MENU
Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Once a Spike, always a Spike. Great Article.

12/9/14 @ 5:09 PM
ORIGNAL POST
qdmaguy
User since 6/14/10
Nice...I've never been a "once a spike always a spike" kind of guy but certainly know many who are.

I did just read an article in MN Outdoor News that had compiled some info out of TX. That research pointed to the fact that a spike is NOT always a spike...however, it did also find that the vast majority of spikes permanently lagged behind same age class bucks who sported forked antlers the first year

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 43 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
12/26/14 @ 9:24 AM
DLAMA2
DLAMA2
User since 5/1/05
Good article. Most bucks that are on your property are not born on your property.

Most of the bucks we have around are main frame 8's. Very few 10's. So where ever they filter in from 8 is the main gene.

Getting some freaky big 6's also with in the last 4 years.

12/19/14 @ 11:34 AM
fishfinder101
fishfinder101
User since 1/1/10
I've been hunting around 60 acres and have just the opposite going on. We do not have much for food on our property. mainly crp with a couple ponds with thick brush around them. So most of the deer we see are using our area for bedding or passing through from a neighbors property with is mainly bedding area also. We only hunt the edges of the bedding ground and If i had to guess i would say we never walk or touch 75% of the property, which in return keeps deer on our property just about all the time during hunting season. When food gets hard to find we hardly see a deer track on our property, this is usually sometime late december or january, depending on snow fall. We also have on particular bedding area that we never go in no matter what anywhere near or during hunting season. I dont know all of the neighbors but one that i have spoken with do not shoot does and only bucks outside the ears they claim. Ihave not seen them shoot any doe yet, but have helped them track and finished off a buck for them that came on our property and it wasnt quit out to the ears either. We consistantly see about the same number of deer each year for the last 10 years we've been hunting it. I think the two biggest factors are leaving the bedding area alone and allowing deer to feel safe and also keeping track of how many deer were seeing and letting that dictate what we allow shot on our property, whether doe or bucks.

12/19/14 @ 10:55 AM
bassmaster+recordracks
bassmaster+recordracks
User since 2/25/12
"You know, I’ve often wondered if some of the truly massive does (and bucks, for that matter) aren’t a separate subspecies of whitetail deer. "

Rainbow, we had some massive does with wide butts 4 of them to be exact. We let them go for a few years and noticed they never had any fawns with them. We decided to eliminate them. They looked to be some type of hermaphrodite. Bigger than a 3 year old buck.

12/19/14 @ 10:54 AM
qdmaguy
User since 6/14/10
mike7mm...if you come across that research on young does/old does and their tendencies to drop buck fawns/doe fawns I'd appreciate a link sometime. I like reading that kind of stuff

12/19/14 @ 10:50 AM
bassmaster+recordracks
bassmaster+recordracks
User since 2/25/12
Repump all we can do is do what we think is right. Cant control other properties but over 200 acres is plenty enough to be a main contributor in the deer herd in your area. They wont shoot em all and if you do your part I am sure it will help. I let deer filter in all season by not having human scent is certain places like runways or cross ways and stay out of the middle of the property and don't push so much. You mentioned that one owner shoot everything. Sometimes thats good to keep them moving. I have taking many deer while hunting the mistakes of the neighbors. Not sure how you are hunting that land but if it is a good mix of bucks and does shoot very few does and only mature bucks and you are doing your part whatever the DNR, DNA or I say for that matter. Smile

12/19/14 @ 9:20 AM
Rempump
User since 5/8/03
I like all of the ideas and input, a pretty good LL thread!

So whats your guys opinions-

I hunt 220 acres. About 60 acres is timber, marsh and river bottom and the rest is farmland. A majority of the deer we have on our property bed on other land and come to our land to feed. Surrounding area is a mix of low land, river bottom and swamp. In this section/area, we have a majority of the food. In early bow season we might see 15-20 deer on a sit. On 3 cameras spread across the property we will see 5-15 deer a day. A majority of the deer are does with 1 or 2 fawns. I figure on any given day we have 15 or so deer enter and or stay on the property. How many does should we shoot? My buddy, the farmer and his boy hunt the property. Our neighbor to the west shots a doe or buck, not both. the neighbors to the north shoot very little for deer. The NE land owner shoots anything that moves. The neighbor to the east takes a few does and or bucks. The guys to the south and there is lots of them, the land is broken up into 20 acre plots shot a fair amount of deer. Both bucks and does.

With this many neighbors and this many hunters taking deer, how does one decide on what to shoot? Do you shoot old does, young does, little bucks or big bucks. The point is it is really hard to manage ground when you have 8-10 different neighboring land owners. We can all do our best but the deer cross fences? What do you guys think?

12/19/14 @ 8:28 AM
RainbowRunner
RainbowRunner
User since 5/31/02
You know, I’ve often wondered if some of the truly massive does (and bucks, for that matter) aren’t a separate subspecies of whitetail deer. It seems like all the truly massive deer have a characteristic “blocky” appearance with a squared-off black nose and a deep reddish coat. The only deer I have mounted (an unusual 8 pointer) was one of these deer. Not a huge rack or anything but he certainly was a huge deer.

Since I hunt entirely public land, I’ve taken deer from Oconto, Marinette, Langlade, Forest and Florence counties, many times deer from different counties in the same year. I’ve often noted subtle differences in the appearance of these deer. I’ve read that the typical northern Wisconsin whitetail is subspecies Odocoileus virginianus borealis or the common “Virginia whitetail”. In southern Canada and even into western Minnesota the more common subspecies is Odocoileus virginianus dacotensis or the “Dakota whitetail”. I wonder if some of these Dakota whitetail couldn’t have wandered into Wisconsin and interbred with the Virginia whitetail.

Eh, it’s just a thought.

A little bit OT but one problem with being a wandering public land hunter is that some people assume that you hunt only near your cabin. A few years ago when northern Oconto county (old DMU 49A, where my hunting cabin is located) was buck-only, I shot a big doe over in eastern Marinette county (old DMU 51A) which was in Herd Reduction. I’m hoisting the doe into the maple tree to cool and drain and this guy driving by stops and starts reaming me out for shooting a doe in a buck-only unit. Kind of presumptuous, no? That’s one problem with having your cabin too close to the roadway!!!

RR

12/18/14 @ 11:20 PM
mike7mm08
User since 9/19/02
Don't have a link and I am too lazy to search for it at the moment. More than one study came up with same results.In regards to shooting does there is a right and wrong doe to shoot depending on the situation. Young does are more likely to have buck fawns. Older does typically have doe fawns. Looking to reduce numbers shoot the older does as you will reduce the number of future breeding does. Want more bucks let the younger does walk to breed. Problems can occur if the doe population is too young and lots of buck fawns are being born. The younger does are less likely to send the buck fawns on their way and there is limited dispersing of the bucks. Fine if you got great genetics on the property. Not good if genetics are not the best as the bucks will prevent other bucks from moving in. Properly managing deer is much much more than a simple numbers game. But convincing the DNR and most hunters of that is nearly impossible.

12/18/14 @ 7:13 PM
qdmaguy
User since 6/14/10
Haaaaa....just saw I typed "DNR" instead of "DNA"....too dam many times typing the former I guess Big Smile

12/18/14 @ 7:00 PM
Tipsy diver
MEMBER since 8/10/06
QDMAGUY Thanks for your "research". I was always baffled by people's attitude of "lets take a doe and let the bucks go" to build a quality herd. Deer do not come out of the ground, they come from quality does AND quality bucks

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 43 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.