MORE
Boats & Motors

Converting outboard to a tiller motor??

10/22/19 @ 10:16 AM
INITIAL POST
buckhound
buckhound
User since 4/18/06

I never heard of a conversion kit, but can a '03 50hp Johnson be turned into a tiller motor?Thinking of modifying my rig from a console. Don't know till you ask...

Displaying 1 to 6 of 6 posts
10/22/19 @ 11:26 PM
MileMark_714
MileMark_714
User since 12/26/10

2 or 4 stroke?If it's a 4 stroke,you can get a tiller kit for it(Suzuki made).If 2 stroke,that's probably a holdover from OMC days,and probably parts are obsolete(new).Check Boats dot net for parts.ebay is good,but make sure parts are correct.

A lot of mid-range models come from factory as remote,then dealer installs tiller kit.But a lot of OMC mid-range models were factory tiller,and wired different than remote.The one I did in the mid 90s required the remote wire harness to be removed,and the tiller was wired direct.Could not find an adapter harness.

Anything is possible,but get a service manual to make sure you get all the correct parts to convert.

Mercury mid-range 4 strokes come from the factory with a primitive tiller,but if you want the big tiller,should start with a remote model.  

10/22/19 @ 9:39 PM
Fishn Jimmy
Fishn Jimmy
User since 7/21/01

Actually it's a quick deal... much less difficult then going the other way... tiller to consul ..

Look on ebay for a tiller set up.. they run used around 250 at least the last time I did one.. NEW will  be 6-700  a big range of fitment for them.. you may need a patch cable for the wiring harness.... plug and play... NO biggie.

I'm sure you can check you tube for instructions... EZ.

Good Luck !

10/22/19 @ 4:02 PM
Tuffy2
User since 7/7/04

OMC back in those days made a tiller handle kit to make that conversion. It is a lot of work. You even had to paint the handle as it came just primed. It was used for Evinrude and Johnson. Your best of looking for a different motor.

10/22/19 @ 3:05 PM
sheephead
User since 2/8/17

I checked with a dealer about doing that to a 25 HP. They said exactly that. It would be more cost effective to buy a tiller motor.

10/22/19 @ 2:52 PM
bassaddic
bassaddic
User since 8/20/07

Anything is possible. You could find a trashed motor of that model and buy the handle, controls etc. My 2 cents would be to sell your motor and buy a tiller. The cost and time spent would probably not be worth it. 

Displaying 1 to 6 of 6 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
solid hook sets by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE