SEARCH
MORE
Boats & Motors

Boat re-power

6/25/21 @ 2:05 PM
INITIAL POST
joeblue83
User since 5/15/13

Looking at a good deal on a new evinrude 2019 135HO to replace my 2006 evinrude 90 on my alumacraft trophy 175. I know evinrude is out of business and i had good luck with my 90. Any comments or suggestions. I can get the ecinrude with 3yr warranty for 9700$

Displaying 1 to 15 of 48 posts
3/23/22 @ 7:34 PM
robofisher
User since 5/24/21

I just repowered my 2011 Alumacraft 165CS with a Yamaha 50HP 4STK for $5700 with trade. I thought that was a very fair price installed. Galles Marine in Wisconsin Rapids. The owner and Jean were great to work with.

I noticed in the showroom they had a 25HP, it's also on their website.

3/16/22 @ 1:02 PM
sheephead
User since 2/8/17

Outa line the motor is manual start and tilt. I didn'[t want another battery in the boat. Put it on this morning and it purs. Got ity at Mid State marine in Fremont. So far happy with how I was treated.

3/16/22 @ 8:56 AM
Outa line
User since 8/9/21

Holy Mackerel Sheep, for that price I’d buy 2 - lol. I knew that $5300 was high. I had more/less given up but I’ll keep lookin for one in that range.  

3/15/22 @ 8:48 AM
sheephead
User since 2/8/17

Outa line price on the motor was $3700 out the door. Motor and 6 gallon tank. I called around and not another dealer with that motor and was told no way to get one. This is the long shaft.  Only one they had. 

3/15/22 @ 7:38 AM
Outa line
User since 8/9/21

Sheep, what did ya pay for that 25 Yam? Was lookin at that exact motor (long shaft). Dealer told me they had no idea when they would get any. Wouldn’t even take an order but did quote me about $5300 - I thought that was high. My 04 Yam 25 has issues.

3/15/22 @ 12:35 AM
sheephead
User since 2/8/17

slight upgrade today. Went to a dealer to get oil and filter for my 115 yamaha. While I was there starting looking at new motors. I also have a smaller boat with a 1989 Johnson 25 horse tiller. Well now I will be the proud owner of 2 Yamahas. Bought a 2022  25 horse tiller to replace the old Johnson. Pick it up on Wednesday, Can't wait to try it out. Should sip gas and has the RPM control to dial in trolling speed. Anyone looking for a good running 25 horse Johnson?

9/22/21 @ 3:34 PM
joeblue83
User since 5/15/13

Gonna pull the trigger and pick up a ss prop. The oem now is 14.8 x 17.  Trying to find one thats 14.8 x 15. I cant find anything thats the same size. All i can find is one that 14.5 x 15 and a 15x15.  I want a better holeshot and higher top speed. Which if either of these will accomplish this

8/24/21 @ 8:25 AM
EZ
User since 7/3/01

I misread your post; that's where the 14 pitch came from.  Going from the 17 to the 15 is a step in the right direction.  I would still check the cavitation plate when trimmed out at speed and see if it's "dragging"  below the water surface, or "skimming". Getting it where it needs to be can have a big impact on performance. Then tweak your prop selection.

8/24/21 @ 7:21 AM
joeblue83
User since 5/15/13

Dont know where a 14 pitch prop came from but i have a 17 pitch on now and debating on buying a ss prop with 15 pitch. Hoping that would allow higher rpms and higher top speed

8/23/21 @ 4:19 PM
EZ
User since 7/3/01

For what it's worth, a couple other thoughts crossed my mind after yesterday's post. First, I did not make it clear that  you'd have to go DOWN in pitch to get the rpm's up.  Conventional wisdom would say that you do not want to run the boat under the WOT rpm range recommended by the manufacturer, but rather shoot for something in the middle, or above middle. Remember that if you're approaching the top rpm range WOT, it's probably not very often that your operating it that way, so if you like the performance, that would be ok too. Secondly, I am a bit surprised that your max rpm of 5200 WOT is  that low with a 14 pitch, which made me wonder if your engine couldn't be mounted a hole or two higher.  If your currently mounted in the lowest position, have someone hang on in the back at WOT and see where the cavitation plate is. If it's visibly below the water level, you may be too low.  

I had my dealer mount an ETEC 115 on a 1775 impact on the third hole to get the cavitation plate where it needs to be at WOT, and the second hole on a VMAX SHO 115.  Took some fooling around with props but the hassle was worth it in the end.   Maybe someone else will chime in with their experiences propping a boat. Good luck.

8/22/21 @ 7:23 AM
EZ
User since 7/3/01

If you're getting 5200 rpm WOT on the 14 pitch, and your motor is rated for 5400 to 6000, you can maybe change two pitches. Rule of thumb I believe is 200 rpm change per pitch.  My guess is that you may get 2 or 3 more mph when you tweak the prop selection and if you're happy with the performance afterwards, why spend the extra bucks for SS?   It's a bit of a hassle dinking around with the props to get peak performance, but in the long run, well worth it. Good luck and let us know how it shakes out.

PS The ETEC should treat you well. 

8/21/21 @ 12:18 PM
mattw
mattw
PRO MEMBER User since 5/6/16

Would agree a ss prop with the horsepower you have would make that thing really come alive . Even though dealer says back order ,  I would check online with other sources , there has to be one out there somewhere so you don't have to wait . Also there should be online info for props to see what kinda of performance they have per specs , when I was looking for a new boat, almost all the OEMs have test specs for motors and props along with motor companies having specs for their stuff, would look around on your own and see what's out there versus what the dealer is telling you to make sure you cover all the bases . 

8/21/21 @ 10:58 AM
joeblue83
User since 5/15/13

I asked about that but said no. They suggested the current prop was told ss was backordered for months and aluminum is all they had

8/21/21 @ 9:39 AM
nihsif
nihsif
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01

good to hear... with normal regular maintenance you should get many many years of service from the e-Tec... they are great motors

...maybe talk to your marine dealer about SS props..or aluminum too...., and maybe getting to try a few out.. I did that and ednded up very  happy

8/21/21 @ 8:57 AM
joeblue83
User since 5/15/13
Motor runs awesome. Could only attain 29mph with 90 etec can now do 42 witj 135. Fast out of the hole and believe there more there. They didnt have any ss props so i bought a aluminum one for now. My engine rpms should be between 5400 and 6000. I am running slightly less than 5200 wot and trimmed correctly. The prop is 14.8 with 17 pitch. Looking at ordering 3 blade ss prop and wondering what i should be doing with pitch. I was told if going to ss from aluminum you should pitch down one to compensate for flex to keep everything close to same. Its going on a 17.5 alumacraft trophy deep v. I was thinking going with 14.8 with 15 pitch ss prop. Any suggestions. Thanks
Displaying 1 to 15 of 48 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
solid hook sets by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE