Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Buying a new boat trailer.

10/30/20 @ 1:34 PM
ORIGINAL POST
GotABite
User since 8/7/07

I am looking to replace my boat trailer in the near future. I have had a roller trailer for the past 17 years. I am not sure if I  should switch to a bunk or stay roller? I am by myself in the boat (17 foot boat) and have a tough time getting the boat back on the trailer sometimes so just trying to find out which one might be easier? The other question is trailer brands any specific brand easier than the other or better? Thanks

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 14 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
11/15/20 @ 8:13 AM
Sswpriz
User since 5/8/02

Okay, I see it is the Ford/Chevy type of discussion. One last thing I need to say, is maybe Lund and shorelander got together on the roller trailers, because mine works so slick with my aluminum boat. 16.5' with a 50hp 4 stroke, about 1800#. All I have to do is get the front of the boat even close to the centers of the two rear rollers and it literally swings in and self centers itself, even if the back end of the boat is several feet not centered when I start cranking. I must have launched and loaded about 100 times this summer and only once did I have any issue and that was with a strong side wind blowing on the back end if the boat. I even had one occasion where I could not get the back rollers into the water because the launch was so shallow, so the rollers were about 6" above the water, and the boat cranked up perfectly. I would have never been able to do that with a bunk trailer . Everybodies situation is different.

11/14/20 @ 8:49 PM
haf2fsh
MEMBER since 6/23/01

I'm due for a new trailer next year,  after 18 years trailer has some serious rust spots and most of the rollers are in bad shape. Plus wiring not good.  If I had a fishing partner who could back a trailer, I'd get a bunk no question. Two guys working together can get a boat in or out on a bunk really quick. Down side is some guys tear up the launch trying too power load. I fish alone 99% of the time, I've modified my trailer with boards so I can walk my boat on. Only have to crank it up about 4  foot.  Got to wear my duck feet at some landings.           

11/8/20 @ 3:06 PM
12packabs
12packabs
User since 12/19/06

I've always had bunks, but I have seen guys cussing and swearing at their roller trailers trying to get the boat on straight in the past.  Also have seen many just pop right on without problems.  Probably depends on the all the variable factors (boat, roller positioning, relative size of boat to the trailer, etc.)

11/1/20 @ 7:57 AM
Plmlk
Brent Hess
MEMBER since 12/18/07

I have similar experience as Anthony, double bunks - and she self-centers, and goes on easy and straight. 

I’ve never had a trailer with rollers, so I can’t offer any pros or cons...

The Woodlands Resort
(262) 661-3968
11/1/20 @ 7:41 AM
GotABite
User since 8/7/07

Thanks Anthony. I can launch the boat with my eyes closed and zero effort but getting the boat back on the trailer takes me at least 3 try's and at times I have get into the water and pull her in myself. I'm not a newbie with this, I have owned this boat and trailer for going on 17 years. One of my fishing buddies has an 18 foot Lund on a bunk trailer one day while in my boat he said let me try, he couldn't get it on the trailer. This is why I'm thinking of switching to a bunk.

10/31/20 @ 10:22 PM
Tuffy2
MEMBER since 7/7/04

My boat is 14 1/2 feet, but I have owned bass boats up to 18 1/2 feet. Never had a problem with bunk trailers. If the bunks are adjustable, just make sure you adjust them correctly. If you buy a trailer that’s made for your boat you should not have a problem.

10/31/20 @ 6:51 PM
anthony714
User since 10/22/11

theres pros and cons to both. i love a bunk, especially if you get double on both sides. makes for good support and forms a cradle so all you really need to do is get the bow somewhere between the middle bunks and she will almost self center herself and you drive right up...theres maybe 3 times where it doesnt go right in the middle .one think ive notice with rollers is they are easier to get a boat off but they tend to make the boat sit higher in the water, needing deeper water to launch.so the bunks may not come off as easy they tend to need less water.

10/31/20 @ 2:51 PM
GotABite
User since 8/7/07

Thanks Tuffy Both boat and trailer look very sharp! may i ask the length of your boat? 

10/31/20 @ 10:18 AM
Tuffy2
MEMBER since 7/7/04

I went through this same thing this spring. I bought a Trailmaster custom trailer. The trailer is built to fit your boat. The 2x6 bunks are all welded In place along with the guide bunks. I ordered the C Channel so it’s less likely to rust, custom painted, chromed wheels, swing tongue, LED lights, matching spare tire. I bought it through Jalensky’s, plus they took my trailer in trade. I have always had a bunk trailer. The only thing I would add is a two speed winch for the real shallow launches, or the no power loading launches.

10/31/20 @ 9:40 AM
GotABite
User since 8/7/07

Thank you for your responses!

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 14 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.