Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

7.5 Mercury 35-40 years old, but used only 6 times

5/3/21 @ 2:17 AM
ORIGINAL POST
wini
USER SINCE 3/27/06

What would be the fair value of the above motor. My Dad purchased and I inherited. It has always been kept in the basement.Last used about 30 years ago.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 6 OF 6 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS

5/3/21 @ 3:50 PM
mendota
MEMBER SINCE 12/19/01

The water pump impeller will have maybe a few hours life in it before it fails.  Use them wisely, that's my advice.  Yes, this is from experience with lightly used older Mercs.

5/3/21 @ 8:46 AM
Bernzy16
USER SINCE 2/22/04

I also run an inherited 1972 evinrude "basement" motor for a kicker and its still going strong. Lightly used 2-strokes are getting harder to find for small boats and kickers. I know cause I looked for a few months before I found a decent 15hp merc for my jon boat. Nice cause they are still 25% lighter than new 4 strokes. Those old 7.5 mercs are good engines, still see a few around here. Change the lower unit oil, plugs, make sure plug gap is correct, feed it fresh non ethanol fuel with new 2 stroke oil (I like amsoil HP marine) and fire it up on the muffs. Make sure fuel tank isn't rusty if its steel. If it fires, idles down nice, and shifts I would expect $500. If it doesn't run and you don't know how to fix it, $150 and it would get snapped up quickly by someone who would.  Those old outboards will run forever if stored properly and run the correct fuel mixes, usually 50:1. I run my evinrude 40:1 to give it a little extra lubrication. 

5/3/21 @ 8:19 AM
Fishlovme
Fishlovme
MEMBER SINCE 6/22/01

If you can get it running, a couple hundred bucks, if you can't then probably no more than 100 bucks.

5/3/21 @ 8:00 AM
Paranoid Percher
USER SINCE 8/19/18

you dont know the year but used only 6 times Anchor bait

5/3/21 @ 6:21 AM
Fish Hound
USER SINCE 1/29/02

Couple hundred bucks at the most I would think. If you ran into somebody doing a resto that needs that motor maybe more, but I doubt that's happening with a 7.5.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 6 OF 6 POSTS
Advertise here
Keep your beverages nice and cood with double-walled vacuum insulation from Grizzly. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: GRIZZLY COOLERS - Grizzly Drinkware
Precision trolling with a low profile at an affordable price. Loaded with features, the Convector Low Profile Line Counter will keep you in the strike zone! PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: OKUMA FISHING TACKLE - Okuma Convector Low Profile Line Counter Reel
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.