SEARCH
MORE
Boats & Motors

Buying a new boat trailer.

10/30/20 @ 2:34 PM
INITIAL POST
GotABite
User since 8/7/07

I am looking to replace my boat trailer in the near future. I have had a roller trailer for the past 17 years. I am not sure if I  should switch to a bunk or stay roller? I am by myself in the boat (17 foot boat) and have a tough time getting the boat back on the trailer sometimes so just trying to find out which one might be easier? The other question is trailer brands any specific brand easier than the other or better? Thanks

Displaying 1 to 15 of 34 posts
4/2/21 @ 4:57 PM
haf2fsh
PRO MEMBER User since 6/23/01

Hit the jack pot yesterday, found a beauty in Fond Du Lac yesterday.  Shore Land'r bunk, 20 ft. heavy duty, looked like new.  Was posted on Lake-Link classified. Now just to adjust to my boat.

4/1/21 @ 9:22 AM
E-Tec 1
PRO MEMBER User since 6/27/10

haf2fsh look on Galles Marine site under used trailers he has a 2016 with pictures  he is in Wisconsin Rapids

3/31/21 @ 10:01 PM
haf2fsh

I've checked everywhere's, no one has size I need. Got three dealers checking for me also. One person told me maybe he'd have one by May. Checking on a used one about 100 miles north of me tomorrow. I can't believe there's such a shortage.  Maybe I can make old one limp along for short trips !!

3/31/21 @ 4:54 PM
Pool8
User since 1/27/17

Kendor marine may have what you need. Franklin wi.

3/31/21 @ 2:58 PM
Mountain
Mountain
User since 1/7/02

haf2fsh

I got one in about 3 weeks from Daves Sport and Marine in Kaukauna. Not sure where you are located.

Mountain

3/6/21 @ 12:48 PM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess
PRO MEMBER User since 12/18/07

Have you looked on Craigslist or EBay? 

3/3/21 @ 9:04 AM
beanthewalleyslayer
beanthewalleyslayer
User since 1/18/10

Try starks In P.D.C.  not sure but worth a try!

3/2/21 @ 7:11 PM
haf2fsh

I know all the pro's and con's on types of trailers..  I have  more serious problem, I need a new trailer "now"!!  Can't find one, everyplace is telling me June at best. Anybody able to put a rabbit out of there hat ? Need to be able to handle an 18" Crestliner Canadian. Looking new, replacing a 18 year old Shorelander rust has eaten up, will travel if I have too. Thanks 

3/2/21 @ 11:12 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09

My current boat has a roller trailer.  Its the most free-wheeling one I've owned.  The second I unhook its ready to go.  I basically launch by unhooking and then stepping into the boat.  It rolls off the trailer all in one motion and I drive to the dock.  That's the easiest way to launch it by myself.  If I had to hold a rope, it would be coming off the trailer before I got back on the dock.  I like this since it makes launching very fast for me when by myself, but I'm obviously crawling over the front of the boat yet.  Cons would be loading, it wants to roll right back down if I drive all the way up.  Pro is that its easy to winch up however, so its not a big deal.

I should be getting a new boat in April if there aren't any more delays....that one will have bunks.  Its a 19' boat though and I'd rather have that on bunks than all that weight on small rollers.  

Regardless of type of trailer, I think I will look into getting a Drotto boat latch or something similar so that I can drive up and latch it.  Then you don't have to worry about crawling over the boat to launch or load, you can do it all from inside the boat. As long as you back the trailer in near the dock, just step from the dock to the gunnel and into the boat, not bad at all.  Should work for older guys if crawling around is an issue.

3/2/21 @ 10:34 AM
wldh
User since 3/14/08

To the many inquires of what slide guides I have they are called SURFIX INC purchased on Amazon. Several of my friends that have new trailers have bought them and have nothing but good to say about them. You can buy varies widths and lengths for any applications. Hope this helps.

3/2/21 @ 8:08 AM
fishs
User since 2/17/04

wldh....what brand slides do you have.

3/1/21 @ 9:11 PM
Herb2
User since 12/28/18

Roller trailer lets us pick boat up in very shallow landings that bunk guys cannot use.

Depends where you fish!!!

3/1/21 @ 9:01 PM
Woods-N-Water
User since 9/17/16

I too have had both.  No thanks to roller trailers.

3/1/21 @ 6:07 PM
huntfish
User since 6/16/03

I have had both also and hated the roller trailer as it never loaded right. Current bunk trailer is flawless and easy. Roller is king for shallow water though.

3/1/21 @ 2:13 PM
JC-Wisconsin
User since 4/1/05

I have used both.  I see no advantage to a roller trailer, and frankly every roller trailer I have used is a pain.  The bunks - you can power load, run it in deeper to float it on if the launch is deep enough, etc.  I guess the only advantage for a roller trailer is if you had a light boat and you were using a landing that was extremely shallow so you didn't have to step out of your truck and into the lake   

Displaying 1 to 15 of 34 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
percision control by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE