MORE
Boats & Motors

Calibration of tach

6/15/21 @ 2:48 PM
INITIAL POST
hntesox
hntesox
User since 1/11/02

I have a 97 Mariner 60. My old tach failed so I purchased a new one and i estimate it approximately 250 rpms off at WOT. It does have a calibration screw on the back as well as the settings for reading the motor pulses. ( set on 6p as was my original) How would I correctly and accurately calibrate the new tach to the engine? Prior to the new tach my wot was about 250 rpms higher as well as my idle rpms seem to be reading low.

Displaying 1 to 6 of 6 posts
6/16/21 @ 7:50 AM
jitterbug1962
User since 12/14/14

The nice thing about using an optical tach is you can check it accuracy by pointing at an incandescent light bulb. 60 hertz system should read 3600 rpms. I know small engine guys use tachometers but again accuracy may be an issue but may be worth checking it out.

6/15/21 @ 7:28 PM
hntesox
hntesox
User since 1/11/02

Now I feel like a complete idiot. Hand held tach is what I need. Thanks for filling me in. 

6/15/21 @ 6:59 PM
hntesox
hntesox
User since 1/11/02

No computer. Tiller model. I only estimate the “ 250 rpms difference” to explain my situation. If I am going to adjust, I want to be exact. I have never heard of a hand held tach... I will look into that.

6/15/21 @ 6:11 PM
jitterbug1962
User since 12/14/14

I take it there is no computer on that motor so I would try and locate a hand held tachometer with a piece of reflective tape on the flywheel.

6/15/21 @ 6:00 PM
LUV2HNT
User since 11/3/03

While on the water with a 1/8" flat head or small Phillips screwdriver turn the adjustment screw 180. Take it for a spin and keep adjusting from there. If like me, it means keeping under the console clear so you can get on your back with a flashlight or headlamp. My Lund new from the factory was backwards...

Displaying 1 to 6 of 6 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing fueled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE