MORE
Boats & Motors

Boat Lift Advice

4/5/21 @ 3:09 PM
INITIAL POST
Big Lake Hoosier
Big Lake Hoosier
User since 9/2/20

Do you feel a boat lift is needed for a 17' fishing boat on an 800 acre lake?

Same question for 14 footer?

I never considered a boat lift for my fishing boat.  Looking for any experience to help guide me.  Thanks!

Displaying 1 to 9 of 9 posts
4/14/21 @ 4:00 PM
RickD Jr
User since 3/24/21

In my opinion, anytime you can get your boat up and out of the water it’s a good thing. Or make sure your automatic bilge is always working. I’ve seen a couple aftermaths of bad storms wreak some havoc on some boats. 

4/14/21 @ 2:42 PM
Fishlovme
Fishlovme
PRO MEMBER User since 6/22/01

I lived on a river between two lakes for 3 years. I had a cheap 14 foot fishing boat. I had a cover for it but had to place big waste baskets underneath so the water would not accumulate on the cover, plus milk jugs filled with water for waits to hold down the tarp. that was a big pain. I'd spend 15 minutes getting the cover off and 15 minutes putting it back on, at least! It was much easier just fishing off the dock sometimes.  My neighbor had a manual lift to lift his boat just out of the water, then he would just take the drain plug out and let the water drain out that way. If you have a boat that's not heavily furnished this isn't a big deal, but seats, carpet and all that then I'd want a lift and a cover over the lift so that you could just get in and away you go.  They're worth it in my opinion no matter what the size of the lake is.

4/14/21 @ 1:25 PM
Musky99
User since 8/8/11

It also depends on How secure it is. If you are in a protective bay you may be just fine . Exposed shoreline on the east end of the lake maybe not.

alos, if it’s at a cottage, how often do you get up there?

4/14/21 @ 11:51 AM
river_chaser
User since 10/3/12

for the 14 footer consider using a Shore Docker. its very cost effective

I dont know what your shore line and boat setup is like so I cant comment on the 17.

I use a shore docker for my 16 ft with 60 merc.

4/14/21 @ 11:39 AM
NAV165
PRO MEMBER User since 5/23/05

I was keeping my boat in the water the first year I got it.  It was a real pain to have to uncover and cover every time I wanted to use it.  Bought a lift with a top and I honestly fish more now because it's so easy to just lower the boat and go or if the weather is sketchy no big deal to go our for an hour or 2 and then just raise it up.  The hull stays much cleaner and the interior stays dry.  I only use the cover when the boat is on the trailer now.  The other plus is when covering it with the boat in the water it can be quite the balancing act!

4/14/21 @ 11:10 AM
Zwiegs
User since 1/10/12

Boat lift nice to get boat up and out of the water, and yes a cover is nice

4/5/21 @ 8:06 PM
lakkats
User since 9/23/09

A few things to think about with a lift are will you be removing it and installing it or pay someone? They can be a pain if you have a steep shoreline or soft bottom. You will need space to store it hopefully not far from lake. They are great for expensive boats but if you just have older fishing boats they make a kit that makes a wooden ramp for pulling boat onto shore.

4/5/21 @ 3:43 PM
Qual Fisher
User since 4/28/19

Boat lifts serve 2 main purposes.  First, by lifting the boat clear of the water, wind and waves will not bang the boat against the dock or shoreline.  Second, a boat lift cover will protect the boat from rain, sun, falling leaves, and possibly birds.  

If you have a nice boat, you will probably want to protect it.  

Displaying 1 to 9 of 9 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing equipped by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE