Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

cracked keel

7/14/15 @ 5:55 PM
ORIGNAL POST
STING RAY
User since 6/1/08
So whats the fix on a cracked keel? I have a 18 ft smoker craft the other day out fishing I noticed i took on a lot of water. I got home and filled the boat up with water to find the leak and found a 8 to 9 inch crack in the front keel. Anybody have any knowledge on getting it fixed?

DISPLAYING 11 TO 13 OF 13 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
7/14/15 @ 8:26 PM
smokercraft427
MEMBER since 4/16/06
After looking at your picture again, I'm concerned that even if you repair the crack as I previously described that might not stop it from continuing to crack below the repaired section. ??? I'd take it to a boat repair shop for there expert opinion.

7/14/15 @ 8:21 PM
smokercraft427
MEMBER since 4/16/06
I'm by no means a boat repair man. I'm a plumber/pipefitter by trade. A few years ago at the Madison fishing expo, I bought a pack of "welding rod" that was being demonstrated to weld/repair aluminum or copper. The guy was sealing up holes and rips he put in pop cans. Being in the trades, i thought this was awesome! I'd never seen anything like it and I thought it might come in handy one day so I bought some. The stuff is actually very easy to use, similar to soldering a copper fitting together only with an aluminum rod. I have no doubt that by slightly widening the crack with a thin grinding wheel and cleaning it, this rod or something like it would fix that permanently. You would see the repair, but a keel guard would cover it? My point in saying all this is, I'm sure that an actual boat repair shop would be able to take care of that fairly easily. If you can't find someone to do it, send me a PM. I'll see if I can find the couple of sticks I have left, if you're handy with soldering at all and willing to give it a shot I'll get them to you. I might have two or three laying around. One or two to practice and one to repair should be plenty.

DISPLAYING 11 TO 13 OF 13 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.