a boat dropped off the trailer on dry land with a Drotto system where chain and strap had been removed. In this case, the operator trailered the boat with the release lever attached while in transit. Drotto manual warns not to transport with lever attached for just that reason.

P.S.  I own a Drotto.  Think it's great.

5/3/22 @ 9:12 AM
Fish Hound
USER SINCE 1/29/02

I have the Drotto on my 21' glass boat as well, wouldn't be without it. Much simpler process if I'm alone and if somebody is with me they never have to get out of the truck at launch or retrieve.

Nowhere in the video BA posted did I see it caused by a Drotto, my guess would be he is misleading people either intentionally or unintentionally. I've had nothing but positive experiences with it and many come and ask questions at the launch.

5/3/22 @ 8:48 AM
fishhook
fishhook
USER SINCE 9/16/01

I have the Drotto on my boat trailer. 

So much easier launching,or loading your boat,especially when fishing by yourself.

5/3/22 @ 8:42 AM
Guidedfishing
USER SINCE 8/2/01

Well the whole idea behind the Drotto and the purpose it fills very well is allowing you to remove the safety chain and winch strap while that area of the trailer tongue is still above dry land just as your putting your boat in.  Its then very easy to back up the few extra feet then release your boat from its secure grasp.   Same with loading it allows you to drive on and lock the boat in then you are able to pull ahead just enough to attach the winch and safety without getting wet.  You could also latch the winch strap and safety if you can reach it when your coming out I suppose.  Either way either putting in or taking out it allows you to safely remove the safety chain and winch strap just before the point you would have to get wet.   Very slick setup.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 16 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.