SEARCH
MORE
Boats & Motors

Alumacraft Hull Leaking?

9/17/20 @ 3:01 PM
INITIAL POST
BadgerRedd
User since 3/11/07

I have a 18.5' Alumacraft Navigator tiller boat and I'm concerned I may have a leak(s) in the hull since the pump blew out water for about 5 minutes when done fishing. Curious how I can get the bottom checked with such a big boat and no "lift" to pick it up? Limited to repair shop? I'm not even sure there are leaks with all the rain last week but I've fished in heavy rain before without this much water being pumped out. Any suggestions in the Madison area if I need to have it checked? Thanks !!

Displaying 16 to 30 of 44 posts
7/1/21 @ 6:07 PM
Zmaniac
Zmaniac
PRO MEMBER User since 2/8/06

I would check the grounds on the boat. This is what happens when the hull is used for grounding. Electrolysis will eat away at aluminum like it is wet cardboard.

7/1/21 @ 10:12 AM
nihsif
nihsif
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01

mouse urine is also very corrosive, check for any signs of mice... not a cure, but a prevention for future issues

7/1/21 @ 10:04 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09

My last Alumacraft had a 20 year hull warranty.  No idea if they had that in 2006 though or if it transfers owners, but something to check.

7/1/21 @ 8:44 AM
drummer boy
drummer boy
User since 3/14/08

Check your wiring that looks like electrolysis.

7/1/21 @ 8:41 AM
GreenSand
User since 1/4/08

from your pictures its hard to tell where this is actually at on the boat although it looks like it corroded from the inside out.  maybe had a battery leak or from early spring fishing (road salt) or a caustic cleaning solution

7/1/21 @ 8:28 AM
Popper14
Popper14
User since 6/30/21

Thanks for the advise.   I put some water in the bilge, it’s definitely leaking out of the corroded spots.  Looks like I have a couple other spots starting as well as the ones already leaking.  What’s interesting is this boat has never seen saltwater, and sits on the trailer when not in use.  I cannot believe Alumacraft does not have more to say about it.  I have already started shopping for a glass boat.

6/30/21 @ 11:26 PM
huntfishcrappie
User since 2/23/16

If it is on a trailer put some water in it with some food coloring in the water let it sit over night.. see if you can find the leak that way.. I used red..

6/30/21 @ 3:28 PM
GreenSand
User since 1/4/08

popper14,  looks like salt corrosion

maybe you can braze a piece of aluminum sheet over the section to get by,  this should be cheaper than tig welding a piece of aluminum over it

6/30/21 @ 10:06 AM
Popper14
Popper14
User since 6/30/21

Having a similar issue on my 2012 Navigator.  In ND fishing and found my boat filled with water the next morning.  Seems the hull is rusted, if that is possible.  Paint is blistered and a couple of spots already are holes.  Appears to be a couple of spots that have not yet broke through, but appears to have a uniform spacing which is odd.

Called and emailed the factory, they told me I I was on my own.  That’s a shame as I am looking to buy a new boat after this season.

see the pic below

10/9/20 @ 9:48 AM
John Schultz
John Schultz
User since 3/14/14

As the last few posters have said, check the livewell control valve. They are notorious for leaking if you don't get antifreeze in them over the winter. Easy to replace once you get to them. 

10/5/20 @ 8:39 AM
Fin Bender
Fin Bender
User since 9/16/11

First check should be for a cracked remote livewell valve

10/4/20 @ 4:50 PM
sniper
User since 10/17/01

Same as Rizzo. I had the front live well drain valve crack open. It was red with "quick connect" connectors on each end that snapped in place. I believe it was a Flow-Rite. They are used in a lot of boats. I checked after reading other forums. I could access it under the front battery compartment. There should be a small square cutout. You'll have to remove the battery tray to see it. My boat is a Competitor but I think they're set up the same. The valve lays on the floor of the hull in the deepest part of the boat so ice damage is common. I pour rv antifreeze in it now and haven't had a problem since. Even jacking the front of the boat up won't drain all the water from the line. Kind of a dumb setup. Definitely something to check. 

10/4/20 @ 3:07 PM
Rizzo22
User since 1/23/04

I have a 2008 Navigator 16' and it was the live well open / close valve that was leaking.The valve has an o ring and for some reason that came loose,crazy.I took out the middle floorboard and could access from there.good luck

10/1/20 @ 8:22 PM
flatlander68
User since 1/24/06

I have a 2017 comp sport 165.  I had water issues, live well intake loose.  Only happened when I ran the pump   Three times to figure it out.  Late this summer had water again.  Haven't figurered this one out

9/19/20 @ 9:33 AM
Gtuna
User since 3/26/04

I also own two Alumacrafts.A vintage 1966 FD and a1994 Backtroller both are bone dry.And catch fish!

Displaying 16 to 30 of 44 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish seduced by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE