SEARCH
MORE
Boats & Motors

1978 115hp Johnson

3/17/18 @ 4:30 PM
INITIAL POST
Keep a Tight Line
User since 3/17/18

I have a 1978 Johnson on my boat.  I have not used the boat in over 10 years as I got out of fishing.  Well I have missed it and want to get back on the water.

The boat needs a few things as you can imagine, but before I get to deep I wanted to make sure it will still run.  I put in a NEW battery, clean terminals, checked fuses, and there is no wire damage.  

When I turn the key there is a "click" on the motor.  Of course that would be the solenoid.  Nothing else happens.  I had someone work with me to turn the key and see where we loose power using a multi-meter.  Odd thing is, we can't find power anywhere, even to the solenoid.  Now I realize how stupid that sounds because we do know how to use a multi-meter.

So of course the starter does nothing, just sits there.

The boat is located in Deerfield and I am hoping that someone is willing to help me through this.

Any thoughts?

Displaying 1 to 2 of 2 posts
4/24/18 @ 4:12 PM
mattw
mattw
PRO MEMBER User since 5/6/16

Incase you have not figuted it out yet, I would make sure you dont have a safety kill switch that is not working . My 1984 rude had one and the very first time the boat was in the water at the launch it would not start becaise the switch which was brand new did not close the way it was suppose to in order for the boat to start 

Displaying 1 to 2 of 2 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
boat towed by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE