Bow chain

5/3/21 @ 9:37 PM
INITIAL POST
Musky99
User since 8/8/11

I bought a used fiber glass lund.

there is not a bow chain.

Is it needed on a bunk trailer?

If needed, does it attach to loop on main beam down below? Seems odd.

Displaying 1 to 6 of 6 posts
5/11/21 @ 4:35 AM
WelderGuy
WelderGuy
User since 12/19/10

Yeah the safety chain on your winch is just as important as the safety chains on your trailer. I wouldn’t tow without it. 

5/11/21 @ 12:30 AM
Master_Piker
Master_Piker
User since 12/7/05

In my opinion, you need one. If it isn't required by DOT, it should be! All you need is a 12-16" piece of welded chain, two quick links and a hook for the bow eye. If you're worried about the chain hitting your boat (it shouldn't, but you never know) or trailer, then get a piece of vinyl tubing and put the chain through it. I've had a winch strap break and also had the lever that keeps the winch from unwinding fail, both of which the safety chain saved my boat (and I, too, have a bunk trailer). I also replace my winch strap every 3 years, whether is shows wear or not. They are $15...a heckuva lot cheaper than an insurance claim and time on the water missed! A DIY safety chain will run you about $8-10 at most hardware stores. Why wouldn't you do it? That's my $.02

5/6/21 @ 11:11 AM
nihsif
nihsif
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01

my FH1750 trailer didn't have a safety chain, went to the local True Value hardware and they helped make one out of cable, worked great!... we picked out the raw materials, and they assembled

5/5/21 @ 9:20 PM
mattw
mattw
PRO MEMBER User since 5/6/16

The Ranger I bought last year same thing , strap no chain, first thing I bought was a chain and installed it . I had a winch go bad on my last boat and it was a bunk trailer just like what I have now , was cruising home noticed something didn't look right after a few miles of bumps , sure enough the winch loosened up and the bow safety chain was the only thing besides the rear straps holding the boat on the trailer.  I won't own a boat and trailer without one on it from here on out .

5/4/21 @ 12:39 PM
prop-buster
prop-buster
User since 6/14/05

yes, it attaches to the loop below. I have always had bunk trailers and  wouldn't be without one...it isn't only for loading/unloading, if the strap breaks there is nothing holding down the bow of the boat if a big gust of wind hits it...IMHO of course

Displaying 1 to 6 of 6 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish located by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE