MORE
Boats & Motors

2004 mercury 60 hp Bigfoot 4stroke running rough at higher speed

9/15/21 @ 10:10 PM
INITIAL POST
Fv.screaming drags.com
Fv.screaming drags.com
User since 3/29/20

I have a 2004 4 stroke 60 hp fuel Injected mercury big foot on my pontoon boat that will start running rough and almost die at high rpms. Like it's starving for fuel I've checked and cleaned the fuel filter. Replaced the fuel line from the tank to the motor including the primer ball. And also checked all vents for obstructions. After I did all that it ran fine for a couple days but now it is doing the same thing again and I'm stumped. If anyone has had this problem before and or has any thoughts on what could possibly be going on that would be great thanks in advance for any help or advice you can give. 

Displaying 1 to 10 of 10 posts
9/22/21 @ 4:20 PM
44/45
PRO MEMBER User since 3/9/11

I would also look at the pick up line inside the fuel tank if you have one. It's possible you may only have a nipple on the exterior of the tank. One small piece of debris may be enough to obstruct your fuel flow.

9/22/21 @ 2:42 PM
Fv.screaming drags.com
Fv.screaming drags.com
User since 3/29/20

Thanks for all the responses and yes it is fuel Injected and has a primer bulb still but no choke 

9/22/21 @ 6:54 AM
Shellfish
User since 7/19/03

Could be as simple as bad plugs or coil starting to fail.  Try a different fuel tank with fresh gas after you have changed the plugs.  

9/20/21 @ 4:05 PM
Wjbk95
User since 4/12/21

Chopper…marine gas??  I don’t think I’ve ever seen marine gas at any gas station 

9/20/21 @ 4:02 PM
Wjbk95
User since 4/12/21

And to the whip guy…OP said he had fuel injection, doesn’t that mean no primer ball???

9/20/21 @ 4:00 PM
Wjbk95
User since 4/12/21

Couple years ago I let mine sit over winter with only a 1/4 tank of gas, didn’t realize till the next spring and after running for a bit had the same problem, changed the plugs and all was fine.  Bad, old gas??

Displaying 1 to 10 of 10 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
ice drilled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE