LOGIN
Lake-Link

Wisconsin elk draw open

5/2/18 @ 10:21 AM
ORIGNAL POST
379 Peterbilt
379 Peterbilt
User since 7/17/01

Wisconsin elk draw open to residents. Clam Lake herd, 5 tags available. Good luck!

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 49 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
6/24/20 @ 8:10 PM
rikj
rikj
User since 7/29/01

It was a few days ago, if you didn't hear anything you did not draw............

6/24/20 @ 5:22 PM
EYE_SKI
EYE_SKI
User since 3/26/19

when is the draw?

5/27/20 @ 6:39 PM
fishnhunt14
User since 4/17/07

NRB voted against the DNR's recommendation for the 6 bull quota. It will be 10 bulls this year, the same as the past.

5/27/20 @ 8:09 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09
I would agree with that as well.  If they were going to flourish, they'd have done so in the past 25 years....

5/26/20 @ 4:53 PM
Wicasa
Wicasa
User since 11/11/15

Just my opinion, but I think based on sound science and fact...

We’ll never an elk hunt with anything like out West or even Kentucky numbers.  Keeping it real, it’ll be, at best, like Minnesota’s moose hunt used to be.  A once in a lifetime novelty hunt, but able to sustain itself.

5/26/20 @ 4:15 PM
Greenheads4Ever
Greenheads4Ever
User since 2/9/03

I am happy to give my $10 to the continuing elk restoration project and the RMEF raffle opportunity.  I'm also glad to see the DNR is not allowing 10 bulls to be harvested this year if the herd cannot support.  I hope this hunt continues for the foreseeable future!

5/26/20 @ 3:03 PM
Swamp buck
User since 1/23/09

The truth is conservation is hard and expensive. I'm sure everyone has their pet project they would love to see the DNR spend money on. Applying for the tag is cheap-10 bucks- big deal for almost no one. If we can funnel the money in to expanding the elk herd the opportunity's should increase.

5/26/20 @ 11:46 AM
fishnhunt14
User since 4/17/07

Not sure I would have applied this year if I would have know there was only two tags available... oh well only $10. Personally, I would rather see the DNR spend their time and money on improving the species that are already established here. Could have bought some nice pieces of land to make public in southern WI  with the millions they spent on elk... 

5/26/20 @ 10:46 AM
Swamp buck
User since 1/23/09

I'm glad to see people have applied and hopefully more do in the future. That money will inject some much needed capitol into the elk project and who knows we could very well see the tags and herd increase. All hunters should consider this an excellent opportunity. I would love to draw a tag!

5/26/20 @ 10:08 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09

Read up on the people who have gotten tags and been successful, its pretty much been said numerous times that they all met with locals, did the leg work to find where the elk are.  The DNR also points you in the right direction.  

Personally I have seen elk many times when going through the area.  A number of bulls too, only one that was big though.  Early hours were the most sightings.  That was without looking for them.  

As far as the hunt itself, it never seems like it will get much beyond this.  Look at how many years the elk have been there, not exactly taking off.  They tried this same experiment years ago and it failed.  Not saying this will fail, but its not what they were hoping for I'm sure.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 49 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.