Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Wisconsin Bear Hunting

3/24/08 @ 8:41 PM
ORIGNAL POST
BearHillSportsman
User since 12/27/07
i got a tag this year for bear hunting and i amm looking for some advice. i am wondering wear i should bait on my land. the last 2 years i have had a friend and a family member hunt the same stand and both have seen bear and got them on the trail camera at the same stand. my dad thinks that i should hunt on the other side of the land which is across a fairly messy swamp. do bears really travel that far and through that much just to get food. any advice is greatly appreciated. thanks. notice the screen name. that is literally the spot that the bear have been seen and that is not a joke. the spot is called bearhill and that is the name of the road we r closest to.

DISPLAYING 31 TO 40 OF 2,637 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
9/13/19 @ 9:17 PM
Tr carper
Tr carper
User since 6/15/15

Luv great stuff and keep up the good work. Steve keep the posts coming I enjoy reading your posts. I hope you get GT he is a beast. I was up in florence county running with some good friends one of them got a really  nice boar on Thursday. The best part was he got share the moment with is wife and 2 young sons. Can't do that sitting over bait. The best part of running hounds is it's a family affair. Good luck to everyone the rest of the way. Remember release those hounds.

9/13/19 @ 11:58 AM
CWScoach
User since 6/7/18

My son shot a decent bear last weekend.  When we skinned it out it had about a little bit more fat then a buck in the rut.  Hide was good, 17” green skull, no apparent injuries.  Tasted fine.  Any ideas.  Field dressed at 175 so I’m guessing about a 205 pound live weight.  Woulda been a bigger boar w his fat. Maybe 250???  Zone c

9/13/19 @ 9:46 AM
Tim_T
User since 6/17/11

LUV,

I donated my tag to USSA 3 years ago and a young man from Michigan got a bear too. Good feeling to allow someone else the opportunity isn't it?

Tim

9/13/19 @ 6:21 AM
LUVtheOTDRS
LUVtheOTDRS
User since 11/15/06
Thanks Steve!!  Got pics to load now.  Had to load from my PC.  Mobile wasn't working...  Hope you get a crack at that beast, he's a giant.

Best of luck to all the rest of season.

9/12/19 @ 9:57 PM
Steve White
MEMBER since 3/17/04

Luv, that is awesome!!!!  Congrats to him!!

This weather is just horrible!  No matter, dogs are why baits are not hit,

All my hunters were out of the woods by 630 thankfully, Thunder, and lightning not so much fun for hunting.

Surprisingly 16 of 22 baits hit.  6 during the day by small bears. 5 hit by monsters, GT being the king today. Big momma with her babies as well.

If I had the right hunter.  Would have played with GT.  72 yr old hunter, fresh off knee replacement. We are not going to play a ground war. When its my wifes turn.  Its game on!!'

Yesterdays rain,  or todays wind. Really cleaned up the cherry trees. After tonights storms. Doubt will be much left of any berries.  Mushrooms could be a problem though.

The big shocker this year. Is Big Momma.  No doubt it is her with cubs this year.  2 yrs without them. Close to dying twice last year. The real shock is the weight loss.  The pair of cubs id say each took 50 lbs off her!!  Maybe more, but a drastic difference!!  After season ends. I will put together several years of pics to see this drastic change.  Amazing stuff!

This weather will break, and baits will get hit, Just got to put the time in!!

Pic is GT last night being a tease!!

9/12/19 @ 8:19 PM
LUVtheOTDRS
LUVtheOTDRS
User since 11/15/06

I had the privilege of hunting with my good friend since high schools 60 year old Dad over the weekend. Had an absolute blast and Jim was able to harvest his very first bear, and a very good one at that! A 308 pound fawn eating boar! He had bone fragments and large segments of deer hide in his stomach. That was a first for me! 

9/12/19 @ 8:16 PM
LUVtheOTDRS
LUVtheOTDRS
User since 11/15/06

My friend donated his tag to USSA. A 13 year old boy named Cooper from Mississippi was the lucky recipient! We were fortunate to be able to hunt with Cooper, his older brother Adam, and their grandparents over the weekend. Cooper was lucky enough to harvest a bear on his very first day of bear hunting in his life! The excitement on these type of hunts is unparalleled folks...

9/12/19 @ 5:10 PM
Dirty Jim
User since 2/25/14

Yamatroller I'm going to have to disagree with your theory. Us dog hunters have been running bear off are baits since july 1st. Still no problems getting baits hit. Maybe these guys should try some different bait or change it up. Instead of blaming dog hunters!!

9/11/19 @ 10:56 PM
Steve White
MEMBER since 3/17/04

Thought I would have at least 10 sitters in the woods tonight.  Not sure why, but only 3 of 10 booked were out.  Along with 1 dog guy booked for 3rd week.  1 I know wont be around until the weekend.  1 was a major prioity  for them on this hunt.  Now wont show up until the 20th for 1 day.  Will discuss future dates that day. WTF???   Not heard a word from 4 others!

Sadly,  as expected with the weather. Nothing was seen tonight.  Got to give the guys credit for sitting through the rain. Dont  look good for tomorrow. 

I dont expect much, if anything to be hit.  No doubt, weather has nothing to do with it.  It will be because of the dogs in my truck!!  LMAO!!

9/11/19 @ 11:00 AM
Steve White
MEMBER since 3/17/04

I got 22 baits getting hit daily.  Lots of big bear movement. Many new big bears have been showing up. 2 big boars with sows right now as well!!  Lots of mast in the woods. A lot of the chokes were taken down by recent storms.  Im real surprised by the activity level with the mast. Growly, and his GF coupe days ago. Hit 11 of my baits in a 12hr period!! GT hitting baits 4 miles apart.  

Been real slow with the dogs.  Not catching a break yet. Either it has been big bears, or 80 pounders.  The  2 decent bear we had went to private so dogs were pulled. 3 days came home with nothing to run. With growly, and GT both coming in just before or after ones we could run.  Today was the 2nd day we got run out by storms. Our luck, the last bait I checked. Had a nice 3-350 on it.  I thought about, and said nope!  15mins later it was pouring!!

First evening sit for sitters might be a wet one.  Going to be a game of whack a mole for 5 of our sitters. Growly and GT have been hitting 7 different baits. Normally 3-4 each day. Rotating them for some reason. I know where they were yesterday, and every day before.  Where they will be today. I have asked, but they just wont tell me. However, they both agreed to call BS!! On that dog thing!! Although, you can see he is clearly upset with Zeke. For pissing on the lid to his cookie jar about 8 am that morning!!

DISPLAYING 31 TO 40 OF 2,637 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.