SEARCH
MORE
Boats & Motors

Battery Charging

5/31/20 @ 8:32 PM
INITIAL POST
DuckSlayin88
User since 9/13/11

Looked over some old threads and couldn’t find the answer. I have a deep cycle battery I throw in the back of the boat and run a trolling motor for a basic set up. I have a Resolute 27 Group Size. Can’t seem to find reliable info by google. What is the best way to re-charge ? Slow at 2amp or 10+ amp? Can a basic car battery charger be used or do you have other recommendations? Trying to avoid spending significant money on a charger . Thanks ! 

Displaying 1 to 7 of 7 posts
6/1/20 @ 10:16 AM
DuckSlayin88
User since 9/13/11

Thanks for the input. That's the route Ill go then.

6/1/20 @ 9:57 AM
fishnhunt14
User since 4/17/07

It would not be a problem using the 10 amp setting. Many of the on-board chargers charge at 10 amps. Most common are 5 amp and 10 amp. I have a two bank 5 amp charger on my boat for the trolling motor batteries. I plug it in as soon as I get home. My Minn Kota charger has a maintain setting so it doesn't over charge the batteries, supposed to be better for them.  Picked it up on Amazon a few years ago for $100. I hook up my starting battery with a 2 amp trickle charger about once or twice a month to top it off since it charges when the motor is running. Didn't have room for a 3 bank charger otherwise I would have went that route.

Looks like Amazon has a Minn Kota one bank, 6 amp charger for $73 if you want to go that route.

6/1/20 @ 7:46 AM
DuckSlayin88
User since 9/13/11

Thanks for the comments. The boat doesn’t leave the water. It’s a pain to take the battery in and out due to weight so I’m trying to charge it the best way. My car battery charger has a 2amp and 10amp setting. I’ve been using 2amp but takes a while. I wanted to make sure I’m not doing any damage if bumping to 10amp? I’m sure it won’t take long to charge that way . 

5/31/20 @ 10:51 PM
mattw
mattw
PRO MEMBER User since 5/6/16

On my old rig , I had 2 batteries , one starting,  one just for trolling motor , always had 2 3/6 amp chargers to charge them after every use regardless of how hard I work the batteries . I hooked one charger to each battery . Fast forward to now on my new rig I have 3 batteries and a 15 amp onboard charger where I just plug it in after boat use . Way easier and if you have the room go that route. Just my 2 cents 

5/31/20 @ 9:37 PM
CrawlerHarness
User since 10/10/17

FishNHunt is correct.  Any charger will work, I think the 5 Amp and 10 Amp settings not only will charge it faster, but I also think faster charging is better for the life of the battery.  

The MinnKota chargers are better for the life of the battery, based on the charging profile they use.  But you should be fine with an old craftsman charger.  I recommend 3 things.  You make sure you buy a deep cycle battery, you check your water levels at least once a year, and you recharge your batteries as soon as possible after using.  

5/31/20 @ 8:37 PM
fishnhunt14
User since 4/17/07

2 amp trickle charger would work fine. Only downside is it will take longer to charge and you have to hook it up to the terminals each time. A 5 or 10 amp on board charger would be faster and more convenient since you just plug it in, but will cost more money and you have to mount it somewhere.

Displaying 1 to 7 of 7 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
percision control by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE