SEARCH
MORE
Boats & Motors

Bow lights Too Short

6/30/21 @ 11:17 AM
INITIAL POST
Cold Front
User since 7/9/01

Put my bow lights on for the first time  a couple of weeks ago. I noticed that they are hardly visible from the port side due to the Ulterra sitting up there. I have not been able to find a long enough bow light to take the place of the 12.5 inch light that came with the new Yarcraft. Any ideas? I need about 3 inches more. Thanks. Mrt.

Displaying 1 to 14 of 14 posts
7/27/21 @ 11:09 AM
earlyretirement
earlyretirement
User since 3/2/13

I read this and thought.... night time hunting in wisconsin??   Gots to love thee english language. 

7/27/21 @ 9:10 AM
hntesox
hntesox
User since 1/11/02

I have read that the LED light strips are not coast guard approved. If deciding to go that route, I’d check into it. IMO I would not go with just LED strips. Too many questions that you might have an issue with the wrong guy who is checking you. Why give them a reason to check you…

7/23/21 @ 7:06 PM
Zwiegs
User since 1/10/12

I'd get the red/green LED light strips or light bars and put on the side of the boat.  Then you don't have to worry about light pole.  I hve not heard that LED lights are not legal, many manufacutrers are putting them on these days.

7/10/21 @ 7:29 AM
7/8/21 @ 4:49 PM
hntesox
hntesox
User since 1/11/02

All I did is buy a stern light and cut the top off and replaced the stern light top with the bow section (red/green). It’s very easy to do. Just cut the wires and reconnect and heat shrink.

7/8/21 @ 10:03 AM
JC-Wisconsin
User since 4/1/05

Not so simple.  I have heard and read that navigation lights must be coast guard approved.  LED lights don't qualify.  Also, if the bow light is not high enough you could be cited also.  Interesting read here:

https://www.lsonews.com/boat-light-strips-must-meet-uscg-standards/

7/8/21 @ 8:33 AM
mlures
PRO MEMBER User since 4/19/10

LED lights on the side of the boat. Simple.

7/8/21 @ 7:52 AM
Cold Front
User since 7/9/01

Found a longer shafted Bow light at Cedar Lake Sales in Westbend. The brand was Attwood. It sits up High enough to be visible over the Ulterra. Thanks. Mrt.

7/2/21 @ 2:54 PM
Fishn Jimmy
Fishn Jimmy
User since 7/21/01

Kendor Marine.....  In  Franklin on Ryan rd. has a large selection here is an example below  17" tall

Attwood Boat Navigation Bow Light NV6LC2-14BP1 | LightArmor Task Light (greatlakesskipper.com)

7/2/21 @ 9:38 AM
Cold Front
User since 7/9/01

The shaft is smooth and round with a guide pin on the side. Mrt.

7/2/21 @ 6:52 AM
BâssÂddîçt ©¸
BâssÂddîçt ©¸
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01

Darn it I have the Ulterra also and have never checked this problem

Have yet to launch at night

Thanks for the heads up

7/1/21 @ 11:02 PM
prov
prov
User since 12/21/04

I second the led strips-you could barely see my bow lights it was unsafe.Now you have to be blind not to see my boat from over a mile.Best 20 bucks i have spent on amazon.Wired right into original wiring for bow light.

6/30/21 @ 11:38 AM
PimplySwede
User since 1/6/09

What does the bottom portion that goes into the base look like?  Is it just a smooth round shaft, or does it have some sort of plastic collar added to it?

Seasense and Attwood have 14" models.  Perko has a 40" inch model.

Displaying 1 to 14 of 14 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
boat towed by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE