Boats & Motors

Anchoring a 14’ Aluminum Boat

4/8/20 @ 8:12 PM
INITIAL POST
Mcjimmis
Mcjimmis
User since 1/27/20

afternoon all, 

I’m trying to come up with a way to best anchor my little 14 footer. Originally I was thinking of mounting a cleat or chock center on the bow cap. I also want to mount a bow light there so Abandoned that idea. 

Now I’m thinking of just buying a Danik hook to slide on the anchor line and clipping onto the bow eye. I would mount some cleats on the gunnel aft the bow cap to secure the line in case the Danik hook somehow failed. 

That’s all I have come up with so far but I’m open to ideas you all may have. I’m guessing there may be a better way of approaching this. 

I’ll attach a photo of the bow cap to show size but ya’ll probably already know. 

Thanks,

James 

Displaying 1 to 7 of 7 posts
4/10/20 @ 1:59 PM
gobbler
PRO MEMBER User since 6/30/01

why not just mount in on the inside wall of the boat

4/10/20 @ 11:25 AM
Mcjimmis
Mcjimmis
User since 1/27/20

Outfishin, 

I have gave it some thought about adding a larger base behind the bow plate. The thought there was to mount a bow trolling motor but I’m not sure when I’ll go that route. I’ve been trying to keep it as simple and light as possible.

My motor right now is only a 2005 15hp Johnson. With all those extras I’ll most likely need to upgrade to a 25hp which unfortunately isn’t an option this year. 

Thanks, 

James 

4/9/20 @ 9:03 PM
outfishin
User since 1/14/13

Mcjimmis,

Have you thought about attaching a piece of plywood to the bow to give yourself more room for accessories. I would take a small piece of plywood (not osb or particle board) and lay it on the bow. Trace it out and cut with a jig saw. Anchor it with carriage bolts through the rub rail on each side and the bow plate in a couple spots. I would probably run the plywood back 12-16” depending on what you’re installing in the future. I would use 5/8” or thicker cdx plywood or similar. Just an idea. 

4/9/20 @ 4:40 PM
Mcjimmis
Mcjimmis
User since 1/27/20

I started looking into the anchor mate/lock, thanks for the suggestion. Where do you guys put your Nav light when you use an anchor system? 

4/9/20 @ 3:22 PM
One shot one kill
User since 8/12/02

I have a gizmo that go us on the bow . The line goes through it  , and when you let go it pinches the line tight . Then you put a string on it so you can adjust it open or closed. 

4/9/20 @ 4:20 AM
wskiph
wskiph
User since 9/3/11

Find a "anchor mate"...works well on my 14

Displaying 1 to 7 of 7 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing fueled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE