SEARCH
MORE
Big Game Hunting

Zone F bear hunt update

8/15/22 @ 9:01 PM
INITIAL POST
mikieb
User since 10/11/15

I posted earlier this year that I drew a zone f bear tag for this year.... It has a 8% success rate.... 

Well, so far, I have been baiting since early July to get them coming in.... and so far... Not bear one yet... Lots of fat raccoons and plenty of chipmunks... but not one bear yet. 

It's funny, because I have three different bait sites,  all a few miles apart from each other and all in good spots near water and the thickest cover away from any houses... 

I have seen bear sign and bear poop in the close vicinity. So, there are bear around. But, still not one bear picture yet.   I may eat this tag.   I am not giving up untill the end of September at the soonest. 

Displaying 1 to 11 of 11 posts
10/12/22 @ 8:13 AM
ihookem
ihookem
User since 11/29/01

Thanks Trouty for the info. This is what Lake-Link used to be like.  You had a very good season. Better than mine and I was in Zone A. I saw a bear for 5 seconds.  I too am looking into the bear zones cause I have land west of Shawano , but it is grassy high land , scattered trees type of land so its a no go there. 

10/11/22 @ 2:30 AM
Trouty
Trouty
User since 1/26/19

I also had a tag in zone F. I'm no expert but I agree with several of the comments from before. The closer to zone C the better. Sents up the trees etc. 

My season ended Monday October 10th. I didn't shoot a bear but I still feel like my season was a success. I had 5 different bear hit my bait. Had one walk right underneath me. It looked small so I passed it. After looking at the pictures it was about the same length as the logs. They were cut to 42 inches. 3 of the bears were much bigger.

Plus I learned a ton about bear and their behavior. Only had one bait. Used doughnuts in the beginning of the summer transitioned to mostly trail mix in the middle of August. Used Northwoods Bear Products Goldrush mixed with fry oil for sent.

I was on my wife's grandparents property the north boarders highway 161. I had a great year probably won't hunt there next year have a friend across 161 getting a tag next year I'll probably help him out. 

Scott

8/22/22 @ 5:13 AM
river_chaser
User since 10/3/12

Like someone mentioned you may need to use a long range scent attractant placed high in a tree so the wind catches it.  

Staying within the confines of the law cooking and eating your breakfast of 2 pounds of bacon in your tree stand 3 days a week might do the trick.

8/21/22 @ 10:40 AM
mikieb
User since 10/11/15

I think why I have not bear one yet.... is because i still see large fields of sweet corn yet... at the same time, black berries and wild plums are ripe right now... their should be a small food drought just before the acorns start to fall. I am positioned right near some fairly large group of large oak trees, near water and low pressure privet land... so things should turn here soon. Fingers crossed. 

8/16/22 @ 11:41 AM
fishnhunt14
User since 4/17/07

Zone F looks tough, a lot of dead zone with no bears. As others have mentioned I'd try to as close to the Zone C boundary as you can find. I'm sure others have the same idea though. It's not too late to start baiting new spots. I bear hunted 3 years ago and we did not start baiting until August 14th and had baits get hit right away.

8/16/22 @ 4:47 AM
JEYESLAYER
JEYESLAYER
User since 2/8/06

Are you using liquid smoke or anise as a attractant in a spray bottle. I always used this and sprayed it around the bait on trees and saplings.

8/15/22 @ 10:36 PM
Knot so hot
Knot so hot
User since 1/28/11

Zone F looks like a tough zone. If I had a tag for Zone F I would be looking at Waupaca, Oconto and Shawano county. I would bet almost half the bears in Zone F are harvested in those 3 countys. Good luck this year, sounds like quite the challenge ahead of you. I was not fortunate enough to draw a tag this year but next year I should be able to get one in Zone C. Lots of bears on my deer cams on Oconto County public land 

8/15/22 @ 9:37 PM
big mac
User since 2/19/02

I am NO expert!!! Others on here can be more precise. 

But look at changing styles of bait. From sweets to more nuts, dry goods, apples, etc.

Don't be afraid to get baits more in open areas. Look for mature oak trees. 

Good luck & keep us posted. 

Big Mac 

Displaying 1 to 11 of 11 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing equipped by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE