Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Wisconsin Bear Hunting

3/24/08 @ 8:41 PM
ORIGINAL POST
BearHillSportsman
User since 12/27/07
i got a tag this year for bear hunting and i amm looking for some advice. i am wondering wear i should bait on my land. the last 2 years i have had a friend and a family member hunt the same stand and both have seen bear and got them on the trail camera at the same stand. my dad thinks that i should hunt on the other side of the land which is across a fairly messy swamp. do bears really travel that far and through that much just to get food. any advice is greatly appreciated. thanks. notice the screen name. that is literally the spot that the bear have been seen and that is not a joke. the spot is called bearhill and that is the name of the road we r closest to.

DISPLAYING 51 TO 60 OF 2,701 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
5/13/20 @ 10:01 PM
Tr carper
Tr carper
User since 6/15/15

You don't need a fall tag to bait. 

5/13/20 @ 9:05 PM
fishnhunt14
User since 4/17/07

I would think if a spring season was created they wouldn't allow people with a fall tag to start baiting until the spring season is over.

5/13/20 @ 8:31 PM
Tr carper
Tr carper
User since 6/15/15

I dont think a spring season will work. I'm sure it would cause to many issues between them and turkey hunters. Also fishnhunt14 how would public land be less crowded. I'm pretty sure as of April 14 we could start baiting again. So most baits sites are kept up with. So if your just starting out and not part of a group it's probably going to be hard to find easy baiting areas. 

5/13/20 @ 1:35 PM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09

Maybe, might depend on how many 'guides' work your area.  Where I hunt there are quite a few that run 30 baits each.  They fill up areas quickly on the public land and I assume they'd do it in spring if they could.  I always figured many of those baits didn't even get hunted much, if at all.  But if you are a do-it-yourself guy looking for a spot you'll run into their stumps yet and think people are all over.

5/13/20 @ 1:07 PM
fishnhunt14
User since 4/17/07

The big advantage to having a spring season is public land will be less crowded, especially in the southern zones. I hunted zone c last fall for the first time and there was bait sites everywhere. It was difficult to find areas to bait without stepping on peoples toes. If there was half as many people hunting I think it would have been a much better experience.

5/12/20 @ 2:44 PM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09

Spring bear doesn't have much appeal to me.  I'd rather shoot one in fall after it had all summer to pack on some weight.  I'd expect tag wait times to be the same, still the same amount of bears to kill either way, would just be split into 2 seasons which I assume would mean less of a quota for the fall.

My wife has a tag this year for zone A, should be interesting.  My leftover bait from 2 years ago looks good yet, first time I saved it.  Most of it was either dry or in a sealed bucket.

5/12/20 @ 9:27 AM
ayeFeesh
User since 5/17/11

I think it will take less people to kill the same amount of bears in the spring. 3,600 per year is the goal.

They issue around 8,000-9,000 tags each fall. Only around 40% shoot a bear. In the spring you could have 80-90% success rate. If the tags stay the same that could be 7,000 bears killed.

5/11/20 @ 10:25 PM
big mac
MEMBER since 2/19/02

I understand your response. 

But it also might be flawed.

If Wisconsin does do a spring bear hunt, it doesn't for sure mean a GREATER delay in tags!

If we have a spring & fall hunt;

Wouldn't that increase the opportunities to hunt bear? If so, some hunters would choose spring & some in the fall.

So i DON'T see a big increase in years to recieve a kill tag.

Many of us have heard of a over-population of bears in the northern areas. So hopefully,  this would help the population in the north woods.

Just my opinion! No harm meant!

Big Mac 

5/9/20 @ 6:43 PM
ayeFeesh
User since 5/17/11

If the spring bear hunt passes expect wait times for tags to increase by 10 years. Good or bad, the success rate in the spring will be almost 100%. DNR will have no choice but to reduce available tags drastically. 

5/8/20 @ 7:54 PM
griff n
griff n
User since 6/17/11

I see the proposal for a spring bear hunt was voted for overwhelming . I have a hard time believing we will see that but I would love it. I personally would have no problem with baiters in spring and dogs in fall. Would end any baiters and dog guy issues.

DISPLAYING 51 TO 60 OF 2,701 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.