SEARCH
MORE
Boats & Motors

anyone regretting lithium trolling motor batterys

2/22/23 @ 9:42 AM
INITIAL POST
ducks
User since 2/17/11

Hello,, l i was just wondering if anybody is regretting putting in lithium batterys in  for their trolling motor.  I am looking at getting an ulterra 36 volt  tm and just checking everyones advice for battery size and configuration.  I am thinking of getting a 100 Amphour, single 36 volt battery....    Thanks for any info....Duck

Displaying 1 to 15 of 56 posts
3/28/24 @ 5:38 PM
Wally Pike
User since 3/16/21
JABBERWALKER

"Why the need for two chargers at $150 a pop? Do they not make a 2-bank or 3-bank charger?"

I honestly don't remember my decision making process on the chargers, it's been a couple minutes ago and I've slept a lot since then. Again, I recommend you call them- you tell them the charger you want or plan to use etc and they will give you good answers. They told me I didn't have to buy their chargers and never made me feel I had to. I was getting 10% veteran discount so I just bought them and was all done. 
3/28/24 @ 1:17 PM
Jabberwalker
Jabberwalker
User since 4/21/04
Why ​the need ​for two chargers at $150 a pop? Do they not make a 2-bank or 3-bank charger?

Minn Kota On-Board Precision Charger Mk-220 Pcl 2 Bank X 10 Amp Li Optimized Charger​​​
3/27/24 @ 7:57 PM
Wally Pike
User since 3/16/21
ZEPLURE- "Can you charge the Battle Borns with a regular onboard charger? $2,000?"

I don't know but if you call Battle Borne with your make and model of charger they will tell you if you can still use it.
In my case, the Chargetek charger I had WOULD have worked but it was about 20 years old and I had the cash so I bought their chargers.
3/27/24 @ 9:43 AM
zeplure
zeplure
PRO MEMBER User since 2/11/02
Can you charge the Battle Borns with a regular onboard charger? $2,000?
anyone regretting lithium trolling motor batterys photo by zeplure
3/24/24 @ 7:50 PM
Wally Pike
User since 3/16/21
Jabberwalker
Good question and I should have been more specific. First off, everyone is in Reno, customer service and everything. They answered every question I had patiently and thoroughly before and during purchase. After purchase I had some installation questions and they again were very helpful. (They also have very good "help" videos on their website.) The second spring I used them I was unsure how to re-hook everything up and again they walked me through everything. So in a way my customer service experience with them is limited, but I have not had any type of "problems" with my batts so I can't vouch for that part. I should also mention I got a veteran discount on the whole purchase- 2 batts and 2 chargers. (I think it was 10%) So far for me, no problems and am still happy with them. I should also add, I had a lot of experience with lithiums when I was in the military operating small "drone" airplanes, which were all lithium powered. I researched 3 companies- Battle Born, Dakota, and the Bass Pro/ Cabela's. I didn't bother with the any of the other cheaper batts, I wasn't taking a chance on their reliability or build. Cabela's were out right away, and Dakota's were assembled in China and didn't have (might be different now) the self heating function BB did.

3/23/24 @ 10:16 PM
Jabberwalker
Jabberwalker
User since 4/21/04
Wally Pike, you stated excellent customer service. Just curious what kind of customer service you needed? Did you have an issue with a battery or are you talking purchasing batteries? So far I have not had to contact customer service, but it is definitely a concern.
3/23/24 @ 7:33 PM
Wally Pike
User since 3/16/21
DUCKS-
I switched over 3 seasons ago and couldn't be happier. I went with Battle Born from Reno Nevada. Excellent customer service and the batteries are *assembled* in the US. (All LiON battery parts come from China etc). They are more expensive than many other brands but the cheaper brands use cheaper parts and there's less quality control during assembly and that's where you hear about them exploding and stuff. Not sure about the other fellow's batteries not being able to OPERATE in below freezing conditions, all I know is every Lithium I've ever experienced is able to be used in sub-zero temps, it just won't last as long and it's that you can't CHARGE them when it's below freezing. My BB's have an internal battery management system (BMS) that will stop charging if they get too cold PLUS internal heaters that will slowly warm the batteries until they can be charged. That feature can be disabled as you want, like for winter storage. FYI Bass Pro Shop/ Cabela's and other stores don't make their batteries, they pay a manufacturer to build them at a certain price point and slap their stickers on them, just like in the lead acid battery world. So, the cheaper the battery, the "cheaper" it is- you get what you pay for. I run two 12-Volts so my boat is about 80 pounds lighter, my back is 80 pounds more grateful not having to lug them around, and I have all the power I want unlike the old slow drain on the lead-acids. Couple other things- The biggest killer of lead-acid "plate" batteries is vibration, and that's what your boat does on the water and while trailering. Also, Lithiums can be mounted in any configuration- upside down, sideways etc, so you have a lot more options of where to put them in your boat. I recommend at least calling or checking out Battle Born's website.
3/22/24 @ 8:46 PM
mendota
PRO MEMBER User since 12/19/01
Well, my shakedown trip a week or so ago revealed my 24V troll motor batteries were done, Walmart group 31 flooded, purchased spring 2018.  Pretty much right on schedule.

Decided to make the changeover, especially after i grunted those 50# blocks out of the battery compartment and boat.  Done with that.

Purchased 2X Eco-worthy ECO-LFP121000 on Amazon, $443 total to my door.  Pretty much same cost as AGMs, which was my switchover criteria.  23# each and an inch+ less length, so more room in the battery compartment.  And >50# weight loss.

Of course, did replace on-board charger with a new Noco 10A 2-bank, another $244 at Cabelas.  It also takes up half the space the old Dual Pro did.  But I guess I'm still ~$700 in, as opposed to ~$200.  You all know what BOAT is an acronym for, right? Hoping i get at least 8 years, and i expect even better batteries available when i replace them.

Cant charge them below 32F, discharge or store them below 0F.  Will need to watch them in the fall (I have a separate bluetooth temperature logger) and likely remove them in winter, but not as bad a task as it might have been.  Can always put a 40W trouble light in the battery compartment if i need to heat them up i guess.  Recommended storage is room temperature range 68F-86F., so I will be pulling them I think at some point.

Also of note, they do not recommend storage at full charge.  So no trickle chargers or permanently connected chargers.  Recommendation is to store at 50-80% charge, and once a month for 1 hour, or at least full charge every 6 months.  Dont let them get below 12.9V or so (which is still way above a normal lead-acid full charge voltage) or battery life is affected.
1/26/24 @ 6:03 PM
Jabberwalker
Jabberwalker
User since 4/21/04
Weize Update:
Left my batteries in the boat this winter, with the recent cold snap I decided to check the voltage (24V in series at the plug). I measured 26.21V which I believe is about 40% charge, the charger has been unplugged since October. It was hovering around 30 degrees in my garage but it had warmed up to 40 so I decided to plug the charger in. Voltage shot up and then the charger shut off. I am assuming the built in BMS (battery management system) kicked in and shut off due to low battery temp. My assumption is that although the air temp warmed the batteries remained cold as they are under a cover in the rod storage area (Lund Impact). I placed a Big Buddy heater under the cover and let in run for about 4 hours to warm the batteries and then took a voltage reading, 27.1V. Not sure if the BMS cut the voltage to 26.21 due to the temp or not. I then plugged the charger in and the batteries charged to 27.62V before the charger shut off showing 100% charge.  So, I believe everything is working as designed. Still a long way to go, hoping for 10 years, before I truly know if I made a good choice but so far I am happy with my decision.
8/18/23 @ 1:18 PM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09
After reading all this I may have to make a change.  Hate to just get rid of my current batteries so I'll use them for a while yet, but my next ones might have to be these.  I know if I use my 24v Terrova to steer while salmon fishing, with a kicker pushing us, I'll be way under 50% after 5 hours.  Not even sure I could get 7 hours to be honest, doubtful.   This would be great when I want to do a morning and evening trip.
8/18/23 @ 9:34 AM
Jabberwalker
Jabberwalker
User since 4/21/04
My garage stays above 32 normally so I am thinking of leaving them in the boat. I will fully charge them and the pull the plug as they have a very low discharge rate unlike lead acid batteries. If it dropped below freezing I would definitely pull them out, much the same as lead acid batteries. Difference is they only weigh 26.4 lbs so much easier to remove! First season with my WEIZE batteries and so far I am completely satisfied. The BMS has multiple levels of protection built into the battery such as overcharge/over dis-charge and over temp/low-temp.  They can actually be used to -4F but need to be charged at 32F or higher.
8/18/23 @ 9:16 AM
MCZ82
User since 6/27/18
I run a 12V Terrova . switched to LI-Time 100AH lithium.... under 300$ for battery & charger shipped
I can run it 2+ days without a charge.   Power stays rock solid and consistent the entire time.  I absolutely love it.

8/17/23 @ 5:42 PM
s.s esox
User since 12/22/14
My advice for configuration and size and is get the largest batteries you can afford. You won't be sorry. Lead batteries are so flaky and unreliable. I was only getting 2 full seasons out of mine, and they would always slowly die at the worst moments.  I fish alot and charged the batteries religiously.  If you're claiming to get 5-7 years out of your batteries, you aren't fishing much. Too bad. 
8/17/23 @ 5:37 PM
s.s esox
User since 12/22/14
I'm Loving my amped outdoors batteries. I can;t say one bad thing, other than the price. if I get 6-8 years out of them it will be well worth price. I'm expecting to get more. I bought 2- 24 volt for my Ultrex and a 12 volt 60AH for my house battery. I suppose I'll pull my batteries this fall and bring them indoors. Its much easier proposition since they are so light. 
8/16/23 @ 2:47 PM
mendota
PRO MEMBER User since 12/19/01
So are you early adopter guys planning on pulling your lithiums from the boat this winter?  Or do you all have the luxury of heated storage?  

Every lithium iron phosphate I am aware of will be damaged if exposed to temperatures below the 0F to -10F limit.  
Displaying 1 to 15 of 56 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing equipped by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE