Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Wisconsin Bear Hunting

3/24/08 @ 8:41 PM
ORIGINAL POST
BearHillSportsman
User since 12/27/07
i got a tag this year for bear hunting and i amm looking for some advice. i am wondering wear i should bait on my land. the last 2 years i have had a friend and a family member hunt the same stand and both have seen bear and got them on the trail camera at the same stand. my dad thinks that i should hunt on the other side of the land which is across a fairly messy swamp. do bears really travel that far and through that much just to get food. any advice is greatly appreciated. thanks. notice the screen name. that is literally the spot that the bear have been seen and that is not a joke. the spot is called bearhill and that is the name of the road we r closest to.

DISPLAYING 41 TO 50 OF 2,701 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
5/16/20 @ 10:03 PM
ayeFeesh
User since 5/17/11

Thanks Steve. Good input. I did some more reading and most people seem to agree with what you posted.

As I've said, I think the spring season the harvest would be much higher. Its easier hunting. More about "population control" which you said as well. I'd rather not see that happen. The population would decline, available tags would decline. We'll all wait an extra 10 years for tags. 

If it ain't broke don't fix it.

5/16/20 @ 10:08 AM
percheye1
User since 6/24/01

Very good information Steve. Thank you for sharing. Im not sure where this question was on the hearing but probably has to pass again next year to get implemented. Please remind again before next years vote so guys dont think we are trying to just shoot down another hunting opportunity for no good reason.

5/16/20 @ 10:03 AM
Tr carper
Tr carper
User since 6/15/15

Thank you Steve I couldnt agree more. 

5/16/20 @ 6:50 AM
Steve White
User since 3/17/04

Yes, it has to do with the hibernation, and just natural causes.  sleeping in the same spot can cause rub spots. After waking up. Got some itches from sleeping, and the spring shedding of fur. That all animals go through. Resulting in some more rubbing.  Every year I think about selling the bags of hair my dogs loose. However Im sure you have seen that in wild animals. Deer can look pretty rough this time of year.  One last point about the hide.  Its not prime anymore. Same reason we do not trap in the spring! 

As far as the meat goes.  In the fall you are harvesting a bear. That has been feeding on sweets, berries, etc . All having an impact on the flavor.  A sweet meat if you will.  In the spring you will be harvesting a bear that has been absorbing its own fat to survive all winter.  Its going to be gamey.  Even after they wake. It can take a week or two. Before they start feeding on anything available. At first they eat what ever grasses they can to push out the plug, and get the digestive tract going.  Example of this is the spring hunts you will see on the coasts of Alaska.  You see them driving the boat around looking for bear that have come to the shore to feed on grasses.  Also the same reason nobody eats coastal brown bears. They eat a lot of fish.  making the meat gross.

Spring hunts are really only good for population management.  If they want to reduce the population that is. Canada has proven that several times over. Ontario, shut down the spring hunt because the population was going south. They did open it back up in a few parts. Where the population got high again. 

If we are not careful. We will end up just like Michigan. Seems like I have said that before!  Its gotten worse now!! Just a few years ago. The population was estimated at 18000.  Currently the population is estimated at 11000.  That's huge!!!  What happens to the opportunity then. Our population is holding overall, and  growing in some areas.  Let's not be Michigan!!

Now that is speaking from the stance of a sportsman. That wants to see the population continue to grow, and provide oppurtunities for decades to come.   As a guide.  Bring it on! That will double my client base.  Who cares if there are bear to hunt in 5, or 10 years. I'm making money now!!   Sounds pretty selfish doe it not!

5/15/20 @ 6:29 PM
ayeFeesh
User since 5/17/11

I've never heard that spring bear fur is junk and the meat is bad. Can anyone chime in why that is? Just from hibernating all winter?

5/15/20 @ 5:33 PM
Tr carper
Tr carper
User since 6/15/15

Samfox why have more opportunities when the fur is bad along with meat. Wouldn't that be killing a bear for no reason. But that's what the dnr likes kill everything. Look what they did to the deer population and now they're doing with the turkeys.

5/15/20 @ 4:11 PM
samfox
User since 3/17/09

Steve, the point is this.  The new DNR is all about more opportunities 

5/15/20 @ 11:58 AM
Tr carper
Tr carper
User since 6/15/15

Well said Steve. 

5/15/20 @ 7:18 AM
Steve White
User since 3/17/04

Spring hides are often junk.  The meat is often horrible.  So what's the point?  

5/14/20 @ 9:08 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09

Right that's the issue I saw with it.  They got rid of the class B license a while back.  I don't think you need anything to bait bears now and there is no bait site limit that I have heard of.

To be honest, even though it sucked to constantly run into bait stumps when scouting areas, I still found places to go and saw a lot of bears.  It wasn't the end of the world, but I agree the baits will be there regardless of spring or fall hunts.  Everyone can see satellite pictures and all that to find potential areas, not a lot of secrets these days. 

DISPLAYING 41 TO 50 OF 2,701 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.