Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Best River Achors

3/7/21 @ 3:15 PM
ORIGINAL POST
GotABite
USER SINCE 8/7/07

Need some advice on best type of river anchor to use for my boat and what weight. I have an 18 foot smoker craft. I usually fish the wisconsin river and at times get into pretty heavy currents.  Rope only? rope and chain? Thanks 

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 16 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS

4/2/21 @ 5:41 PM
GotABite
USER SINCE 8/7/07

lip rippin I checked and i didn't get your message. my messenger is on.

4/2/21 @ 9:48 AM
lip rippin
USER SINCE 4/16/09

Gotabite check your messages

4/1/21 @ 11:44 PM
teenangel
USER SINCE 2/21/07

A richter anchor on Winnebago. Its heavy but it holds..

3/28/21 @ 12:25 PM
GotABite
USER SINCE 8/7/07

hockey guy, I zip tie my anchor chain to my ring on my richter anchor. I also zip tie my rope thimble to my chain. Cant hurt!

3/16/21 @ 11:07 AM
RescueDiver
RescueDiver
USER SINCE 1/21/12
Yes, it is a great swift water anchor in any structure including sand.

3/16/21 @ 10:52 AM
hockeyguy39
USER SINCE 8/24/07

Rescue, are you using the zip ties to secure the chain to the other ring?

3/16/21 @ 9:52 AM
RescueDiver
RescueDiver
USER SINCE 1/21/12

I have this system, a buddy makes them for me. This is a spare, the one I have is made of round stock instead of square stock like this one. I have a 16' Mirrocraft and primarily fish Wisconsin River. In 5+ yrs of using it, I have never lost or been unable to retrieve it and it has been snagged often. I just keep a baggy of plastic zip ties and use about 8-10 a year. I use 3/8" rope to the chain. It always holds no matter the current.

3/9/21 @ 7:08 PM
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER SINCE 6/15/01

lmao catman!!

my Dad had old grandad anchor his Dad made, about 30+ lbs of iron that looked like the bottom half of an old coffee can with a big old eye to tie to.... we would anchor perpendicular to the current during the spring run on the fox and wolf.... I'd drop my anchor on the fron, and he'd slide us down to just above where our honey hole(s) was and lower old grandad .... tied up short... if we moved, it was my anchor, that was a helluva anchor.... 

right now, I use Richter anchors... work for me, no chain...tried it, didn't really need it

3/9/21 @ 4:44 PM
Cat Man J.J.
MEMBER SINCE 5/9/03

spot lock trolling motors, power poles and $1,300 custom anchor systems, my grandfather would think we're all crazy.

I once got a bag of concrete mix and poured three or four anchors and if one didn't hold i'd tie a second one on, if you got hung up and had to cut you were out about a $1.

Took my wife fishing and she looked in the boat and asked why do I have so many anchors? I told her don't worry about it just get in.

3/8/21 @ 5:56 PM
Bemidji-Bergquist
USER SINCE 3/23/20

Fishing mississippi river lacrosse i use to us a 30 lb river anchor for wing dams and other spots found. It held my 17ft deep v most of the time but heavy if you constantly move or lose position found a remedy I pilot works every time and is easy move and reset position even in heavy current.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 16 POSTS
Advertise here
The Rapala® Rain Jacket and Bib Series are built on high expectations, combining advanced technology performance with upgraded waterproof and breathable components for more extreme conditions. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: RAPALA - Rapala Pro Rain Suit
Save $160 on the Aqua-Vu Muli-Vu Complete Camera System. This camera system integrates to any HDMI input or RCA-enabled or sonar or TV/LCD monitor. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: AQUA-VU - Multi-Vu Complete Camera System
Meet Grizzly Coolers. Made right here in the USA and loaded with features that can't be beat. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: GRIZZLY COOLERS - Grizzly Hard-Sided Coolers
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.