C-Junkie22
C-Junkie22
User since 11/16/10
DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 83 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
1/31/20 @ 4:49 PM
percheye1
User since 6/24/01

Ice fishing that is a great comparison. I never thought of it that way I guess I always hoped for most people to be guided in following the law but when you think of the violations for fishing no doubt that the hunting violations are increased.

1/31/20 @ 3:00 PM
icefishingbestfishing
User since 11/27/19

badgerstatehunter, I couldn't agree with you more about the tags.

I keep reading that "95%+" of hunters follow registration rules. I can't really comment on that, as I don't see too many people actually harvesting the deer.

However, I am on the water/ice 100+ days a year. If you told me 90% of the people fishing in Vilas follow the regulations fishing, I'd laugh in your face.

Based on my experiences fishing, I can't believe the claim that "95%+" people are properly registering their deer.

1/31/20 @ 11:01 AM
oldhunter
User since 2/28/13

"Doyle, in defense of the proposal and being “too old” they clearly state anyone 60 or older or with medical conditions would be exempt. "

Yes, the preliminary drafted question does state that.  However, it appears that the NRB/DNR does not have the legal authority to incorporate those stipulations. It has been stated that would have to be a legislative change in law.

1/31/20 @ 10:56 AM
earlyretirement
earlyretirement
User since 3/2/13

jkb-- I found your comment very interesting and surprising.  I agree with you about the messed up late season.  I do have a question for you... Do you have any wolves on trail camera???  Or are you just covering ground and finding the pockets without wolves?? I have about 30,000 acres within a 25 miles public radius of my house.  I scout and camera as much as I can and there is a 130 to 140 inch buck on almost every single property i scout. BUT I am down south. 

1/31/20 @ 9:55 AM
JC-Wisconsin
User since 4/1/05

"Many of you must have forgotten what happened during the gun season in the state.  Southern half of the state- 58% of corn still standing., rain on virtually every day and extremely late start so little movement due to rut.   Northern Wisconsin- late start so little movement , Wed, blizzard that dropped 12-15” on most of northern Wisconsin effectively stopping hunting.  Hunters could not pull off the road to park or they would get stuck.  Logging and back roads weren’t plowed so hunting areas were inaccessible. "

I think this is copied from page 112 of the DNR "Public Statements" book.

I get the standing corn in the south/central, but I don't get how counties in the north where little ag is available had the greatest decreases in harvest.  The weather was perfect in the north through Wednesday, and opening weekend was stellar.  Opening weekend numbers were sharply down.  Many counties in the north had a decrease of 30-50% in harvest numbers where standing corn is not common compared to around 15% decrease in the south.  Everyone forgets the record setting snows the last two months of winter in the north in 2019, and obviously predation is playing a large factor.  When multiple counties have more deer killed by wolves than rifle hunters, it is not a small impact anymore.  

1/31/20 @ 9:48 AM
ere
User since 2/22/07

agree with JKB, over 1 million acres of standing corn, weather, late start. Our farm had changes this year one third of the acreage was in CREP, tall nasty thick habitat,the rest in corn, sitings were way down bowhunting, corn was harvested the week leading up to the opener. Although siting's were way down I had to drive slow leaving because of the deer crossing the road into the neighbors fields. I talked with several friends who weren't even able to access there property due to high water. I totally get though that there are areas in the state that have issues.

1/30/20 @ 8:08 PM
JC-Wisconsin
User since 4/1/05

Doyle, in defense of the proposal and being “too old” they clearly state anyone 60 or older or with medical conditions would be exempt.

1/30/20 @ 7:30 PM
Wicasa
Wicasa
User since 11/11/15

Well, because it’s the right thing to do, I’d know, and I still have to look in the mirror.

1/30/20 @ 7:09 PM
One shot one kill
MEMBER since 8/12/02

Warden force is so thin that if you're in an area where their never seen , why even bother buying a license if you process your own ?

1/30/20 @ 5:40 PM
badgerstatehunter
User since 2/6/06

I agree with at least having to tag deer.  On a selfish level, I miss the registration stations, and the fun that came with them.  It was fun to stop, even if we didn't have any deer.  I used to love seeing what other people harvested.  This year I barely even saw a deer on a truck in passing.  But I get why we don't have them at least.

But the tag, if there is something to be suspicious about, will tell the story.  The way it's set up now, if I was trying to not tag a deer, I could get away with it even if the DNR asked as long as it was no later than the day after harvest and I had a tag for that county.   Will using physical tags stop poaching?  No, nothing ever will, but it will at least help investigations of poaching.  If someone is seen with an untagged deer, it's an automatic violation.  I like the laws in some states where it's a violation to even move a deer for a picture or to field dress without a tag.  Leave no doubt it was a properly harvested deer.  Right now, if I get the deer home and processed before the end of next day, I could say the heck with it and not even punch tag.  I personally won't ever do this, but I can see how easy it would be to do.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 83 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.