Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Buying a new boat trailer.

10/30/20 @ 2:34 PM
ORIGINAL POST
GotABite
USER SINCE 8/7/07

I am looking to replace my boat trailer in the near future. I have had a roller trailer for the past 17 years. I am not sure if I  should switch to a bunk or stay roller? I am by myself in the boat (17 foot boat) and have a tough time getting the boat back on the trailer sometimes so just trying to find out which one might be easier? The other question is trailer brands any specific brand easier than the other or better? Thanks

DISPLAYING 11 TO 20 OF 34 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS

3/2/21 @ 8:08 AM
fishs
USER SINCE 2/17/04

wldh....what brand slides do you have.

3/1/21 @ 9:11 PM
Herb2
USER SINCE 12/28/18

Roller trailer lets us pick boat up in very shallow landings that bunk guys cannot use.

Depends where you fish!!!

3/1/21 @ 9:01 PM
Woods-N-Water
USER SINCE 9/17/16

I too have had both.  No thanks to roller trailers.

3/1/21 @ 6:07 PM
huntfish
USER SINCE 6/16/03

I have had both also and hated the roller trailer as it never loaded right. Current bunk trailer is flawless and easy. Roller is king for shallow water though.

3/1/21 @ 2:13 PM
JC-Wisconsin
USER SINCE 4/1/05

I have used both.  I see no advantage to a roller trailer, and frankly every roller trailer I have used is a pain.  The bunks - you can power load, run it in deeper to float it on if the launch is deep enough, etc.  I guess the only advantage for a roller trailer is if you had a light boat and you were using a landing that was extremely shallow so you didn't have to step out of your truck and into the lake   

3/1/21 @ 11:12 AM
eyesman
eyesman
USER SINCE 1/7/02

When you need to chose between a roller/bunk trailer you have to answer a few questions to yourself. Those being what do you have for a boat, how often you will launch and then load alone and what the landings you use most often are like in terms of water depth and how steep the grade is. If you launch alone frequently on flat shallow water landing a bunk style will be near useless. If you use a bunk and drive on how able are you to climb out of the boat once loaded, easy when you are young, tuff once you get older. If you only fish with a friend along launching and loading obstacles are more easily overcome. Likewise launching and loading a simple vee hull fishing boat versus an 18-20’ glass boat are two entirely different things. I have a 16 1/2’ vee hull with a 40 hp on a Shorelander roller trailer. I most often launch and load alone on all types of landings. The key with the roller trailer is to learn how deep to get the trailer in the water, too deep especially with a steeper ramp and the transom will float and put all the weight on the keel rollers which makes it harder to work with.  

3/1/21 @ 10:19 AM
wldh
MEMBER SINCE 3/14/08

I have a 19 ft. alum. deep v and a karvan custom bunk trailer when carpet got bad replaced bunks with pressure treated pine and put slide guides on bare wood. When launching you better not unhook on ramp until in water as boat may slide off, they are very slippery. Loading you can drive on or float boat on where power loading is not allowed. I have had many boats and different trailers and the secret for your boat to center on the trailer is to pull out of water slowly. Have had both bunks and rollers and boating for 50 + years I'll take a bunk over roller any day. Slide guides are a must and boat to trailer latch also great.

2/28/21 @ 10:41 PM
Fishn Jimmy
Fishn Jimmy
MEMBER SINCE 7/21/01

I am also on the band wagon for "ShoreLander" roller trailers I fish mainly alone 3-5 times a week.. I'm 86 and have No trouble launching or retrieving ..my 16' Yarcraft

There are some differences in them but having the right one for "your" boat is the key answer.

Mine are always double back rollers and the single pivoting 4 roller center front roller.. for me they are the Best !

Jimmy

2/28/21 @ 3:33 PM
mattw
mattw
MEMBER SINCE 5/6/16

Awesome post BassAdict,  will look at mine once I get the rig out of storage , looks pretty straight to install. 

2/28/21 @ 7:59 AM
BâssÂddîçt ©¸
BâssÂddîçt ©¸
Once the fabric is gone on mine

Too

Gatorbak Synthetic Bunk Cover

DISPLAYING 11 TO 20 OF 34 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.