ORIGINAL POST
no-luck
no-luck
USER since 12/14/12

Link to proposal:

https://dnr.wi.gov/topic/hunt/bear.htm

Proposed changes to be effective 2021.

Changes:

Zone C bear geographic area is changed and these rules apply inside Zone C.

Training of dogs from July 1 to August 31 allowed.

Hunting with Dogs during open bear season allowed.

No restrictions on number of bait sites.

Two areas of a larger area impacted, Eau Claire and Clark County.

My concerns are as follows:

Impact to the archery season

Number of guides putting multiple bait sites in the county forest

Impact to bait only Bear hunters.

Conflict with small game hunters, private land owners.

Conflict between hound hunters and other users

Comments can be made to address below thru mid-nite April 14.

DNRBearPlanComments@wisconsin.gov

Edited on 3/27/19 4:47 PM
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 10 Posts
6/12/19 @ 9:35 AM
buckmaster69
buckmaster69
USER since 1/24/11

Finally got it right ! No hound running for bear during the hunting season in zone c. 

Edited on 6/12/19 9:35 AM
Post Your Comment
3/31/19 @ 2:18 PM
ihookem
ihookem
USER since 11/29/01

Thanks, Tim, I didn't know that but I will enjoy a little later bear hunt. In Price & Sawyer co. I dont see nearly as many bear hounds as I used to .

Post Your Comment
3/31/19 @ 7:10 AM
Tim_T
Tim_T
USER since 6/17/11

ihookem,

I agree with you. If you said you'd take a permit this year on your application and drew one, you take it or lose all your points. Can't turn it back in like one used to be able to do many years ago.

Tim

Post Your Comment
3/30/19 @ 9:10 PM
ihookem
ihookem
USER since 11/29/01

That is one foolish proposal. Just wait till the dogs run a bear up a tree on private property and the owners are against hunting. I was bear hunting and some fool let out some of their dogs and they went right on my land thinking they were on a bear but was just a stupid coon. They trespassed on my land , walked right by my cabin according to my dad and didn't even knock for permission or to explain anything till they saw my dad. Bunch of A holes. Those dog hunters are terrible and we are lucky they didn't already ruin the sport, but just wait, this might be the last straw . There is just too much private land in that zone. Running bear with dogs  is down a lot over the years as far as I can see.  Dogs are expensive and people are getting older and can't run like that anymore. I have a tag this year a regret getting one  for this year. I think I have a tag anyway and have not checked yet. I should cancel if i can till next year if i can.

Post Your Comment
3/30/19 @ 1:21 PM
BrewCrew4Ever
BrewCrew4Ever
USER since 10/27/09

The only thing the DNR should do in Zone C is give less tags and not open it to dogs. Dog hunters are going run blocks that are too small. There is going to be a lot of conflict with private land owners. The excuse is always, "I can't control where the bear goes." People screw with other people's baits enough in Zone C. What are they going to do when dog hunters start running their active baits for bait sitters?

Post Your Comment
3/29/19 @ 10:42 PM
dodger
dodger
USER since 9/3/01

Clearly, the DNR is caving in to the dog hunters ( * Wisconsin Bear Association ) without any consideration to the private property owners in Zone C. It can't be denied that SOME dog hunters don't care if their dogs go across private property chasing bears off of baits that have been maintained for months. This also will be a problem for deer hunters. Big deer and bears do not tolerate being pushed around by dogs.

Sure, we may have blocks of big public land in Central Wisconsin but a lot of that land is not huntable and is bordered by private property. 

I would encourage anyone with this problem to call a warden when bear or coyote dog comes through your property. 

This is a dumb proposal. Keep the dogs up north where the chance of disturbing other hunters is lower.

* I personally have been told the Wisconsin Bear Association is mostly an association of dog hunters. 

I'm not looking for a fight or appreciate the name calling. I think this needs to be said and a lot of people think the same way I do.

Post Your Comment
3/28/19 @ 2:27 PM
Mr.Bass1984
Mr.Bass1984
USER since 6/12/10

If that's the real map then they made an error on the southeast border of zone c.  They have the border as hwy 73 when in reality the line showing is I-39.  I'd benefit from the new zone, but am not sure about allowing dogs.  Our area is composed of tons of small parcels and it would cause some interesting issues with landowners.

Post Your Comment
3/28/19 @ 9:03 AM
Terrific_tom
Terrific_tom
USER since 6/9/08

Map of proposed Bear zone changes. The proposed management plan also includes the use of dogs in Zone C

Post Your Comment
3/27/19 @ 5:44 PM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
USER since 7/20/09

Kind of interesting.  To be honest it doesn't affect me but I can see it irritating people.  I think they should tread lightly with dog hunting because not every state allows it.  I assume zone C has more archery hunters than areas north, just due to deer density.  Probably more private land and areas for conflict too.  The last thing they'd want is to irritate non-dog hunters, there are more of them.  When Minnesota voted against dogs, that gap just grew over the years.  Not something I would think they'd want to start in WI.  

Edited on 3/27/19 7:23 PM
Post Your Comment