Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

School me on the ways of hunting public land

11/23/20 @ 7:25 PM
ORIGINAL POST
lovestofishnhunt
USER SINCE 6/13/06

I have been hunting private land for deer my entire life.  For those of you that hunt public, I have some questions.  I hear all the time to find a good spot on public land, prepare to walk a ways.  How far do you typically travel and how do you get your animal out if you are a good distance from your vehicle?  I assume atvs are not allowed?  It's my understanding that you are not allowed to alter trees.  So does this mean no cutting branches, limbs, etc?  Aren't you guys just a sweaty mess if you are hiking quite a distance?  Do you really limit what you take so you can be more mobile or do you pack everything because walking back to the truck is just a pain in the rear?  What about when it's really cold?  Do you pack your clothes in so you aren't sweating the entire walk in?  I give all you public hunters a lot of credit.  This seems like a heck of a lot of work.  I'm very curious to read your responses.  Thanks for your time.

DISPLAYING 21 TO 23 OF 23 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS

11/24/20 @ 4:45 AM
cohoho
cohoho
USER SINCE 5/10/07

I’ve hunted public land in Vernon County for years. I’m just going to answer yes to all questions for gun season. I’ve both shot deer and not seen any deer 50 yards from the truck to what seemed like 2 miles straight up carrying my climber and full pack dripping in sweat. I think what it boils down to during picking the spot that they will run to when all hell breaks loose on opening day then play wind for the rest of the season. 

Bow hunting public is more like what hunting is supposed to be. No food plots or fancy blinds. Funnels, food and bedding areas (and of course wind).

I saw more deer this year bow hunting than gun season so far. I did get a nice doe yesterday but that is the only deer I saw this gun season. Taking the day off to heal the aches and pains of getting older, then back at it. Good luck to all wherever you hunt!

11/23/20 @ 9:51 PM
phowlsant
phowlsant
USER SINCE 2/25/12

Hunt 50-100 yards in from a deer crossing sign. There's a reason it's there. 

DISPLAYING 21 TO 23 OF 23 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.