SEARCH
MORE
Big Game Hunting

Wisconsin elk draw open

5/2/18 @ 10:21 AM
INITIAL POST
Iconic
User since 7/17/01

Wisconsin elk draw open to residents. Clam Lake herd, 5 tags available. Good luck!

Displaying 1 to 15 of 49 posts
6/24/20 @ 8:10 PM
rikj
rikj
User since 7/29/01

It was a few days ago, if you didn't hear anything you did not draw............

6/24/20 @ 5:22 PM
EYE_SKI
EYE_SKI
User since 3/26/19

when is the draw?

5/27/20 @ 6:39 PM
fishnhunt14
User since 4/17/07

NRB voted against the DNR's recommendation for the 6 bull quota. It will be 10 bulls this year, the same as the past.

5/27/20 @ 8:09 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09
I would agree with that as well.  If they were going to flourish, they'd have done so in the past 25 years....
5/26/20 @ 4:15 PM
Greenheads4Ever
Greenheads4Ever
PRO MEMBER User since 2/9/03

I am happy to give my $10 to the continuing elk restoration project and the RMEF raffle opportunity.  I'm also glad to see the DNR is not allowing 10 bulls to be harvested this year if the herd cannot support.  I hope this hunt continues for the foreseeable future!

5/26/20 @ 3:03 PM
Swamp buck
User since 1/23/09

The truth is conservation is hard and expensive. I'm sure everyone has their pet project they would love to see the DNR spend money on. Applying for the tag is cheap-10 bucks- big deal for almost no one. If we can funnel the money in to expanding the elk herd the opportunity's should increase.

5/26/20 @ 11:46 AM
fishnhunt14
User since 4/17/07

Not sure I would have applied this year if I would have know there was only two tags available... oh well only $10. Personally, I would rather see the DNR spend their time and money on improving the species that are already established here. Could have bought some nice pieces of land to make public in southern WI  with the millions they spent on elk... 

5/26/20 @ 10:46 AM
Swamp buck
User since 1/23/09

I'm glad to see people have applied and hopefully more do in the future. That money will inject some much needed capitol into the elk project and who knows we could very well see the tags and herd increase. All hunters should consider this an excellent opportunity. I would love to draw a tag!

5/26/20 @ 10:08 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09

Read up on the people who have gotten tags and been successful, its pretty much been said numerous times that they all met with locals, did the leg work to find where the elk are.  The DNR also points you in the right direction.  

Personally I have seen elk many times when going through the area.  A number of bulls too, only one that was big though.  Early hours were the most sightings.  That was without looking for them.  

As far as the hunt itself, it never seems like it will get much beyond this.  Look at how many years the elk have been there, not exactly taking off.  They tried this same experiment years ago and it failed.  Not saying this will fail, but its not what they were hoping for I'm sure.

5/25/20 @ 4:54 PM
frenchbrit
frenchbrit
User since 7/24/01

Something is not right with this whole Wisconsin Elk hunt. First I'll say I have been opposed to it from the beginning. The herd is not big enough to start an annual Elk harvest. Now they are cutting tags down from 10 to 6. That tells me something. The ability to harvest the big Bulls they have been makes no logical sense to me. I'm quite certain that those who have drawn tags are all from out of the area with the exception of the Natives who get half the tags automatically. I'm almost certain they can also hunt at night which of course makes a big difference. I'm not bitching about them just stating what I believe to be true. The other tag holders however are the ones where the mystery is. They do not know the area. The elk are very scattered in thousands of acres. I live fairly close to both of the northern herds. I also spend a hundreds of hours all year in the elk range here. I rarely see an elk. If I do its usually cows and calves. The bulls I have seen are all very small and usually spikes or small forks. I have seen the pictures of the bulls they are harvesting. They are BIG BULLS. I call total BS to this hunt. I have to believe the DNR is helping those hunters with the tags by locating them with the radio collars. They may not have collars on the bulls but they can find the herds by locating the cows. This smells to high hell and certainly isn't ethical. There is no possible way these hunters can find these bulls on their own. If there are elk guides in this area I have never seen one nor heard of any. They would also be broke being an elk guide in Wisconsin. Something Stinks.

7/17/18 @ 4:56 PM
Cold Front
User since 7/9/01

Lead sled and duct tape. That will do it. Mrt.

7/17/18 @ 12:36 PM
.Long Barrels
User since 12/9/14

I'll see if my 16 month old can hold up the rifle by hunting season.  Or maybe if I can figure something out for a shooting rail on the play pen,  maybe that will work.  

6/27/18 @ 1:15 PM
.Long Barrels
User since 12/9/14

I got a tag,  gonna transfer it to my 4 year old to shoot.

6/25/18 @ 7:18 AM
One shot one kill
User since 8/12/02

For privacy so the nuts will not bother them  ?

6/24/18 @ 5:01 PM
percheye1
User since 6/24/01

I think I read a week ago they let the winners know who they were. I saw where they were from didnt see names.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 49 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
ice drilled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE