SEARCH
MORE
Boats & Motors

Best River Achors

3/7/21 @ 3:15 PM
INITIAL POST
GotABite
User since 8/7/07

Need some advice on best type of river anchor to use for my boat and what weight. I have an 18 foot smoker craft. I usually fish the wisconsin river and at times get into pretty heavy currents.  Rope only? rope and chain? Thanks 

Displaying 1 to 15 of 16 posts
4/2/21 @ 5:41 PM
GotABite
User since 8/7/07

lip rippin I checked and i didn't get your message. my messenger is on.

4/2/21 @ 9:48 AM
lip rippin
User since 4/16/09

Gotabite check your messages

4/1/21 @ 11:44 PM
teenangel
User since 2/21/07

A richter anchor on Winnebago. Its heavy but it holds..

3/28/21 @ 12:25 PM
GotABite
User since 8/7/07

hockey guy, I zip tie my anchor chain to my ring on my richter anchor. I also zip tie my rope thimble to my chain. Cant hurt!

3/16/21 @ 11:07 AM
RescueDiver
RescueDiver
User since 1/21/12
Yes, it is a great swift water anchor in any structure including sand.
3/16/21 @ 10:52 AM
hockeyguy39
User since 8/24/07

Rescue, are you using the zip ties to secure the chain to the other ring?

3/16/21 @ 9:52 AM
RescueDiver
RescueDiver
User since 1/21/12

I have this system, a buddy makes them for me. This is a spare, the one I have is made of round stock instead of square stock like this one. I have a 16' Mirrocraft and primarily fish Wisconsin River. In 5+ yrs of using it, I have never lost or been unable to retrieve it and it has been snagged often. I just keep a baggy of plastic zip ties and use about 8-10 a year. I use 3/8" rope to the chain. It always holds no matter the current.

3/9/21 @ 7:08 PM
nihsif
nihsif
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01

lmao catman!!

my Dad had old grandad anchor his Dad made, about 30+ lbs of iron that looked like the bottom half of an old coffee can with a big old eye to tie to.... we would anchor perpendicular to the current during the spring run on the fox and wolf.... I'd drop my anchor on the fron, and he'd slide us down to just above where our honey hole(s) was and lower old grandad .... tied up short... if we moved, it was my anchor, that was a helluva anchor.... 

right now, I use Richter anchors... work for me, no chain...tried it, didn't really need it

3/9/21 @ 4:44 PM
Cat Man J.J.
PRO MEMBER User since 5/9/03

spot lock trolling motors, power poles and $1,300 custom anchor systems, my grandfather would think we're all crazy.

I once got a bag of concrete mix and poured three or four anchors and if one didn't hold i'd tie a second one on, if you got hung up and had to cut you were out about a $1.

Took my wife fishing and she looked in the boat and asked why do I have so many anchors? I told her don't worry about it just get in.

3/8/21 @ 5:56 PM
Bemidji-Bergquist
Bemidji-Bergquist
User since 3/23/20

Fishing mississippi river lacrosse i use to us a 30 lb river anchor for wing dams and other spots found. It held my 17ft deep v most of the time but heavy if you constantly move or lose position found a remedy I pilot works every time and is easy move and reset position even in heavy current.

3/8/21 @ 5:45 PM
mikieb
User since 10/11/15

I use a brake rotor off of a 3/4 Ram truck. It lays flat on the floor of the boat and will hold the boat just fine in a stiff current. 

3/7/21 @ 11:06 PM
Quackshot
Quackshot
User since 1/16/11

I'm in the process of setting up another 16 foot jet boat and this time purchased a power anchor system from Tracy's. I made my own chain anchor using about 28 lbs of chain cut into 16" sections. These are then simply threaded onto a 6" U clamp. You will probably want to drill a hole in the top of the straight section and insert an eye bolt. I later decided I didn't want a pile of chain messing up the boat interior when traveling so I will likely go with a 25 lb. pyramid anchor. These are readily available for around $70 on Amazon or Ebay. Or; if you want a really nice river anchor check our tornado anchors. Heavy but compact and clean. Around $165 plus shipping. Unless you are trying to anchor in white water you should be fine with 25 to 30 lbs and reasonable scope on the anchor line. Good Luck

3/7/21 @ 8:37 PM
Scott F
User since 6/12/10

Do you want a “good” river anchor or the “best” river anchor? I have what I consider the best anchor system. The anchor is 55 lbs of chain links raised and lowered via a davit and electric winch. This anchor will absolutely nail your boat to the bottom in very fast current, won’t get hung up on the bottom and doesn’t require nearly as much line out as a normal anchor to grab. This type is only offered by two places I know of in the Midwest. One is Tracy’s Custom Riverboats in Newaygo MI. And the other is called River Larry also in Newaygo MI  mine cost about $1,300.

3/7/21 @ 8:29 PM
huntfish
User since 6/16/03

Richter anchor never let me down. Plus you can pull backward in case hooked up on rock or snag. I've always used heavy rope and replace every year,  but after losing 2nd one in 20 years I'll be going chain and than rope. I believe zebra mussels are doing fast damage cutting away on rope.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 16 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
percision control by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE