LOGIN
Lake-Link

Public Land Vs Private Land

11/23/20 @ 1:36 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Fishlovme
Fishlovme
MEMBER SINCE 6/22/01

I am curious who all hunts private land and who all hunts public land?  How many acres do you hunt on?  Do you do hunt both, stay on private land, or stay on public land, or possibly a combination of the both when your property backs up to public land?

DISPLAYING 31 TO 40 OF 113 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS

12/15/20 @ 6:32 PM
ihookem
ihookem
USER SINCE 11/29/01

I only have 7 acres, so I use my 1/4 ac. yard as a food plot. I plant clover every other year and that helps. However, I dont hunt my land a lot cause its only 7 ac . and dont care much to go on other owners land to get a deer. Therefore, I go hunt the big public land all around. I never said " there is truly no deer" . I have made it clear they are scarce. You will not get every deer in the area with a food plot . When deer concentrate too much , the wolves figure it out real fast when they come through. 

12/15/20 @ 9:33 AM
Casedog
Casedog
USER SINCE 10/4/11

I hook- you ever think of planting some food plots?? If they have cover and food they should bounce back just fine! The other nice thing about a food plot is if there is truly no other food you should have every deer in the county on your plots! If u build it they will come!!

The wolves should have moved on by now if there truly is no deer so you should be good there! Also there having a wolf hunt next year which should help! Good luck next year

12/15/20 @ 8:26 AM
T Doyle
USER SINCE 1/30/20

Four of us hunt public land smack dab in the middle of Oneida county. I have gone three years without even seeing a deer. We have harvested a couple of does in the last two years. Shooting a doe on public land where we hunt is equivalent to shooting a 10 point buck that almost seem to be tied up to a tree on the private hunting lands of central and southern WI. Big buck harvesting is a rich mans sport.

12/14/20 @ 6:35 PM
ihookem
ihookem
USER SINCE 11/29/01

I am not only considering game species so i can shoot them. I am considering land that should be growing trees that are useful to wildlife that should be there but are not.  I mentioned there is no regeneration of cedars . I have never seen a small cedar tree there in 40 yrs. NONE!. I do see some small Hemlocks in the fall that are about 1 yr old. By spring they are gone. I see a few White Pines but very few at all and when I do see them they are very chewed up. The reason for this may seem that there are too many deer, but this is not the case. There is so little for them to eat that they eat White Pine. I have even seen that they have eaten my Spruce trees. However, I have not seem them eat my spruces in over 10 yrs. ( you can thank the wolves)That is a starvation food according to my a forester I know.  I am however glad to see the White Oak trees coming up by the thousands the last 5 yrs or so. This is good . Some day there will be acorns for them to eat if they get above the deer browse. I also mentioned the fact that almost all the swamps are tag alder. I dont think they eat Tag Alder buds. However, it still is a very poor wintering area for deer . Compare Tag Alder swamps in the winter to Cedar swamps and it is easy to see the cedars have more value. So, it is not that I am just looking through the scope to shoot something like you imply. I am looking at the whole system and wonder what is wrong with the land.  If there is something wrong with the land , there will not be much for wildlife. There is no doubt almost everyone here that hunts north of HWY 8  on public land knows very well what I am talking about when you can walk a mile in 3 day snow in the 1st week of November and cant even cut a dozen deer tracks , there is something wrong with the ecological system. Look at the deer harvest in Price co. It is not so good, and most come from private land , and almost all the deer are shot over bait.  I hunt the public and never bait and that is a very tough hunt . about half the  years I dont even see a deer , even in 4 days .

12/14/20 @ 5:03 PM
ihookem
ihookem
USER SINCE 11/29/01

No , it is not a stretch to call it that. If you  disagree with someone without a valid reason, then your opinion is not worth anything.  Please explain why it is not an ecological desert. Mind you , I have had land up there since 1989 and have been going up there for over 40 yrs now.  The west side of Price county and the Flambeau River State Forest is some very poor land. If it is not an ecological desert , then common sense says there should be a healthy wildlife population.  The only thing worth mentioning is grouse and bear numbers. The land has mostly tagalder for swamps and has little value to deer in winter  compared to cedar swamps. The high land in the state forest is way over mature, and there is no regeneration of cedars or hemlocks for winter cover. There is almost no regeneration of white pines and the few young White Pines that are there get nipped to death by the deer. There are White Oaks coming up all over and glad to see it but almost all of them are less than  3' tall and are not above the deer browse . There is " brush " growing all over and seems useless to the deer.  I'm not sure what much of it is. I  see what I call Ironwood and some other trees that dont grow to be anything at all.  Thankfully grass grows in the summer right in the woods , otherwise there would be almost nothing for the deer to eat.  I have not seen a snowshoe hare since 2006. I have not seen a buck in gun season since 2009 and gun hunt there every year. 

12/14/20 @ 9:12 AM
Bowhunting Guy
USER SINCE 5/22/18

They are public property. Have at it. Anyone who constructs a blind on public land assumes the risk someone else could use it. 

12/13/20 @ 9:09 PM
Fishlovme
Fishlovme
MEMBER SINCE 6/22/01

I have a question about hunting blinds used for waterfowl. If they are on public land are they public property, or does someone, whoever made it, own those?  Does the DNR build some of those on public land to use?  

I hunted for deer on a waterfowl property today and one of those blinds looked like a perfect spot to sit in during the gun deer season, but I wouldn't want to intrude if those are private property on public land.

12/13/20 @ 8:45 PM
Fishlovme
Fishlovme
MEMBER SINCE 6/22/01

I hunted a 78 acre public hunting parcel near my house this morning.  I walked all over the place before finally seeing one set of tracks in the brand new snow.  It then turned into two sets of tracks, one small and one larger, which after following it for quite a ways I came to the conclusion that it was a doe with her fawn. It was neat following the tracks, but would've been neater if I had actually seen a deer.  I need to go and scout some of these properties near my house earlier in the year to find out their movements.   I did find some buck scrapes on the property as well, but no tracks near them and they were out of season today anyway.

12/13/20 @ 4:41 PM
ihookem
ihookem
USER SINCE 11/29/01

Trouter, I have seen that in the past.  I decided to hunt about 5 miles away and it was better. Most public is not as bad as your experience, but huge chunks of it is that bad, so bad that I call much of west Price county an " ecological dessert", and it is not a stretch to call it that. 

As for Deadbucksdontlie,, I have sat 28 times this year and saw deer 12 of the 28 times . So, 43% of the time, I saw a deer or several deer. The most I saw was 4 deer in one sit. I settled for a doe the day after Thanksgiving cause I didnt get a deer last year after 44 sits, but I did see more bucks last year.

12/12/20 @ 8:37 AM
trouter
trouter
USER SINCE 7/3/01

I hunt public land in Adams County.   I hunted around 20 times in October and November.  I have yet to see any deer while hunting.

Public land is a cemetery where poor hunters go to bury their hopes of filling a deer tag.

DISPLAYING 31 TO 40 OF 113 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.