SEARCH
MORE
Boats & Motors

Best 40hp for winter use

2/19/24 @ 1:25 PM
INITIAL POST
Edward Felcohands
User since 2/24/09

Looking at repowering an older boat with a new 40hp tiller.  I plan on using it intermittently in winter, wondering if anyone has any thoughts on which brand might make this a little easier as far as maintenance and winterization is concerned

Displaying 1 to 3 of 3 posts
2/21/24 @ 6:27 PM
Bemidji-Bergquist
Bemidji-Bergquist
User since 3/23/20
The new motors being 4 strokes are real easy to maintain. I also have a 40 hp and in the winter it starts every time it more comes down to good gas, a good battery and good plugs. As far as brands I'd stick with mercury or Yamaha assuming your getting brand new. Also if your going from a 2 stroke to a 4 stroke 40 hp there going to weigh more than the old motor just something to consider. Mine differed by like 20 lbs.
2/21/24 @ 10:00 AM
Graceonpoint
User since 10/24/17
I think just about every camp/resort on Eagle Lake in Canada has 40 or 50 hp Yamahas tillers on their camp boats.  Can say this is a testament to their cold tolerance but would say its a pretty good sign of their reliability.
Displaying 1 to 3 of 3 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing equipped by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE