Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Alumacraft vs Lund

7/27/19 @ 9:49 PM
ORIGNAL POST
froztundra
User since 11/30/17

Any thoughts on a new boat purchase.  Looking at the Alumacraft Competitor 185 vs the Lund Impact 1875.  Any thoughts or on the pros and cons of both is appreciated.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 46 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
8/21/19 @ 2:22 PM
Drahts
User since 9/8/17

Opinions from other fishermen...

"The Ranger is clearly the nicer boat. There is an attention to detail present in the Ranger that just isn't there in the Tracker.

"That's not to say that the Tracker isn't a nice boat, because they are. But they're not in the same class that a Ranger is when it comes to fit and finish. I've also seen both type of boats out running on lakes. The Ranger has a different sound when running on plane in a slight chop. It sounds more solid. I'm not saying that it is more solid ..... but it certainly sounds more solid to me."  (Might be because Tracker has wood floors, Ranger doesn't.  Ranger also foam fills their boat, Tracker doesn't)

"I can tell you that the Ranger quality is still the same Bass pro has stated that there involvement in the company its self is to maintain the high quality of the Ranger brand lets hope they keep there word the early Ranger Aluminum's were built by some out fit in Kansas back when Gen-mar owned them and those were not a good line of boats now all the ones built now are built at Flippin plant"

"

The ride is not better in the Tracker, The Ranger is full of foam, which may not sound like much but the Ranger doesn't rattle and sound "tinney" as the Tracker does. The Ranger has a raised deck which gives you much more storage . The Rangers upholstery is superior , which means your not replacing seats in 3 years like you do on Trackers. The heavy fiberglass console is much better and roomier than the Tracker plastic one.. The Ranger is 3 inches wider than the Tracker and 80 lbs heavier. The Ranger has room for 3 batteries. The Trailer is a "c" channel trailer with Road Armor coating and a swing tongue and comes with 3 custom aluminum wheels. Ranger is backed by Ranger and Tracker is backed by... ,well you know. Plus the Ranger just looks better."                    

8/21/19 @ 1:34 PM
Drahts
User since 9/8/17

I have checked the specs, on 2019's.  I'll do so on the '20's.  Ranger specs also compare similarly to Lund, Craft, and Crest.    The trim and finish completely different on the Tracker and Ranger, which is obvious.  Gauge of aluminum and hull angle similar with all these mentioned brands above.  Ranger dealers tell people a different story about Ranger and Tracker, which I realize is their job.  At the same time, they couldn't do it for long if they were lying.  It's all Johnnie Morris, we know that.  Not all the Brunswick family of boats are equal either.

Lots of talk out there on the subject.  One example:

https://www.in-depthoutdoors.com/community/forums/topic/tracker-vs-ranger/

8/21/19 @ 12:56 PM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02

"The Lund salesmen will tell you that about the Ranger, that they're just a Tracker"

Who do you think makes the Ranger tin boat after Bass Pro Group acquired Ranger? 

Check the specs of the 2020's back and forth, all the way down to the fuel tank size. lol

8/21/19 @ 12:29 PM
Drahts
User since 9/8/17

The Lund salesmen will tell you that about the Ranger, that they're just a Tracker.   That simply is not true.  And Brunswick owns Crestliner and Lund among others, so I'm not sure why the hate for them.  Yar-Craft and Skeeter makes great glass boats, but not everybody can spend that kind of money.

8/21/19 @ 12:24 PM
anneyealator
User since 6/24/12

before i would limit myself to two brands i would chart all brands with a boat the size i wanted..check prices..some glass boats come with more standards than like alumes.. I am also not a fan of anything bass pro or brunswick..just two companies with reputations for cheapening products.. i am about to purchase a new boat myself..held off pulling the trigger to see what vexus had to offer and the new 895 model from recon..but leaning yarcraft,skeeter

8/21/19 @ 12:06 PM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02

You guys do realize your talking about Tracker boats when you mention Ranger aluminum, correct? It's simply re-badged with a different layout.

8/21/19 @ 11:05 AM
Drahts
User since 9/8/17

It may be difficult to beat Lund resale, but I think Ranger tin boats will ride the reputation of their glass boats to a degree.  I believe you will see more and more Ranger aluminum boats as time goes on.

8/20/19 @ 10:51 PM
CrawlerHarness
User since 10/10/17

Regarding the Lund vs. Ranger aluminum comparison.  

Almost everyone is cheaper than Lund.  But the resale price has always been higher in the past.  I myself don't pay the extra money for Lund, but sooner or later your buddy will be selling his Ranger and likely won't get as much interest in it as a Lund would.  Ranger is not known for aluminum boats, so I would guess it will get less interest on the resale market than the Crestliner and "craft" boats.  

8/20/19 @ 6:19 PM
Arod
User since 2/26/13

Check out the Leaking Alumacraft thread. You may want to think twice about that Alumacraft. Just a thought.

8/19/19 @ 2:01 PM
Drahts
User since 9/8/17

Buddy of mine has been looking for a tin boat, 17 foot class.  Narrowed it down to the Lund Impact and Ranger.  With the same Mercury 115 XS the Lund is nearly $3000 more with the exact same equipment.  Oh, except the Lund dealer has a generic aluminum prop on the motor with no hydraulic steering.  Ranger dealer has OEM stainless prop with hydraulic steering figured in.  Same two graphs and same trolling motor, except Lund dealer wants $600 to install it all and Ranger dealer charges nothing if bought there.  I believe it's the dealer more so than the boat.  Unfortunately Lund dealers are not found on every street corner, at least in the NW part of the state.

He's going Ranger.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 46 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.