Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Wisconsin Bear Hunting

3/24/08 @ 8:41 PM
ORIGINAL POST
BearHillSportsman
User since 12/27/07
i got a tag this year for bear hunting and i amm looking for some advice. i am wondering wear i should bait on my land. the last 2 years i have had a friend and a family member hunt the same stand and both have seen bear and got them on the trail camera at the same stand. my dad thinks that i should hunt on the other side of the land which is across a fairly messy swamp. do bears really travel that far and through that much just to get food. any advice is greatly appreciated. thanks. notice the screen name. that is literally the spot that the bear have been seen and that is not a joke. the spot is called bearhill and that is the name of the road we r closest to.

DISPLAYING 31 TO 40 OF 2,701 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
7/27/20 @ 10:04 PM
DoorTayOutdoors
User since 3/7/07

So far I've seen several bears on camera on trail heading towards bear  bait spot. I put in new vear stump out over a month ago and covered it with a heavy chunk of wood.  I am starting baiting this week.  Seems like the biggest one is checking bait  spot to see if there's any bait there. Good sign. Almost all the pics were around 7 pm or 6 am

7/21/20 @ 9:18 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09

I don't think you are unique in wanting a big bear, everyone wants a big bear.  Just make sure the guides tell you what is realistic to expect.  Also define what you consider big.  Bears usually are not as big as people think they are, especially the first time you see one.  

I started 1 bait last weekend.  Its a spot where we always have bears, just wanted to get it going.  Going to spend this next weekend looking for a few new places.  My past bait runs have been pretty far apart and I'm looking to shorten the distance.  Hate to give up one of the spots since its been good to us, but its a hike from all the others.  

7/21/20 @ 8:36 AM
Perchin'
User since 1/24/02

So I never hunter bear, always wanted to.  Love duck, goose, deer, grouse, and quail hunting.  I'm up to 13 points, so that should get me in anywhere.  Where do I start?  Looking for a great guide that will give me a great chance at a trophy.  I may or may not ever hunt bear again, but have been saving up points for a great trip.  Looking to do that in 2021.  I think I would rather hunt with dogs, but I'm open to suggestions.  With the new zones, how do preference points even work?  Is my best shot at a big bear up in Zone A?  Again, open to suggestions or recommendations.

7/19/20 @ 8:33 PM
big mac
MEMBER since 2/19/02

Thanks Donski!

Big Mac 

7/19/20 @ 1:44 PM
Donski
User since 8/11/14

Yes you can now apply for your points. They just posted the new zones.

7/19/20 @ 11:47 AM
big mac
MEMBER since 2/19/02

When i bought my Patron's license,  i couldn't buy a bear preference point yet.

Can ww now buy one?

Thanks,

Big Mac 

7/19/20 @ 7:49 AM
Donski
User since 8/11/14

My nephew is looking for someone that would be interested in transferring a tag to his 9 year old son for Zone C. They were unable to draw one this year.

7/17/20 @ 11:30 PM
Sheriffbrownstar
User since 1/19/18

Hey guys and gals.  I drew a tag this year for zone d.  I may be looking to do the transfer deal with a youth or military member new to this posting thing so I know this is in a comments section but it's what I got to work.  If anyone knows any youth or military looking to accept a transfer.  It's not for sure yet but if I get laid off I wont be able to go thanks.

6/11/20 @ 7:09 AM
Donski
User since 8/11/14

Check out the below link on spring bear hunting. I hunted spring bear in Ont. when you could hunt on your own without a outfitter and this is the same experience I have had.

https://www.outdoorcanada.ca/dining-on-black-bear/#:~:text=A%20younger%20bear%20is%20more,it%20has%20almost%20no%20fat.

6/10/20 @ 4:09 PM
yamatroller
User since 5/7/06

Rumor has it that some of the Maple Syrup guys in Forest County in the Laona area are getting permits to shoot some bear. They are having trouble with bears wrecking their main maple sap lines that are left up year around that they use to get the sap from the trees to the tank. 

DISPLAYING 31 TO 40 OF 2,701 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.