SEARCH
MORE
Boats & Motors

Alumacraft vs Lund

7/27/19 @ 9:49 PM
INITIAL POST
froztundra
User since 11/30/17

Any thoughts on a new boat purchase.  Looking at the Alumacraft Competitor 185 vs the Lund Impact 1875.  Any thoughts or on the pros and cons of both is appreciated.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 46 posts
8/21/19 @ 12:56 PM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02

"The Lund salesmen will tell you that about the Ranger, that they're just a Tracker"

Who do you think makes the Ranger tin boat after Bass Pro Group acquired Ranger? 

Check the specs of the 2020's back and forth, all the way down to the fuel tank size. lol

8/21/19 @ 12:24 PM
anneyealator
User since 6/24/12

before i would limit myself to two brands i would chart all brands with a boat the size i wanted..check prices..some glass boats come with more standards than like alumes.. I am also not a fan of anything bass pro or brunswick..just two companies with reputations for cheapening products.. i am about to purchase a new boat myself..held off pulling the trigger to see what vexus had to offer and the new 895 model from recon..but leaning yarcraft,skeeter

8/21/19 @ 12:06 PM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02

You guys do realize your talking about Tracker boats when you mention Ranger aluminum, correct? It's simply re-badged with a different layout.

8/20/19 @ 10:51 PM
CrawlerHarness
User since 10/10/17

Regarding the Lund vs. Ranger aluminum comparison.  

Almost everyone is cheaper than Lund.  But the resale price has always been higher in the past.  I myself don't pay the extra money for Lund, but sooner or later your buddy will be selling his Ranger and likely won't get as much interest in it as a Lund would.  Ranger is not known for aluminum boats, so I would guess it will get less interest on the resale market than the Crestliner and "craft" boats.  

8/20/19 @ 6:19 PM
Arod
User since 2/26/13

Check out the Leaking Alumacraft thread. You may want to think twice about that Alumacraft. Just a thought.

8/5/19 @ 4:47 PM
Shellfish
User since 7/19/03

I think both Lund and Alumacraft make very good aluminum boats.  I have a Alumacraft 185 tournament and my brother in law has 185 Lund pro.  Both are fine boats.  I have 150 Yamaha and 8 yami high thrust kicker.  Works great as walleye boat for rigging and trolling.  I rigged it to have 2 down riggers with extra pole holder for boards for use as a salmon boat.  It handles lake Michigan well on any day I want to be out there.  Does it smooth out bigger waves like a glass boat?  No, but it sure does a lot of other things very well.  Easier to tow and drop in smaller lakes.  Great on gas, very wide and stable for casting, spot lock, lots of storage.   My brother in laws Lund is very comparable but he put 115 hp Yamaha and I think he should have got a 150.  His Lund pro might cut through bigger waves a little bit smoother than the Alumacraft.  Might have a little steeper V in hull.

Good luck on your pick.  You should be happy with either.

Shellfish

8/5/19 @ 4:33 PM
vegas492
vegas492
User since 5/21/03

Drahts...interesting.  For right now, I'll bet your wife would like the 1880 or 1860.  But, if you are considering a boat that will also do Lake Michigan when you want it to, you will want the 600 series.  It just handles the water better.  But, the 1880 or 1860 has a better back end for trolling.  No "horsehoe" of storage compartments like the 600 series.

That being said, if it is too windy to get an 1880 or 1860 out, it is probably too windy to take a 619, 620 or 621 out.

The difference is being caught in the wind...the 600 series just takes it better.

My buddy takes his 1880 out on Lake Michigan often enough, and he has little fear of big water.  Me?  I'm not so fearless...lol!

Either way, good luck in finding the right boats for both of you.  

8/5/19 @ 1:08 PM
EDGE175
EDGE175
PRO MEMBER User since 4/20/19

the Alumacraft Edge175 is the fish & ski model compared to the Lund 1775 impact.

The Competitor has storage at the base of the side walls which I did not care for because I wanted to stand right up to the inside of the boat without hitting my feet on the storage compartment. And it has small gunwales. The Trophy and Edge have large gunwales almost 12 in wide for rod holders and to mount downriggers if you plan. 

The Edge model comes in a 175 and 185.They are almost identical to the Alumacraft Trophy except the Edge does not have a livewell upfront and the 2 rear jump seats with an additional seat mount in the middle of them along with a ski pylon if wanted.

The Lund 1775 impact has the rear jump seats that fold down to a casting deck. A livewell upfront/bow area. 

After about a year I bought a new boat in late summer 2017 and picked the Alumacraft Edge 175 with a Yamaha Vmax SHO 115hp and 9.9 high thrust kicker. I didn't see a need for a bow livewell and instead there is more storage. Slightly smaller size for towing and launching at smaller lakes.

Today almost all dealers offer the Evinrude since the Alumacraft buyout in 2018.

Only suggestion would be have a house battery installed with a Blue Sea master on/off switch.Similar to the old Perko style.

The 185 or 1875 would probably be a good fit for being  close to shore on Green Bay and easy to launch at smaller lakes especially if you are fishing by yourself. That is about 8-10 grand extra for the extra 1 foot in length from the 175. Plus It bumps you up to a 150hp and probably a dual axle trailer if offered. Mid  $40's. Great for Peshtigo harbor, Marinette area,Gladstone, Little Bay de Noc. Or get a used 205 Competitor or Lund 1975 Pro V,Ranger,Recon if you plan on being on the Bay most of the time..

Either size won't fit on the Peshtigo. Fished that river with great success small mouth and pike using a flat bottom.

Both models will give you years of fun.Good Luck

8/5/19 @ 9:05 AM
vegas492
vegas492
User since 5/21/03

Drahts....what kind of water are you going to be fishing mostly?

It sounds to me like if you want the Ranger line, that 1880 or older 1860 Angler would be a great compromise boat.  Get a windshield.  Get a bimini top.  Great front deck for casting.  Open back end for cruising, pulling tubes or trolling.

My buddy has that boat and it is great.  Handles the big water of GB pretty good, but really ideal for most inland lakes.  Single axle trailer, too.  And his wife and kids love it.

The 600 series is taller, heavier and just bulkier.  Better for bigger water, but overkill on most inland lakes.

Used 1880's can be quite affordable.  2012's for mid 30's.  

8/3/19 @ 9:56 AM
nihsif
nihsif
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01

son bought a Lund Impact,   fishing/family boat, sweet boat, got it rigged for both fishing and family stuff, very nice boat! 

and Lund has a sale going on now

I still like my Amumacraft Competitor 165 tiller , got when down sized ... with Yamaha 70 is a nice fishing rig

before this one, had Crestliner Fishhawk 1750, loved that boat...

8/3/19 @ 9:44 AM
Trophy195geneva
User since 8/12/13

Looked at Lund, Crestliner, and Alumacraft in 2013. Choose Alumacraft 195 LT as it had deeper sides for big water trolling and for grandkids.  Also Yamaha motor that comes with Alumacraft a real plus, outstanding brand better than Merc.  Starts immediately always and every time after winter storage. 

Use it a lot on Erie SE Lake Mi and great for boat camping in Rainy Lake Voyaguers National Park, Minnesota.

Jalensky Marine Kenosha, Wi good pricing on Alumacraft, ask for Greg.

8/2/19 @ 6:53 PM
Geneva Kid
Geneva Kid
PRO MEMBER User since 1/1/06

Both great built & performing boats. I own a Lund 2018 1775 Pro Guide and my friend owns a Alumacraft Competitor. Fished from his and he has fished from mine. Neither of us have any complaints on each others rig. Both are equally as fast, stable and handle great. The only difference and big difference is the price. Lund is too expensive of a boat and not really better of a boat. I had a 1775 Pro V prior to my new 2018 Pro Guide which was definitely a nicer boat. However, I couldn't afford another Pro V as they are too expensive for me anyways.

Again both great boats, sorry I couldn't give you any real differences that I noticed.

Good Luck whatever you decide.

Geneva Kid

8/2/19 @ 3:09 PM
vegas492
vegas492
User since 5/21/03

I got my Ranger 619Vs 4 years used.  It was no where near $70k.  But nowadays?  Yah, some models will be that expensive.

And...it depends on what you are looking at.  I prefer the 600 series Deep V.  Others guys prefer the 1880 or 2080 models that aren't quite as deep.  Those run less.

Just depends on what you want.  I'd have a tough time giving up my 619VS.  That hull is just amazing.

And I got great, and I mean great money when I sold my Ranger bass boat.  Made upgrading very easy.

Say what you want about boats and price, but Rangers hold their value.

8/2/19 @ 1:45 PM
binder
binder
User since 6/29/02

If you’re looking for a new aluminum fishing boat, you need to look at the Crestliner.  It’s an awesome boat and extremely well-made.  

8/2/19 @ 12:46 PM
Quester
User since 1/28/07

Check out the Crestliner Fish Hawk series, the layout is very roomy. 

The 4 stroke Mercury motors have come a long way, don't over look them!

Be open minded and pick a good dealer.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 46 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing fueled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE