MENU Lake-Link.com MORE

Draining a fuel tank

3/12/19 @ 7:05 PM
ORIGINAL POST
ere
ere
USER since 2/22/07

Thinking of draining my fuel tank looking for best method.  Boat sat last year, fuel was treated, non ethanol.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 10 Posts
3/14/19 @ 11:40 AM
getinout
getinout
USER since 12/22/09

Use a syphin.  I'm able to remove about 99% of the fuel in my tank.  I do it every fall.  Bought a nice ball type syphin on AMAZON.  It has a brass end peice that slids past the gas tank valve nicely.  It has a long hose with a strong rubber ball.  Payed about $20 for it.  Simple and easy. 

Post Your Comment
3/13/19 @ 8:34 PM
ere
ere
USER since 2/22/07

Good deal, thanks for all the input.

Post Your Comment
3/13/19 @ 7:11 PM
Plmlk
Plmlk
MEMBER since 12/18/07

If the fuel was treated I don't believe you will have any issues.  

If you're worried about it, I'd use one of those shaker siphons, they work unbelievably well.  

If you have a few gallons left, just put in a double dose of Sea Foam, and fill it up with fresh gas.

The above said, I really doubt you'll have any issues.  I have a generator at my cabin that gets used sparingly.  In order for me to use it two things have to happen.  1) I have to actually be up north 2) We have to lose power.  

Long story short, the same gas is in there around 2-years - have not had an issue yet...

Post Your Comment
3/13/19 @ 6:27 PM
river_chaser
river_chaser
USER since 10/3/12

i wouldnt worry about a couple gallons being left behind.  Put in a bunch of seafoam with your new gas and that will take care of any potential varnish.

Post Your Comment
3/13/19 @ 10:24 AM
westfieldW
westfieldW
USER since 10/9/16

As long as you have non-ethanol gas in there I would not even worry about it. The last five years because of back issues I have left my Harley sit with a full tank of gas. I drive it three times a year down to the boat launch and back just to keep the motor fresh from locking up. Never had a problem.

Edited on 3/13/19 3:43 PM
Post Your Comment
3/13/19 @ 10:23 AM
woodturner
woodturner
USER since 2/12/04

If the gas has Stabil in it then it should be fine to use.

True story, I have a 10hp coleman generator. Filled gas tank and double treated with Stabil then stored in shed. Would start and run it every summer for 10-15 minutes then back in the shed, did this for 9 years. On year 10 it would hardly start and then ran terrible, drained the gas and cleaned the carb refilled with fresh stabilized gas and its good to go again.

I certainly wouldn't run my outboard on gas that old, way too expensive to fix than a cheap generator.

Post Your Comment
3/13/19 @ 9:26 AM
ere
ere
USER since 2/22/07

Yes it is a built in tank, Was just worried about not getting it all via pumping. I've never burned any ethanol in it since purchased new 5 years ago.

Post Your Comment
3/13/19 @ 6:37 AM
SnakeSter
SnakeSter
MEMBER since 7/9/12

You can get a hand pump cheap. Might need another person if you can keep suction end at low point.

Post Your Comment
3/12/19 @ 8:05 PM
river_chaser
river_chaser
USER since 10/3/12

portable or built in tank? makes a difference

if its portable then use a funnel and pour into another gas can then pour it all into your cars tank.  properly stabalized gas should be good for 2 years.

Post Your Comment