SEARCH
MORE
Big Game Hunting

Replacement Heavy Duty Backpack Straps

7/31/20 @ 7:46 AM
INITIAL POST
Thump55
User since 7/19/04

I am having trouble finding a set of quality backpack straps to replace some cheaper lighter duty ones. These packs are used for packing out elk quarters and we had some trouble last time with the web straps breaking.

The frames are fine (modified frame pack frames that I added a bottom shelf to), so I am just looking to upgrade the straps. 

Any leads appreciated...

Displaying 1 to 6 of 6 posts
8/3/20 @ 8:17 AM
fishnhunt14
User since 4/17/07

Army Surplus MOLLE straps. Ebay has good deals on these usually. Put them on my treestand last year and they helped alot

8/3/20 @ 7:09 AM
Thump55
User since 7/19/04

I was able to find what I needed from Molle. Can't believe it was that hard to locate some, but they are on order. REI stuff is pretty much replacement straps for specific packs, not general purpose, so you can't tell what will fit.

The webbing on the packs I have is only 3/4" wide. Not tough enough to handle packing elk out. They were originally cheaper frame packs that I added the bottom shelf to. They worked OK for one elk, but started breaking on the second, and were not comfortable with that amount of weight.

Good luck to everyone else headed west this fall.

8/1/20 @ 12:17 PM
river_chaser
User since 10/3/12

Web straps breaking? Ive never heard of straps breaking.  Sewn webbing is used to tow tractors, lift heavy machinery and strap 10 tons of material to flatbeds.  If the webbing has grommets then that might be your weak point. 

Like was said try REI or some place that sells serious back packing and climbers equipment. 

might try strapworks  

friends and I have relied on these they will not break. 1.5 inch or 1 inch width you can use the 1 inch straps for strapping meat and equipment to the frame.  These are worth every penny and will last decades of use and abuse.

8/1/20 @ 5:10 AM
4GILL
4GILL
User since 3/1/15

Not sure what your definition of "cheap" is but...  I had not been happy with the straps that came with my self climbing tree stand.  For less than $20, took (2) gun slings and on the sewing machine stitched a really good system to back back my stand into the woods.  The advantage to the gun slings is that they are padded.  It might be a little more than you want to spend, but the fact that they no longer dig into your shoulders is worth it.  Stuff that didn't sell at retailers last year is now clearance priced; You might be able to pick some up at a nominal price.

Good luck, 

Gill

7/31/20 @ 1:10 PM
madforlabs
User since 12/20/12

Check out REI Co-op. Many options that should suit you.

Good luck. Packing quarters is blissful agony!

Displaying 1 to 6 of 6 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
percision control by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE