Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Boat ladder - 14ft fishing boat

6/22/22 @ 10:34 AM
ORIGINAL POST
FishAreFood
USER SINCE 9/17/14

I have a 14ft aluminum mirrocraft with a 20hp I use for fishing - works great. Am thinking of putting a small ladder on the transom (1 or 2 step) if I ever want to take it out just to enjoy the water. I have an anchor in the back of the boat and an anchor on the front attached to a manual crank. 

Does anyone see any issues with getting in/out of a small boat using a ladder on the back? I don’t really NEED to do this, but just thought it’d be fun addition. 

DISPLAYING 1 TO 5 OF 5 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS

6/23/22 @ 1:45 PM
PimplySwede
USER SINCE 1/6/09

IF you decide it will work on your boat, be sure to get a model with stand-offs.  Slamming your toes into the transom when you put your weight into the step is not something you want to do twice.

H&H - that's where taking a canoe safety course would come in handy. To be a Red Cross canoe instructor, I had to learn how to perform a wet-entry into the canoe without capsizing it.  Same technique would apply to a 14-ft aluminum boat, and be easier than the canoe.

6/23/22 @ 11:58 AM
Hunter&Hound
USER SINCE 7/24/01

If your boat sinks when you crawl over the transom...well, you need a bigger boat.

Ladders are a very important safety item and highly recommend one if you can.

6/22/22 @ 12:45 PM
vegas492
vegas492
USER SINCE 5/21/03

Had I tried that as a kid with my 14 foot Lund, it would capsize or take on a ton of water.

After re-reading your post, I know that some Mirro Crafts have higher sides, as compared to my old Lund.

If it were me, I wouldn't do it period.  But if you really want to try it out, as suggested, get in some shallow water and try to get into your boat without a ladder and see how the boat reacts.  Do it on a really nice, sunny, flat water kind of day.  

6/22/22 @ 11:42 AM
eyesman
eyesman
USER SINCE 1/7/02

A 14’ boat may not have enough flotation to support the weight of a person on the transom especially if it will be to one side only. As a test park the boat in 3-4’ of water and then try to sit on the transom and see how close the waterline gets to coming over the transom. Other factors to consider are the location of your fuel tank, guessing with a 14’ boat and 20hp motor it is a 3-5 gallon portable tank. Is there a battery in the boat and where is that located. Weight distribution may help if you are close to taking water over the transom when putting your weight on the transom. Wave action will also magnify how deep the transom will sink when putting weight on it. 

DISPLAYING 1 TO 5 OF 5 POSTS
Advertise here
Spot-Lock®. Effortless, responsive control. And a track record of toughness that only come from Minn Kota. Ultrex™ gives you more time on the water, more casts, more catches – and more of what you came out here for. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Minn Kota Ultrex
The HELIX® Series delivers innovative technologies that make finding and catching fish simple. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - Humminbird HELIX Mega Imaging
The Bio-Minnow Shallow Diving Jerkbaits are suspending. It is available in two sizes and in five fish-attracting colors as well as a clear ready-to-paint version. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: OKUMA FISHING TACKLE - Bio-Minnow Shallow Diver Jerkbait
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.