CORONAVIRUS STATEMENT FROM LAKE-LINK

Anchoring a 14’ Aluminum Boat

4/8/20 @ 8:12 PM
ORIGNAL POST
Mcjimmis
Mcjimmis
User since 1/27/20

afternoon all, 

I’m trying to come up with a way to best anchor my little 14 footer. Originally I was thinking of mounting a cleat or chock center on the bow cap. I also want to mount a bow light there so Abandoned that idea. 

Now I’m thinking of just buying a Danik hook to slide on the anchor line and clipping onto the bow eye. I would mount some cleats on the gunnel aft the bow cap to secure the line in case the Danik hook somehow failed. 

That’s all I have come up with so far but I’m open to ideas you all may have. I’m guessing there may be a better way of approaching this. 

I’ll attach a photo of the bow cap to show size but ya’ll probably already know. 

Thanks,

James 

DISPLAYING 1 TO 8 OF 8 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
4/18/20 @ 2:38 PM
ifishwi
ifishwi
User since 1/12/05

I have a 14' Mirro that's about 25 years old, but my bow cap looks pretty similar, maybe a bit smaller. I mounted one of these anchor locks dead center and control the front anchor from the back seat. Yeah it just hangs there but if you position it right doesn't bang on the boat. For running in rough water or put-in/take-out you have to bring it in the boat. Need enough rope but even from the back I can lift up to unlock, hold rope downward to lock. I have one on the back corner too for 2nd anchor.  

Trying to keep things simple I went with a set of clamp-on boat lights (pic). Sure, battery operated but I don't even attach unless I find myself out after dark which isn't that often.

Only down side of these locks is the plastic pulley, they will chip with the slightest knock. But these are cheap @ $8-$20 so they can be replaced as needed. Hope this helps. 

4/10/20 @ 1:59 PM
gobbler
MEMBER since 6/30/01

why not just mount in on the inside wall of the boat

4/10/20 @ 11:25 AM
Mcjimmis
Mcjimmis
User since 1/27/20

Outfishin, 

I have gave it some thought about adding a larger base behind the bow plate. The thought there was to mount a bow trolling motor but I’m not sure when I’ll go that route. I’ve been trying to keep it as simple and light as possible.

My motor right now is only a 2005 15hp Johnson. With all those extras I’ll most likely need to upgrade to a 25hp which unfortunately isn’t an option this year. 

Thanks, 

James 

4/9/20 @ 9:03 PM
outfishin
User since 1/14/13

Mcjimmis,

Have you thought about attaching a piece of plywood to the bow to give yourself more room for accessories. I would take a small piece of plywood (not osb or particle board) and lay it on the bow. Trace it out and cut with a jig saw. Anchor it with carriage bolts through the rub rail on each side and the bow plate in a couple spots. I would probably run the plywood back 12-16” depending on what you’re installing in the future. I would use 5/8” or thicker cdx plywood or similar. Just an idea. 

4/9/20 @ 4:40 PM
Mcjimmis
Mcjimmis
User since 1/27/20

I started looking into the anchor mate/lock, thanks for the suggestion. Where do you guys put your Nav light when you use an anchor system? 

4/9/20 @ 3:22 PM
One shot one kill
MEMBER since 8/12/02

I have a gizmo that go us on the bow . The line goes through it  , and when you let go it pinches the line tight . Then you put a string on it so you can adjust it open or closed. 

4/9/20 @ 4:20 AM
wskiph
wskiph
MEMBER since 9/3/11

Find a "anchor mate"...works well on my 14

DISPLAYING 1 TO 8 OF 8 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.