Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Unique situation

11/28/19 @ 10:35 PM
ORIGNAL POST
MightyHunter
User since 3/25/06

Alright I'm looking for opinions  on how this situation should be handled. I drew a picture to help picture the situation.

My family and I have a property that consist of 55 acres. We bought it in 2010 and in 2012 I put a stand up (gun stand) on the north end of the property about 100 yards away from the the north boarder. It over looks a 2-3 acre little point on the creek that the deer bed in. It's a textbook spot and in the last 6 years, we shot 6-7 good quality mature deer from this spot. See deer all day long. Just a spot that everybody wish they could hunt and we are fortunate to have it.

Here is the problem, the deer come off the two surrounding properties to enter this bedding area and that's when we get our opportunity. Well we shoot the deer on our property (and have passed many on the neighbors land or waited til they get to ours) they run on to the neighbors, weather it be 10 yards to maybe 100 yards. We always text or call asking to retrieve the deer. Well he seems to think this is a problem and is getting to the point where he may not let us in anymore to get the deer.

I feel like we have done nothing wrong and we just have a unique situation here. 1) the stand is 100 yard off the board and facing into our property 2) all deer are shot on our land and passed if not 3) we always ask permission to retrieve deer no matter what

Am I missing something, how should I handle this and what is the best way to go about hunting our best spot. Just puzzled

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 48 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
TODAY @ 11:14 AM
brews4995
brews4995
User since 4/2/10

If you are serious about it $2000 an acre is probably a more realistic starting point. Sounds like they really don't want to sell.  Say thanks and tell him you got my number if you change your mind. Or a briefcase of cash stairing someone in the face can change minds quickly too!

TODAY @ 9:17 AM
Jzzzzz
User since 1/19/02

sorta off topic so I apologize but I have to vent some what, and ya e ya ya I know Im probably in the wrong albeit,  but anyways long story short our property  line to the north butts up to a farm that is essentially 2 large corn fields and some canary grass/thicket swamp but mainly a swath of canary grass this is the section that we wanted to buy because it would just square up our land then, and we hunt it, the owners don't hunt and are old, we wanted to get the grass section from them across to our western property line aprox. 12 acres at most. anyway texted and spoke with the folks and the son, son is rather short and to the point on things okay never had a problem with them at all in past. anways he wanted a number I said the assessed county value is $792.00/acre  which is obviously not realistic for crop land, I offered $1,000/acre I would go $1,500 again this is basically a large rectangle section of canary grass. he came back as saying that they want $5,000/acre I said wow! even just for the grass section we want , yes!  um okay well  thanks anyways

just kind of frustrated at this today but o well its not my land right, but that just seems really high! for what it is. 

TODAY @ 5:59 AM
Mr.Seaguar
MEMBER since 2/5/05

You can hit a deer with a car in the front shoulder and not lose much meat, I've done it 2 times. There just isn't much there.

TODAY @ 5:19 AM
jkb
User since 6/25/02

Bass , I completely agree with most of your post.  You can save 100% of the meat by shooting them in the eye but that isn’t ethical.  The question was how do you keep the deer on your property after it is shot.  Aiming for opposite shoulder will anchor the deer and damage one shoulder.  If you ever have processed your own deer you would know that an exit wound through opposite shoulder damages less than 2 pounds of sausage meat.  If I am weighing the pros and cons, I’ll go for the sure kill with little tracking.

FYI, aiming for spot in front of or behind far shoulder is one of the deadliest bow shots but you need penetration.

12/4/19 @ 10:59 AM
Mr.Bass1984
Mr.Bass1984
User since 6/12/10

How often do you go onto this guys property?  I think that's the main question.  We have a slightly similar situation on a 50 acres piece and even though we have agreements with the neighbors to retrieve deer I can only remember a handful of times over the 20 years of actually having to pursue a deer on the neighbor's land.  If it's maybe say once or twice every couple of years than I side with you, but if you're tracking deer 2-3 times per season then I'll side with the neighbor.

One thing I'll add is on shots and shot selection.  I've shot a lot of deer with the gun and some drop instantly and some don't even on perfect shots.  I've shot 3 deer this year one bow kill and 2 with the .300mag.  One with the bow went 50-60 yards on a heart shot, one with the gun that went through one lung and the stomach and dropped instantly, one with the gun through both lungs and it went a little over 100 yards even though it had a softball sized exit wound that was spraying blood everywhere.  I would never aim for the shoulders intentionally because thats wasting a lot of meat.

12/3/19 @ 12:24 PM
bass423
MEMBER since 3/1/12

My suggestion may have some challenges but if you hunt that bedding area from the NE near the property boundary and let the deer walk past you, you have a much better chance of the deer traveling away from your neighbors and staying on your land.

12/3/19 @ 5:34 AM
jkb
User since 6/25/02

Some of you must not have much experience shooting deer.  There are times when a deer is heart shot and runs 100 yards like a bat out of hell and then falls over dead.  I shot a large buck years ago that was double lunged but didn’t hit a bone/ rib.  That deer ran 150 yards before dying spraying blood out both sides of its body.  The point being saying every deer will drop within 50 yards is ridiculous.  Breaking the far side shoulder is your best bet at getting the deer to drop and the bullet will travel through the vitals.

12/2/19 @ 5:53 PM
huntfish
User since 6/16/03

A well placed shot should have your deer down 50 yards maximum, with 20-30 yards ideal. If its running farther than that something is wrong with bullet type or placement.

12/2/19 @ 4:39 PM
nemab-man
User since 7/5/11

Always a good idea making friends with the neighbors.

Or, you could try that shooting them in the foot and asphyxiating them with a plastic sack play Asleep at Reel uses.

Not the neighbors, the deer.  

12/1/19 @ 9:47 PM
badgerstatehunter
User since 2/6/06

Of course you want to get along great with neighbors.  Heck u and they may need the courtesy someday.  But to the op, if it is a routine thing where u almost plan on tracking onto neighbors, that would be an issue.  Deer runs a little further etc, it happens but should be exception not the rule.  Again this is just regarding initial post.  This isnt saying never let neighbors do this.  Most here are reasonable. But if its every year or multiple times a year, you should change how you do things.  Free reign is not the right answer.  As a neighbor you need to be helpful to avoid this as much as possible.  So if my neighbor was calling all the time, yes I'd take issue with it.  Once every few years?  Sure I'll help u find it and celebrate.  Like most debates this has turned into an all or nothing thing.  Either never let them or give them free access to your land.  Like most things the answer is in the middle.  Try to avoid it but have good relationships in a hopefully rare circumstance.  

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 48 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.