SEARCH
MORE
Boats & Motors

Alumacraft vs Lund

7/27/19 @ 9:49 PM
INITIAL POST
froztundra
User since 11/30/17

Any thoughts on a new boat purchase.  Looking at the Alumacraft Competitor 185 vs the Lund Impact 1875.  Any thoughts or on the pros and cons of both is appreciated.

Displaying 16 to 30 of 46 posts
8/2/19 @ 8:52 AM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02

Yes, on December 11th BPS announced it had signed a deal to purchase Fishing Holdings LLC, the manufacturer of Ranger, Triton, and Stratos fishing boat brands.

Vexus......... now that is a hell of a ride, if you can afford it. The new leader in the market!

8/2/19 @ 8:19 AM
Hunter&Hound
User since 7/24/01

I thought Bass Pro just bought Ranger.  And, I thought the brains behind Ranger started Nexxus.

This will be the beginning of the end for Ranger if they were gobbled up by BPS.

8/2/19 @ 8:12 AM
vegas492
vegas492
User since 5/21/03

Just my $.02 concerning glass and metal boats.

Ranger is the leader in glass.  It is hands down the best glass boat out there.  I've been in Warriors, Yar-Crafts, Recons, Tritons, Nitros...etc.  The big deep V Nitro is the second best one I've been in.  But still, no Ranger.  If you are going to go glass, get a Ranger. Though I will say that their Deep V series (619,620,621) is the FS hull design and I don't like that nearly as much as I like their older VS series of boats and hulls.  

And after saying that, I'd never buy a metal Ranger boat.  In my opinion, you are spending extra dollars for the name.  

Certainly get into boats you like and drive them, or find a fishing club and hop into other guy's boats before buying one yourself.  I enjoy getting others into my Ranger and it has helped "sell" them on the brand.  And a friend of mine got me into his about a decade ago and that led to my first Ranger purchase.  Now I just try to pay it forward!

8/1/19 @ 7:57 PM
Deerlake1
User since 6/20/13

Kingfisher Boat is the new boat guides and resorts are going to in Canada. I Fished out of one for three years straight nothing like I have ever fished out of before. When guides are buying them for their personal use you know something is going on.

8/1/19 @ 7:41 PM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02

I've heard the Ranger aluminum is a dressed up Tracker.

8/1/19 @ 11:32 AM
vegas492
vegas492
User since 5/21/03

Hey Drahts,

I have ended up fishing Green Bay quite a bit.  Glass just handles the big water oh so much better than metal.  Talking about fishing in big water and simply running the boat.

To me, glass has a heavier feeling and doesn't get rocked by waves like aluminum.  And on the bay, a 14 mph wind out of the north will throw some huge rollers at yah.  Nice to know you can get in easily in 4-5 footers and still stay pretty dry when running the boat correctly.

On smaller lakes, I still like glass because wind doesn't blow them around like it does an aluminum boat.

8/1/19 @ 10:14 AM
anneyealator
User since 6/24/12

given a choice of the two..i like the lund..as it has a roomier cockpit.. in the 18 1/2 foot class  there are lots of other boats both aluminum and glass

8/1/19 @ 10:05 AM
Hunter&Hound
User since 7/24/01
Both are great boats...I've owned each. 

Biggest problem I see is you're probably going to have to get an Evinrude on future Alumacrafts.

8/1/19 @ 9:52 AM
vegas492
vegas492
User since 5/21/03

Get them both on the water and see which one does it for you.

Just my personal opinion, but the Lund boats I've been in throughout the years have been more comfortable than Alumacraft boats.  Now, these are all different models, but I've always thought that Lund made the best aluminum boats.

But...that's just personal preference talking there and it could have been the model of the boats that I was in.

I have a very high opinion of that Lund Pro Guide series.  If I didn't need glass, I'd have no issue getting into that ride.

8/1/19 @ 9:50 AM
nihsif
nihsif
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01

layout is a good measure to help decide, also, when I was last shopping, 2013, the Alumacraft's storage was a little deeper/generous, I think because the Lund provided a "deeper" cockpit and so the storage areas were a little shallower 

both boats are very nice and so it's going to be these little things, imo

8/1/19 @ 9:39 AM
Prop
Prop
User since 4/9/03

I have owned both went from Lund to Alumacraft. For no other reason than I liked the layout better. Dealer to me doesn't matter as I have bought boats several hours away and have the local guy fix any issues. They are always more than willing to help just as much as the dealer would that I purchased the boat from.  

8/1/19 @ 8:54 AM
NAV165
PRO MEMBER User since 5/23/05

I had an Alumacraft Navigator 165 for 9 years, used it 3 days a week all summer, very solid boat.  3 years ago I bought a Lund Impact 1875 and it's been a great boat.  I don't think you can go wrong with either one.  I agree pick a dealer you are comfortable with.  I bought both my boats from the same dealer and the service they have provided to me is outstanding.  I wouldn't think of going elsewhere.  

8/1/19 @ 7:53 AM
MuskyManiac5
MuskyManiac5
User since 4/20/07

Alumacraft has gone to an ALL Aluminum Transom, no wood to rot.  I don't know about Lund. 

7/28/19 @ 5:50 PM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess
PRO MEMBER User since 12/18/07

Ford Chevy question!  

X3, the dealer is the most important part of the deal! 

7/28/19 @ 5:23 PM
Tuffy2
User since 7/7/04

I like Alumacraft between the two mentioned. I have owned both brands. Like Grandad said, the dealer is the most important part of the deal.

Displaying 16 to 30 of 46 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
boat towed by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE