SEARCH
MORE
Boats & Motors

25 HP Honda slower than others?

9/22/20 @ 1:31 PM
INITIAL POST
Safe Hunt
User since 11/2/12

I have a 25 HP 4 stroke Honda on a 16 ft Lund. Best running motor I have ever had.

But

It is slow to get to speed and not as fast as family w 25 HP Mercury and Eveinrude.

what might my problem be or is this just Honda

thanks

Displaying 1 to 12 of 12 posts
9/26/20 @ 1:41 PM
Gtuna
User since 3/26/04

I had the same problem with a 40hp honda.Dealer changed thermostat was like a whole new motor.Seems it never truly got up to temp.Was actualy a factory recall I was unaware of.

9/26/20 @ 1:32 PM
eyesman
eyesman
User since 1/7/02

BRP continues to own the E-Tec technology and maintains the rights to it. Mercury did sign an agreement with BRP to provide outboard motors for the boat companies BRP owns. 

9/26/20 @ 10:12 AM
Carpio
Carpio
PRO MEMBER User since 11/5/17

Mercury bought them out so who knows what will happen!   CARPIO 

9/26/20 @ 10:05 AM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess
PRO MEMBER User since 12/18/07

Vegas’s comments are why I’m bummed to see the Etecs go away...

They ran 100 to 1, used less gas than most four strokes, had a great hole shot, same emissions as a four stroke, and just as quiet too. They also weighed quite a bit less as compared to a 4-stroke. 

I was really hoping they would sell their design to one of the other outboard manufacturers...

9/25/20 @ 8:08 PM
percheye1
User since 6/24/01

My buddy had a 40 Honda and it was a dog. I always thought the prop looked small.

9/25/20 @ 8:24 AM
vegas492
vegas492
User since 5/21/03

I repowered to a 50 HP tiller Yamaha on a 17 foot Tuffy.  Man I loved that motor.  But, being a four stroke it was noticeably slower to get on plane than the 30 HP Mariner that was on that old boat.  Maybe even a click slower on top end speed.  I made no prop adjustments to that rig.   

I think in general those four strokes won't get the speed of a two stroke engine.  But I'm no mechanic.  And given the overall performance of a 4 stroke versus 2 stroke, I'd give up the power and top end speed for the better, smoother, quieter motor.

9/24/20 @ 3:22 PM
Symmetre
User since 5/11/20

Hondas known for two things. They're generally not the fastest. But, they are just about indestructible. 

Most Lunds are fairly heavy boats so a 25 might not be enough power to begin with, no matter what brand. What does the plate on your boat say? Generally you want to go with max power for any given hull.

9/23/20 @ 1:13 PM
fltlndr
User since 12/25/02

Could be the motor is a little under powered for a 16 ft boat. The boat is probably rated for a 40 or 50 hp.

9/23/20 @ 12:38 PM
Cambridge
User since 3/21/14

Can't speak for the other brands but having a Evinrude E-Tec I can say that these are significantly lighter weight motors due to being 2 stroke engines.  The 2 stroke technology also provides a power stroke every time the crank turns whereas the others are 4 stroke power every other turn. Thus you will see the 2 stroke tech beat the 4 strokes probably every time.

9/23/20 @ 8:33 AM
Zwiegs
User since 1/10/12

Agreed.  If motor is running fine, not missing coughing etc, look at your prop, also look to see how deep the cavitation plate is. It should be at the water line when on plane.

9/22/20 @ 3:14 PM
Tuffy2
User since 7/7/04

Call Norton’s Dry Dock in Princeton, Wi. I fought that same problem with a Lund/Honda combination. The owner is an expert in propping that combination. I am positive he can help you.

Honda has a very limited selection of prop combinations, but he will know.

Displaying 1 to 12 of 12 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
solid hook sets by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE