SEARCH
MORE
Boats & Motors

boat ready

8/2/21 @ 7:16 PM
INITIAL POST
da finn 55
User since 1/31/19

boat has been in grandpas barn up north pre covid ...was winterized prior to storage anything i need to do before taking it out ? appreciate suggestions

s

Displaying 1 to 10 of 10 posts
8/5/21 @ 6:58 PM
CMunyon
User since 5/12/16

Fresh fuel even if it had stabil in it.

8/5/21 @ 8:20 AM
fishicot
User since 4/16/18

Don't forget to check the air pressure in the tires.  They lose air over time.

8/4/21 @ 8:06 AM
da finn 55
User since 1/31/19

the boat is in great shape overall its a 96 Lund with a 2 stroke Merc. has been used very little over last 5-6 years. last time it ran just took out and fired it up no issues but now having sat for 2.5 years concerned with making sure it will be ok. appreciate all the suggestions.

8/3/21 @ 6:46 PM
Master_Piker
Master_Piker
User since 12/7/05

I would personally dump that gas and get fresh, non-ethanol premium if it were me. Treated or not, that fuel has sat for over a year and a half, possibly over 2 years depending on how long it sat 'pre-COVID'...

As others have said, check the lower unit gear oil. If water comes out or the gear oil is milky, have it serviced. I would also buy a <$10 set of muffs and fire it up at home before going to the lake. It could save you some time, aggravation and embarrassment should your motor not start at a busy ramp! I would also encourage you to run some SeaFoam, Berryman's B-12 Chemtool, or other fuel system cleaner in the first couple tanks of fuel to clean the fuel system. If the motor is oil injected, check the reservoir to make sure there is plenty of oil / if it is a 4-stroke, I would change it after sitting that long in an outbuilding that temps ranged from nearly 100 degrees to -20, -30, etc.

New, properly gapped spark plugs would be a good idea as well. Pop them out and see what they look like at a minimum. While you're inside the motor cowling, make sure there aren't any rodent nests in the motor / wiring harnesses. Also, take a piece of soft material (string trimmer line works great) and stick it a couple inches up the cooling system 'telltale' hole to make sure insects haven't blocked the outlet. This is something you can check if you run it at home. Make sure you have a strong stream of water coming out of the motor at idle. If nothing comes out, check that hole for a blockage. If no blockage is found, you probably need a new impeller (may want to look into this anyway as a precaution). Check your fire extinguisher, life jackets and other safety equipment as well. Anything that needs to be serviced or replaced should be prior to hitting the water. Since it has been sitting inside, it shouldn't have water in the bottom of the hull, so go ahead and stick the plug in so you don't forget in the heat of the moment at the boat ramp. If you think this may be a problem, you may also want to check your bilge pump to make sure it works...happy boating!

8/3/21 @ 2:36 PM
Guidedfishing
User since 8/2/01

Da Finn,

2 stroke, or 4 stoke, carbs or fuel injection.  built in fuel tank or 5 gallon stand alone.  What does winterized mean, fogged?   was lower unit changed before going in, if 4 stroke when was oil last changed.  Was fuel stabilized prior to storage.   How long in storage pre covid would mean to me its been sitting for almost 2 years?

It could be as simple as change the oil and run it, to drain and change all fluids and plugs.  I'd be more concerned if carbs are involved and fuel sat in them, and dried up, vs a fuel injected motor.

What did you do to it the last time you took it out for the spring...  

8/3/21 @ 8:37 AM
vegas492
vegas492
User since 5/21/03

Uh.  Remember to put the plug in!

8/3/21 @ 7:58 AM
Zwiegs
User since 1/10/12

Matt pretty much summed it all up below!!

8/3/21 @ 5:54 AM
Snake1
Snake1
PRO MEMBER User since 1/22/21

Check for critters everywhere also. 

8/2/21 @ 8:56 PM
mattw
mattw
PRO MEMBER User since 5/6/16

I would check basicly everything . Make sure lower unit is full with clean fluid, check spark plugs, look over hoses and wiring.  Get fresh fuel in tank unless the fuel has been treated with stabilizer.  Make sure battery is good if you have one . Go over trailer , wheel bearings, tires , straps . Run motor with earmuffs if you can that way you know it starts and runs.  The more work you do now , the less of a chance you have issues at the ramp or out on the water . Kudos 

Displaying 1 to 10 of 10 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
percision control by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE