SEARCH
MORE
Big Game Hunting

Unique situation

11/28/19 @ 11:35 PM
INITIAL POST
MightyHunter
User since 3/25/06

Alright I'm looking for opinions  on how this situation should be handled. I drew a picture to help picture the situation.

My family and I have a property that consist of 55 acres. We bought it in 2010 and in 2012 I put a stand up (gun stand) on the north end of the property about 100 yards away from the the north boarder. It over looks a 2-3 acre little point on the creek that the deer bed in. It's a textbook spot and in the last 6 years, we shot 6-7 good quality mature deer from this spot. See deer all day long. Just a spot that everybody wish they could hunt and we are fortunate to have it.

Here is the problem, the deer come off the two surrounding properties to enter this bedding area and that's when we get our opportunity. Well we shoot the deer on our property (and have passed many on the neighbors land or waited til they get to ours) they run on to the neighbors, weather it be 10 yards to maybe 100 yards. We always text or call asking to retrieve the deer. Well he seems to think this is a problem and is getting to the point where he may not let us in anymore to get the deer.

I feel like we have done nothing wrong and we just have a unique situation here. 1) the stand is 100 yard off the board and facing into our property 2) all deer are shot on our land and passed if not 3) we always ask permission to retrieve deer no matter what

Am I missing something, how should I handle this and what is the best way to go about hunting our best spot. Just puzzled

Displaying 1 to 15 of 59 posts
12/10/19 @ 9:34 AM
.Long Barrels
User since 12/9/14

Master piker,  well said.

12/10/19 @ 6:37 AM
Master_Piker
Master_Piker
User since 12/7/05

I can shed some first hand experience from the other side of the fence on this issue, as my family deals with this on an annual basis with more than one neighbor. My uncle owns 380 acres where we deer hunt. His neighbor to the south owns about 60 acres (~40 acres of ag field and a 15-20 acre strip of woods that leads from a creek bottom in the valley up to the 20,000 pine trees we planted when I was 12 years old that offers GREAT bedding / cover when everyone starts shooting). This neighbor has 3-4 guys that hunt his land (again 3-4 guys hunting 15-20 acres of woods)...two of them sit within 15 yards of my uncle's fence line, neither one of which is a very good shot. Between bow season and gun season this year ALONE, they have asked to trail 6 wounded deer into by uncle's property. 2 bucks and 4 antlerless. This is an EVERY YEAR occurrence. And the sad part is they use a crossbow during archery (have nothing against using a crossbow, but there is ZERO excuse to be wounding that many deer with ANY bow, let alone a crossbow!). They are nice to him year-round, stop and BS, offer to help with things, etc. This year was the final straw though. We have always asked them to call or stop at the house to ask, and when they do, permission was granted but they had to wait until after dark to go look for the deer. The owner of the property came up after trailing a wounded buck 300 yards into my uncle's land after dark to ask for permission to keep going. Basically, he was to the point that if he kept trailing it, my uncle would have been able to see his flashlight in the valley across the road from his house. An argument ensued and basically my uncle told him to learn how to shoot or get off the fence line. Like I said, there is a 15+ year history of this poor/unethical shooting and hunting, and enough is enough. The neighbor to the NW also sit on the fence line and every year we usually find 3-4 deer dead in that valley as well, usually with arrows in them from archery season. This group can at least shoot a rifle fairly well. We understand that it happens, but when it happens every week or every other week from September through November, it gets old. Fast. Anything more than once a year is not acceptable in my eyes. You are either doing something wrong or sitting too close to the fence.

Having a good relationship with your neighbors is crucial in the event that you would need to trail a wounded animal onto their property, but you cannot abuse that privilege. It should be the exception, not the rule. It sounds like you may be in the same boat as my uncle's neighbors. Either learn how to put that deer down before it gets to the property line, wait for the deer to get further into your property or move farther from the property line. Probably not what you wanted to hear, but the way you make this sound, they probably have a valid argument. This sounds like an annual problem and, like them, I would have let the first couple slide. But these neighbors are paying tens of thousands of dollars to buy their land, plus annual property taxes, food plots, stands, licenses, etc. and that is just the MONETARY 'costs'...then there is the maintenance of the property, fence lines, buildings etc. that is labor-intensive. If the tables were turned and he were knocking on your door every year wanting to trail another deer into that bedding area that is so productive for you, would you not be frustrated? Maybe the area of land adjacent to your bedding area is one of his most productive feeding areas and you keep tracking deer through it? Just food for thought...I obviously have never seen your property, but there has to be other places on your land that deer pass through, feed or would otherwise offer shots? If not, maybe it is time to start making improvements through food plots, watering holes, plating trees for mast production and additional bedding area, etc. to draw those deer away from the fence line where you can put them down before they make it to the fence? There are two sides to every story, but my guess is your neighbor values the time, money, effort and labor he has invested in his property and hunt and would like to try to reap the benefits of his labor.

I have bow hunted a small (15 acre) block of woods for 12 years and shot several nice bucks there and never had to track a deer onto the neighbor's land until this year when I hit my buck in the liver. When we found my buck, he helped me drag it to the road and then jokingly said it is unfortunate we had to track that buck so far (died 50 yards onto his property), but he was glad that he finally got to meet the 'mystery guy' whose truck he always had seen parked there, but never saw. He did give me permission to track any deer I shot onto his land, but I asked for his phone number and told him that although I appreciated his offer, I will not set foot on his property without contacting him first. I also dropped a 12 pack off at his place during gun season as a thank you, as I saw a few empty bottles in the bed of his truck so I knew what he liked. I hope I never need to call him for that favor again, but if it would happen in a few years, I know he would allow me to go on his land again. 

Like a couple others have suggested, it may be in your best interest going forward to swallow your pride, go talk to him well after hunting season (to allow him time to cool down if needed) and then have an honest conversation about your expectations of each other and find out EXACTLY what his feelings are and what is bothering him. Then adjust your hunting strategy accordingly. Sorry this was long-winded, but if you step back and take a look at the big picture, you both probably want the same thing...to have successful hunts. Now it is a matter of finding out how to do that without interfering with one another. Good luck!

12/9/19 @ 2:40 PM
1pass
User since 6/27/17

I would change up my bullet type. I experienced this a few years ago. I went with the ammo I shot the best at the range with. Had one mature buck and a horse of a doe run on me. Knew the shots were placed well but they went both over 100 yards. I was using Federal 150 grains. Since I went back to the Winchester 130 grain power points in .270.  I haven't had one even take a step since . No mater where I hit them.

12/9/19 @ 12:25 PM
.Long Barrels
User since 12/9/14

maybe they will get sick of catering to you.  I don't see an issue with them saying "screw you".  You will have to shoot them through the shoulders and make sure they drop on yours....

You have 55 acres and your stand is 100 yards from the boarder,  well move it back 200.  

I understand neighbors not happy with other neighbors.  I've been there.  

There is a lot more to this story you aren't telling us.  Maybe the neighbors plant crops,  provide a food source all year,  improve their land and try to help the deer....then the neighbor that doesn't do a thing puts up a gun stand 100 yards from the boarder,  kills a pile of deer then wants to come on to the land to retrieve them.  Did you ever think of that?  Put yourself in their shoes......I'd talk to them...find out if they actually care this is going on.

This is WI,  you know EVERYONE owns their OWN deer.....

Plant your own food,  put a plot screen around it,  lure the deer from the bedding onto your land.  Put in some time....spend some money.  Not much else you can be told.

I will also add YOU SHOULD be passing deer on your neighbors property.  That's an unwritten,  unspoken rule unless other arrangements are made.

It's also not a unique situation,  congratulations,  you now are a landowner.  Your problem is not unique,  the same BS goes on ALL OVER

12/9/19 @ 10:31 AM
youp50
User since 8/18/19

I have little experience in this matter.  I own approximately 60 acres in the western UP.  This year is the first year I really hunted it.  Its nice having section upon section of public and public access land to hunt on.

I have witnessed several incidents were 'hunters' get extremely possessive of a spot.  Like you should get away.  

I think that your success antagonizes your neighbor.  He has these bucks on camera and that transfers ownership to him.  And then THAT neighbor (you) shoots another one.  One that he had passed as a yearling, 2 and then 3 year old.  And then you shot it...again.  Year after year.  And it runs across the line onto our property.  And he leaves the gut pile there.  

Its easy for me to see why he is getting testy about it.  People get funny about a deer.  I feel a great disservice is done when someone asks "Did you get YOUR buck?"  No, I killed a buck, but it wasn't mine.  

I would recommend shooting the bucks high through both shoulders.  There really is not much meat there.  Stay with a tough bullet, you do not need a softball size exit wound.  When you break both shoulders and the spine, it is not going anywhere but down.  It is the same shot that should be taken on a bear. Break them down.  Study the anatomy of deer.  You will find the spot where both shoulder blades and the spine align.

There may come a day when he says no, stay off my land.  Losing 5 pounds of bloodshot venny is nothing compared to losing a whole deer.

PS My 8 year old grandson killed his second deer in two years of hunting.  He is hard on backstraps, but we never trail.  My prayer for him is always a clean kill or miss.  A few inches of strap is a small loss when compared to the remaining deer.

12/9/19 @ 8:50 AM
Jzzzzz
Jzzzzz
User since 1/19/02

this area we want is essentially just on our northern line with the neighbor farm its a rectangular section of grass and some willows, it would square up our property line up to the corn fields so we would have 40 acres that butts up to corn fields, its not a huntable section its primarily bedding. the way the county assesses land value is the assessed property or gross property value divided by how many acres for example this particular farms 40 is valued at 37,000$ divide that by 40 acres and you get 925$/acre  again this is not realistic for land but that's how its "done" .   Ill re visit it again in summer and talk with the owners again,its not a big deal.

goodhuntin all!

12/8/19 @ 7:47 PM
Cold Front
User since 7/9/01

If you look at it as money spent, you will never buy hunting land. If you look at it as money invested in recreational property, it might be worth it. As said before , it matters where it is. Look at other listings to get a handle on it. You may be able to direct the seller to those examples and come to terms. Mrt.

12/8/19 @ 1:24 PM
ihookem
ihookem
User since 11/29/01

The question is, where is the parcel. There is an unbelievable difference in price when it comes to location. Was it in Waukesha co.? If so 5k an ac. is still high but would not doubt someone paying it.  Where my cabin is,  $5,000 an ac. will get you high ground with river frontage and a cabin to boot. Before you go looking for this parcel, remember, there is a reason it is so cheap. Ya can't say its too high , ( but almost for sure is) till the location and county is given. .  . Seems few here mention where they are . Example: someone writes in "I sat all day opening day of gun and only saw 4 deer" ( insert sad face) to find out he was in central Wisconsin , Shawano co. If I saw 4 deer in one day where I hunt ( Price /Sawyer co. public land) I would be pumping my chest!!. Snicker. Back to the 12 ac. say you pay $1,500 and ac. , you are at $18,000 . For $18,000 you can have it. There is not a deer in my book worth $18,000 just to have some marsh grass. I dont think it is money well spent unless you really have money to burn.

12/6/19 @ 3:41 PM
the_dude
the_dude
User since 1/10/03

Unless you are in Bayfield county, you aren't getting swamp for $1,000 or $1,500/acre, let alone tillable.  

12/6/19 @ 3:36 PM
Jzzzzz
Jzzzzz
User since 1/19/02

haha yeah that's what I did.

12/6/19 @ 12:14 PM
brews4995
brews4995
User since 4/2/10

If you are serious about it $2000 an acre is probably a more realistic starting point. Sounds like they really don't want to sell.  Say thanks and tell him you got my number if you change your mind. Or a briefcase of cash stairing someone in the face can change minds quickly too!

12/6/19 @ 10:17 AM
Jzzzzz
Jzzzzz
User since 1/19/02

sorta off topic so I apologize but I have to vent some what, and ya e ya ya I know Im probably in the wrong albeit,  but anyways long story short our property  line to the north butts up to a farm that is essentially 2 large corn fields and some canary grass/thicket swamp but mainly a swath of canary grass this is the section that we wanted to buy because it would just square up our land then, and we hunt it, the owners don't hunt and are old, we wanted to get the grass section from them across to our western property line aprox. 12 acres at most. anyway texted and spoke with the folks and the son, son is rather short and to the point on things okay never had a problem with them at all in past. anways he wanted a number I said the assessed county value is $792.00/acre  which is obviously not realistic for crop land, I offered $1,000/acre I would go $1,500 again this is basically a large rectangle section of canary grass. he came back as saying that they want $5,000/acre I said wow! even just for the grass section we want , yes!  um okay well  thanks anyways

just kind of frustrated at this today but o well its not my land right, but that just seems really high! for what it is. 

12/6/19 @ 6:59 AM
Mr.Seaguar
PRO MEMBER User since 2/5/05

You can hit a deer with a car in the front shoulder and not lose much meat, I've done it 2 times. There just isn't much there.

12/4/19 @ 11:59 AM
Mr.Bass1984
Mr.Bass1984
User since 6/12/10

How often do you go onto this guys property?  I think that's the main question.  We have a slightly similar situation on a 50 acres piece and even though we have agreements with the neighbors to retrieve deer I can only remember a handful of times over the 20 years of actually having to pursue a deer on the neighbor's land.  If it's maybe say once or twice every couple of years than I side with you, but if you're tracking deer 2-3 times per season then I'll side with the neighbor.

One thing I'll add is on shots and shot selection.  I've shot a lot of deer with the gun and some drop instantly and some don't even on perfect shots.  I've shot 3 deer this year one bow kill and 2 with the .300mag.  One with the bow went 50-60 yards on a heart shot, one with the gun that went through one lung and the stomach and dropped instantly, one with the gun through both lungs and it went a little over 100 yards even though it had a softball sized exit wound that was spraying blood everywhere.  I would never aim for the shoulders intentionally because thats wasting a lot of meat.

12/3/19 @ 1:24 PM
bass423
PRO MEMBER User since 3/1/12

My suggestion may have some challenges but if you hunt that bedding area from the NE near the property boundary and let the deer walk past you, you have a much better chance of the deer traveling away from your neighbors and staying on your land.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 59 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
percision control by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE