Best Trolling Motor Battery?

6/18/18 @ 10:30 PM
ORIGINAL POST
goosekiller48
goosekiller48
USER since 12/20/10

I’m in the market for a new battery for my minn Kota terrova 55 lb thrust. I hear good things about run time on agm is it worth the money? and what brand batteries are you guys having luck with?

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 7 of 7 Posts
6/19/18 @ 12:24 PM
mattw
mattw
USER since 5/6/16

I run an AGM for my trolling motor and honestly could not tell you how old it is. I have had it in the boat for quite a few years now and it keeps going  . I use a 2 to 6 amp charger on both my batteries  and charge after every trip.  Run the biggest you have room for and make sure to have the  right battery charger to maintain it . 

Post Your Comment
6/19/18 @ 12:20 PM
fltlndr
fltlndr
USER since 12/25/02

Interstate lasted 6 plus years.

Post Your Comment
6/19/18 @ 10:19 AM
Jeff H
Jeff H
USER since 3/22/03

I "spoke" to a guy on Facebook recently who was in the battery industry. He stated that a lot of the batteries are made by the same manufacturer , in the same facility, the only difference being the battery case, i.e. different cases for the different brands.

Of course there are " good, better, and best" levels of batteries, but again, a "good" battery from brand A should be the same as a "good" battery from brand "B." 

Also, he said that not 'all' batteries are made by the same place, but that a lot of them are.

Edited on 6/19/18 10:22 AM
Post Your Comment
6/19/18 @ 9:41 AM
BucketMouth123
BucketMouth123
USER since 5/6/16

Not sure if money is an issue, but I would stop in at a local auto parts store and ask if they have any older deep cycle batteries on the shelf. I had an Advance Auto sell me 2 27 series for 40 each. They were each only 6 months old on the shelf. I am starting season 3 with them and not a single issue. Also if you want extra life out of a battery, you can connect a couple in parallel. Basically doubles the size of your battery while keeping it a 12V system. I have gone 2 and half days without charging them on a weekend trip and still had half charge on them.

As long as you maintain and take care of the battery, that is what will extend the life of it. 

Post Your Comment
6/19/18 @ 7:13 AM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
USER since 9/27/01

I go with the biggest Fleet Farm battery that I can fit in the compartment.  I keep a trickle charger on it at all times and check the water at the end of the season.  Going on my 3rd season and it still holds a charge like it's new.

Post Your Comment
6/18/18 @ 10:57 PM
Scott F
Scott F
USER since 6/12/10
I buy mine at WalMart. What's more important than the brand of battery, is a quality charger. A cheap or the wrong charger will shorten the life of your battery significantly.

Post Your Comment