SEARCH
MORE
Boats & Motors

Battery lifespan

11/8/22 @ 7:02 PM
INITIAL POST
John Q. Public
User since 8/1/12

I have an extra battery with a trickle solar charger.  If it's never used how long will it last?  It's only for backup on my pontoon.

Displaying 1 to 8 of 8 posts
12/6/22 @ 9:15 AM
dsinwi
User since 1/24/02

I typically get about 10 years out of my batteries. As mentioned, keeping them maintained and fully charged year round is important. 

11/13/22 @ 9:23 PM
huntfish
User since 6/16/03

Tried starting boat motor 2 weeks ago and battery was dead. Switched trolling battery to get motor started. Looked at starting battery and dated 2013 from fleet farm. I bring my batteries in the basement and charged at least once. Works well for me!

11/13/22 @ 6:42 PM
candofish
User since 4/2/13

My last batteries on my Ranger boat were 8 years old when I traded it in. There were 3 trolling batteries and a starting battery. All of them were agm and plugged into a dual pro charger after every use and all winter long. The boat was stored in an insulated garage with intermittent heat. 

11/13/22 @ 2:04 PM
ihookem
ihookem
User since 11/29/01

My deep cycle  batteries would last 2 yrs. I do use it as an outboard starting battery but it is only 25 horse so I dont think there is any harm there. Now days I trickle charge it several time every winter and it makes them last about 1 yrs longer, so I get 3 yrs out of them and that does not seem very long at all. A guy that worked at Johnson Controls gave me a deep cycle  battery once and it lasted 4 yrs. It was one of the good ones. I wish I would have taken better care of it, by charging it through the winter here and there.  I always forget to check the water cause I thought those days were over, but I guess not.

11/10/22 @ 10:26 AM
nihsif
nihsif
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01

proper care and maintenance will extend the life, or at least make you aware of any issues while you are checking water levels ( I always use distilled water ), any corrosion that needs to be cleaned off, charge level, etc .... I usually do this spring and fall

11/10/22 @ 9:11 AM
Snake1
Snake1
PRO MEMBER User since 1/22/21

We’ll spoken Westy. Ya just have to roll the dice and keep track of your warranty until that expires. I always write the warranty expiration date on battery with a paint pen. 

11/10/22 @ 6:25 AM
westfieldW
westfieldW
User since 10/9/16

That is a question that cannot be answered. Nobody knows how long a battery will last, a brand new battery could last 1 or 7 years. Nobody knows when they're going to take a crap.

Displaying 1 to 8 of 8 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish seduced by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE