LOGIN
Lake-Link

Public Land Vs Private Land

11/23/20 @ 1:36 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Fishlovme
Fishlovme
MEMBER SINCE 6/22/01

I am curious who all hunts private land and who all hunts public land?  How many acres do you hunt on?  Do you do hunt both, stay on private land, or stay on public land, or possibly a combination of the both when your property backs up to public land?

DISPLAYING 20 TO 29 OF 113 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS

12/18/20 @ 10:15 AM
JC-Wisconsin
USER SINCE 4/1/05

"Yes, I know JC like to bait .  Honestly  we could ban bait and hunt them like we used to . I dont see the harm in it at all. They would have to moove more , that is for sure. "

I remember that argument back in 2002 when baiting was banned statewide.  All I heard were complaints about lack of seeing deer.  I remember that argument when Lincoln County was banned, and yet deer hunting has continued its downward spiral.  Baiting is oversold as making hunting worse.  If the deer aren't there to begin with, it is pretty hard to blame anything other than deer aren't there to begin with.

12/17/20 @ 5:57 PM
ihookem
ihookem
USER SINCE 11/29/01

Actually, I own 7 ac. I dont even hunt it. I cross the Flambeau River and likely have hundreds of acres to myself. I dont really go there to see deer. I go there , ,, well, , , cause I have a cabin there and have owned the land for almost 32 yrs. I went down to Chitcago and bought the 7ac. with 300' of S. Fork Flambeau River  frontage for $3,000. As much as 3k was when I was 25 yrs old. I knew very well that it was a deal I will never regret. That summer , all of us carpenters went up to build a 24x24' cabin in a weekend. I still have it. The taxes are  whopping $252 this year. WTH, they went up $18 !! . " Come on man" . The deer hunting was ok, but that is all I can give the deer hunting was "ok". Now , it is downright dismal.  There is a bunch of cabins down the road that bait and bait and bait.  They get deer and I rarely see a buck . Have not see one in 11 yrs  during the gun season. And no , I am not a crappy hunter. I can sit in Washington co. public in Nov. and see a buck every other sit, so it's not me, honest. Yes, I know JC like to bait .  Honestly  we could ban bait and hunt them like we used to . I dont see the harm in it at all. They would have to moove more , that is for sure. LakeShiner, I am sure your area is better than mine , but I have some down the road that shoot every little buck and bait opening of bow and dont stop till Thanksgiving. By the time I gun hunt there , most of the bucks are at freezer camp. They would not be doing so well if they had to hunt without bait. 

12/17/20 @ 12:29 PM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
USER SINCE 7/20/09

I don't think the numbers really account for the pups.  For instance I had one female wolf on camera with 4 pups.  I don't think they will all survive, but maybe more will if the competition is reduced?  Not sure, just throwing that out there.

12/17/20 @ 11:23 AM
fishnhunt14
USER SINCE 4/17/07

Trouter- How can you say a wolf hunt with a harvest of 260 wolves will not help the deer population? Current population estimate is ~1000 wolves. So a 25% reduction is certainly a step in the right direction.

It is estimated one wolf kills 20 deer per year. So 260 x 20 = 5200 more deer after year one. After several years of 'compounding', it will certainly help. 

12/17/20 @ 10:21 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
USER SINCE 7/20/09

I was joking, I know he dislikes baiters from past posts.  Its a big county, the southern half is a lot of agriculture.  I wish they divided it personally into north and south zones.  Would help with the doe tags.  Where I am we didn't have doe tags for 6 years I think.  Then we go to county zones and magically tags every year.  That's when I saw the numbers go down more.  Gun season comes, guys go near the cabins and dump corn and shoot the does.  Of course again, that is just what I see by me. 

12/17/20 @ 9:44 AM
JC-Wisconsin
USER SINCE 4/1/05

"I don't think a food plot would be worth the effort and cost in Bait County....I mean Price County. "

I beg to differ.  I hunt in a Bait County.  Food plots work awesome, and even better than bait because bait runs out quickly.  However, if he is stuck on 7 acres there are other issues of not seeing many deer, and greatly limits food plot potential.  

12/17/20 @ 8:26 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
USER SINCE 7/20/09

I agree it probably won't do much.  Before they were hesitant to go all out and get them to the numbers they wanted because they had to play the politics game and not completely freak out the anti's.  I assume the same thing will happen again with the first couple hunts.  Then they'll give a bunch of tags to the natives that they won't fill.

12/17/20 @ 7:01 AM
trouter
trouter
USER SINCE 7/3/01

During the 2014 wolf hunt, 154 wolves were harvested.   In 2013, it was 257.  In 2013, it was 243.

If the next hunt is consistent with the previous 3 hunts, harvest will be likely less than 260.

This percent of harvest will have minimal impact on wolf/human conflicts or the deer population.

A hunt does not fix any wolf problem.   Not with the 25 farms that reported predation of livestock, not on the deer population.  

Did dogs lost to wolves stop after the last 3 hunts ?   Did wolf predation of livestock stop after the last 3 hunts ?   Did the deer population explode after the last 3 wolf hunts  ??

Not at all.

12/16/20 @ 6:22 PM
ihookem
ihookem
USER SINCE 11/29/01

Lakeshiner, I also had more nicer bucks on the cam than I had in 10 yrs. I had a real bruiser 2 times that would make Buffalo co, proud. Where he went , I likely will never know. Find his sheds and we will know. It has been a long time since I was not disapointed in the buck numbers. Does are still about the same. This year was ok, last year was bad and 2018 was really looking up till the stupid late winter came and put 3' snow on the ground. Even buried the trail cam for a month.

12/16/20 @ 3:15 PM
IcyMeatTreat
USER SINCE 1/18/18

I think lakeshiner hit it on the head.  The deer of the Northwoods are not the deer of the Central and Southern part of the state.  The vastness of cover the Northwoods provides, I found, is the biggest hurdle to overcome with the deer there, especially in cases of heavy predation.  Deer's agility and adaptation to be able to move through cover that more resembles portals to hell than woodland tracts is what they rely on most heavily to avoid wolves (I can't tell you how envious I was of this ability more than once this gun season).  They seem to abandon instinctual tendencies of transient deer to move in sections of cover through open areas with favorable wind, and instead just stick to the thickest possible cover they can find, and they move through it with ease.

Wolves are more efficient predators than humans because of the advantages they have of being on equal plane of physical capability with deer (more efficient, but not near as lethal, unless someone gets a little heavy in the scotch the night before).  As humans, we are entering these territories, clumsy and two legged, and trying to be competitors in this game between wolf and deer in some of the harshest terrain in Wisconsin.  

Deer numbers aside, as I'm sure the wolves have still had considerable impact on herd sizes, I think this is one of the primary reasons for barren woods.  The deer are there, just nowhere near nonchalant enough to come face to face with a hunter.  

In some other areas of the state, if you shoot and miss a deer, ehhh, that's okay.  Just sit tight in some cover and wait for half an hour and they'll be right back for another go-round, lol.

DISPLAYING 20 TO 29 OF 113 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.